Is Wright Worth The Pick? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Wright Worth The Pick?

This could be a sign for the future. If we are going to continue the 4-3 D, then we might give a 4th. If we are definitely going the 3-4 route, we will pass. I do think that Wright has value in that he was #3 behind to good DTs and would start this year if eligible.

LAphinfan said:
We got Channing Crowder this year in the 3rd and that is where Wright will probably go. Even with all the hype I don't think any NFL team is silly enough (now that Wannstedt and Spielman have 'resigned') to deal a 2nd for a backup DT who has potential but also some baggage. Who would you rather have? Crowder or Wright? I rest my case.
To tell the truth, I don't know which I'd rather have...

NEITHER have played a single down in the NFL. IF (I hope not) Crowder gets hurt in Training camp and never plays a down... people will be cursing why we got him. Now that is an extreme, but you can't make that opinion yet. BOTH have question marks. That is why neither went in the first round...

I wouldnt go higher than a 4th rounder, but thats probably why im not in an NFL front office somewhere.

So many DL's.

I wouldn't give anything over a fouth round pick for him. I know we are building for the future and all, but has anyone taken a look at how many DL and DE we have. Even when the first cut come around we will still have more than enough. If it was a CB or an OL, I'm all for it.

Oboy said:
To tell the truth, I don't know which I'd rather have...

NEITHER have played a single down in the NFL. IF (I hope not) Crowder gets hurt in Training camp and never plays a down... people will be cursing why we got him. Now that is an extreme, but you can't make that opinion yet. BOTH have question marks. That is why neither went in the first round...

OK... since NEITHER have played in the NFL yet... what should you judge them by? How about talent... and Crowder has Wright killed talent wise. And we have seen what he can do on the college level which was be great. We havent seen that out of Wright. I know it isnt his fault because he was behind those studs... but still. We havent seen him be great on the college level where as we have wit Crowder. Plus... Crowder is definatly more talented. Dont try to compare Wright to Crowder... bad idea... :tsk:

Nasty

Personally,

I think the third round is the highest Miami would take him...
my fear is that if he is good...a team that is close to winning the whole thing such as the Eagles might grab him with a late second.

finsnchips said:
This is an extremely uneducated view.

He only started 2 games because he played behind a couple of all-americans in Patterson and Cody.

He is neither lazy nor unfocused - he just hasn't got the grades.

I was thinking the exact same thing.
On top of all you mentioned, the kid was only a Sophmore. He had 2 years remaining! A sophomore DT playing behind 2 all americans = lazy and unfocused. :shakeno:

If the Phins scouts think he has great upside then I'm all for taking the shot. Drafting a player in the supplemental gives you a full season jump on other players you would be drafting next year. If he's good we'd have a DT ready to go full bore in 2006 instead of bringing in a rookie to struggle through his first NFL season. The question is what pick he's worth.

Miamibyrd_24 said:
I know we are building for the future and all, but has anyone taken a look at how many DL and DE we have. Even when the first cut come around we will still have more than enough. If it was a CB or an OL, I'm all for it.

:hmmm:

Which team would you be talking about?

The Phins have serious troubles at DT.
Bowens retired, Larry Chester's future is in serious doubt with his health issues, Keith Traylor is nothing more than a 1 yr. stop gap at the position and there's no one after that. We brought in a number of guys that are DE's NOT DT.

DT is a much more serious concern for the future than OL or CB.

Nasty said:
OK... since NEITHER have played in the NFL yet... what should you judge them by? How about talent... and Crowder has Wright killed talent wise. And we have seen what he can do on the college level which was be great. We havent seen that out of Wright. I know it isnt his fault because he was behind those studs... but still. We havent seen him be great on the college level where as we have wit Crowder. Plus... Crowder is definatly more talented. Dont try to compare Wright to Crowder... bad idea... :tsk:

Nasty
I was comparing to the point that BOTH could still turn out to be a bust. BOTH have lots of questions. That is the reason Crowder fell as far as he did. If he was that much of a sure thing he would have gone in the first round.

Everyone has said Wright has loads of talent. Just not too bright and never got a chance to play behind one first round and one second round pick. There have been some great players to come out like that.

I think Saban needs him and I think he will offer a 3rd. Hopefully, a 4th would do it, but I think we lose him with that offer.

I would not waste a 1st day pick on this guy and I do not expect Saban will either....

a 4th rounder is as high as I see Saban going...

He'll probably go in the 3rd or 4th, but could possibly fool a team into selecting him at #2. These numbers are high only because of the hype going into the supplemental draft. If he was part of the last regular draft, he would have probably barely cracked the fourth round.

Back
Top Bottom