Is Schiano turning Rutgers into a mini-Miami football program? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Schiano turning Rutgers into a mini-Miami football program?

Ronnie Bass

R.I.P. - Nick is God
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of people who first read the title to my thread will scoff, but before you do that take these things into consideration first:

1) Schiano was the Defensive Coordinator for Miami.

2) He uses the same concept that Miami does when building their defense, speed and athletes over size and power.

3) He has an amazing strong hold in Florida when it comes to recruiting and is grabbing players that Miami has had an eye on as well. In other words he is looking for the same type of players that Miami recruits.

4) Offense, pretty similar with focusing on a strong line where on unlike on defense size and power is important for a strong running game and protecting a QB who is not of the best talent but good enough to get the job done. Much like Miami.

5) Has them playing on ESPN - mostly because they are the only Division I team in the NYC area - almost every week and we all know recruits eat that **** up.

And I think these reasons and many others is why he didn't bolt RU, because he knows with getting the best Jersey HS recruits - and from a state that is vastly underrated in producing Division I talent - that he has all he needs to make it work up here and perhaps turn this program into something similar that Miami has had for years.

Really think about it, that's all I ask.

*waits for numerous Rutgers recruits to get arrested on firearms and drug charges

It takes more than 1 good season to be mentioned in the same breadth as Miami or to think the school is headed in that direction. He might have a good thing going but he isnt pulling down top recruits in FL or his own state for that matter. I think you are underestimating how good Miami was for awhile there or vastly overrating what Schiano has done so far.

It takes more than 1 good season to be mentioned in the same breadth as Miami or to think the school is headed in that direction. He might have a good thing going but he isnt pulling down top recruits in FL or his own state for that matter. I think you are underestimating how good Miami was for awhile there or vastly overrating what Schiano has done so far.

Well keep in mind that the reason I used the word "mini" was not to make any confusion with Miami's success and not try to suggest that RU will ever reach their level of success the last couple decades but just suggest that Schinao is using Miami's blueprints he learned personally to make RU a Big East powerhouse and one to be reckon with, that's all man.

Well keep in mind that the reason I used the word "mini" was not to make any confusion with Miami's success and not try to suggest that RU will ever reach their level of success the last couple decades but just suggest that Schinao is using Miami's blueprints he learned personally to make RU a Big East powerhouse and one to be reckon with, that's all man.

In that case I think he can and will keep them relevent (annual top 25) and potential Big East powerhouses.

*waits for numerous Rutgers recruits to get arrested on firearms and drug charges

:sidelol: Don't they have to get in a Brawl first too?

In all seriousness Rutgers will never be close to Miami cause Rutgers will never get the recruits. I mean they will have a couple of good seasons and than probably drop off alittle bit.

In all seriousness Rutgers will never be close to Miami cause Rutgers will never get the recruits. I mean they will have a couple of good seasons and than probably drop off alittle bit.

Uh, they have been getting recruits and are finally starting to keep the blue chippers from Jersey, check it out for yourself. The WR who scored two TD's the other night in the Texas Bowl - Tim Brown, runs a 4.27 - choose RU over Miami as well as this top HS player:

http://rutgers.scout.com/2/601749.html

Nicolas had made trips to UCF, ASU, and Wisconsin before the Rutgers trip. He was scheduled to visit Miami in January. “I am not going to take the Miami trip. I am done. Rutgers is the place for meâ€Â.

I also don't understand why you would think they would drop off, they are the only Division I team in the nations biggest market and New Jersey has always been a very underrated state when it comes to producing football players, especially athletic ones.

I know it's hard to believe that Rutgers could be a top college football program, but don't forget that Miami from 1970-79 produced a sub-.500 record until Howard Schnellenberger took over Miami's program and I betcha there were plenty of doubters who thought the same thing as you - Miami couldn't keep up with this.

Uh, they have been getting recruits and are finally starting to keep the blue chippers from Jersey, check it out for yourself. The WR who scored two TD's the other night in the Texas Bowl - Tim Brown, runs a 4.27 - choose RU over Miami as well as this top HS player:

http://rutgers.scout.com/2/601749.html

I also don't understand why you would think they would drop off, they are the only Division I team in the nations biggest market and New Jersey has always been a very underrated state when it comes to producing football players, especially athletic ones.

I know it's hard to believe that Rutgers could be a top college football program, but don't forget that Miami from 1970-79 produced a sub-.500 record until Howard Schnellenberger took over Miami's program and I betcha there were plenty of doubters who thought the same thing as you - Miami couldn't keep up with this.

:lol: Wow that is decent, But no where near a blue chipper. Just because he runs a 4.28 does not make him great. We will have to wait and see on him and a couple of guys is not getting the job done like the Big school. They did not get most of the great talent in New Jersey either. Look at the below recruitng pages....

Rutger's commits from New Jersey
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=183&p=9&c=8&yr=2007&toinid=675&iSchoolStateProvinceId=84

Top Players in New Jersey and where they are going.. (these are only committed players)
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=183&p=9&c=8&yr=2007&toinid=-1&iSchoolStateProvinceId=84

This is the Rankings of the Top 30 players from New Jersey (Rivals)
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1541&Year=2007

This is there current player on Rivals... There rank is also 45th in the country
http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2007&School=66

This is there current player on Scouts... There rank is 28th in the country
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=183&p=9&c=8&toinid=675&yr=2007

Now this proves that they are not getting the best talent in there own state and have no where near a great class. Rutgers will never be a great team like Miami or other schools, But they can be good every so often and contend in there confernce which is not great. Also keeping Greg Schiano is going to be hard too do when a team can really throw some money at him. Sorry I just don't think Rutgers will be a great college team for years and I think they are just a great story right now.

Nichols wasn't getting attention from Miami. He wasn't even an after thought considering Miami is getting Major Wright, Damien Berry and Doug Wiggins. Not to mention the safety class of 2008.

lol and Tim Brown wasn't even offered.

There is a huge difference. Miami is from, well, Miami. The football talent haven of the world. Rutgers is from New Jersey. NJ has no where near the talent as Miami, it isn't even remotely comparable.

Good assessment, Skeet. Rutgers is improving, including recruiting...but some posters on here have teh rose colored glasses syndrome. I mean, Rutgers did go to the Texas bowl this year.

Nichols wasn't getting attention from Miami. He wasn't even an after thought considering Miami is getting Major Wright, Damien Berry and Doug Wiggins. Not to mention the safety class of 2008.

lol and Tim Brown wasn't even offered.

There is a huge difference. Miami is from, well, Miami. The football talent haven of the world. Rutgers is from New Jersey. NJ has no where near the talent as Miami, it isn't even remotely comparable.

I don't think Major Wright will be a Hurricane. I am thinking Florida or Ohio State.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=48382&Sport=1 (Rivals)

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2409296 (Scout)

Good assessment, Skeet. Rutgers is improving, including recruiting...but some posters on here have teh rose colored glasses syndrome. I mean, Rutgers did go to the Texas bowl this year.

You do know that they were one OT away from the Sugar or Orange Bowl.

Back
Top Bottom