Is this the only NFL board that doesn't load on game days? And you expect me to pay? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is this the only NFL board that doesn't load on game days? And you expect me to pay?

It's been great since the migration. But it's expected really, after all the sudden traffic.

Maybe the OP should get off dial up and check out broadband. Sheessh!

I hope you don't think that somehow justifies the performance of the servers. Because... it doesn't.

I won't talk about Amazon/Google/whatever, because obviously the infrastructure is not the same. But I'll give you an example more akin to this.

A couple of weeks ago I had to supervise a series of tests by a medical board. They handled about 800 students, simultaneously, using a web app on a localized server (meaning, using LAN). They had the works: heavyset servers (dual, quad-core processors at around 3 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, etc), 1 Gb wired LAN, the laptops used to take the tests were pretty decent... and the test broke down as soon as the students started.

After a few hours of debugging their configurations, app, etc., the solution was simple. A couple of misconfigured parameters in SQL Server, and a pathetic table that was meant to hold every single student's answers... without indexing. Yeah. Obviously after that, the tests went as smoothly as possible. By their hardware, they could've supported the entire student body (they did this on 10 different cities, around 800 students on each) even remotely, and the servers wouldn't have even blinked.

My point is, the numbers shouldn't matter. 600 simultaneous users is nothing. Nothing.

Hell, 6000 simultaneous users is nothing as well. You have to go to the 10s or 100s of thousands to even make a server notice.

FWIW, yeah, the server is running pretty well today. But it has been an issue, and is worth talking about it.
hey i'm sure you're right about your numbers etc, however in the past this board would be down for 12 hours etc, At this point from what I can tell the majority of our users are only, and posting. This is directly attributable to our new servers hosted by webtractive, of which Henrik is the man. We had zero downtime during the preseason, and if my own experience today is an indication, at most there was 10 minutes today at the end of the game where my own experience (using hughesnet) was hindered by a slowdown. Of which I'd hazzard a guess that we had multiple users decide to log in at nearly the same time. You're right a good server can handle tons of traffic, but even the best servers will have an issues with multiple people logging in at the same time. if you want to discuss performance with anyone, i'm sure henrik would answer your pm.

I don't pay for VIP so I don't complain about the slowdowns.

I must say it has improved greatly. Back in '08 the board would be immobilized for 3-4 hours after the game.

Maybe if more people paid for VIP they could upgrade the equipment. The site is much better then when I first joined. I had no problem until the game ended and it got a little slow.

hey i'm sure you're right about your numbers etc, however in the past this board would be down for 12 hours etc, At this point from what I can tell the majority of our users are only, and posting. This is directly attributable to our new servers hosted by webtractive, of which Henrik is the man. We had zero downtime during the preseason, and if my own experience today is an indication, at most there was 10 minutes today at the end of the game where my own experience (using hughesnet) was hindered by a slowdown. Of which I'd hazzard a guess that we had multiple users decide to log in at nearly the same time. You're right a good server can handle tons of traffic, but even the best servers will have an issues with multiple people logging in at the same time. if you want to discuss performance with anyone, i'm sure henrik would answer your pm.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly; it's been improving constantly. And I think it goes to the heart of what this site once was: no one foresaw what it would become. So as it's grown, so have the servers.

In reality I'm not quite complaining; I understand that growing pains are a reality with all web apps. Particularly when they're very popular ;) But my point is, Finheaven (as a community) shouldn't brush off this kind of posts as rubbish; while the OP has an awful delivery, the content is valid.

Hey, it's a happy day. Let's all go get drunk and celebrate the victory :D

It used to be much, much worse. Not so much a problem anymore. OP is a childish ***, but the complaint is sorta valid. The poor performance I used to experience pretty much killed any chance I'd actually pay to post here.

Maybe if more people paid for VIP they could upgrade the equipment. The site is much better then when I first joined. I had no problem until the game ended and it got a little slow.

I agree.

BTW, where can I get that little "server xfer survivor" badge? I survived it too! ;)

So I'm childish for complaining? I admit I could have had more tact but ****, If no one complains it will never get fixed.

And terrible performance honestly would not make me want to pay for VIP. They offer a service for a price, I would expect them to want to hear customers, or potential customers opinions on the matter.

I'm on 1mbps cable.

So I'm childish for complaining? I admit I could have had more tact but ****, If no one complains it will never get fixed.

I'm on 1mbps cable.
complaining? yes it was childish how you complained.

"i'm leaving and taking my toys with me, and you can't make me pay for vip" vs... Hey you guys upgraded to new servers, yet i'm still having trouble with finheaven slowing down/being down etc. Is there any plans to fix this?

Which of those two statements looks more constructive?

Back
Top Bottom