Its 3 and 1 in Jets' territory...we run a play-action pass?!?!?! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Its 3 and 1 in Jets' territory...we run a play-action pass?!?!?!

It was actually a great call. They were probably in 4-down territory. So, on 3rd and 1, with the Jets hopefully overplaying the run, you call a play action pass and hope to burn them for a big play. If it fails, you run for it on 4th down. But, Harrington's terrible decision and Hadnot's dumb penalty spoiled that. And on the play itself, you see Chambers deep, with 2 defenders, but he's actually able to get separation from both and was open. A QB with a strong arm makes that throw.

Yeah, but we dont have a QB with a strong arm. That is what I was getting at. We dont have a Palmer or Manning back there that can execute that perfectly. It was a complete bonehead move on Mularkey's part. All we had to do was run it up the gut and BINGO...first down.:tantrum:

If Saban stays (which I think he will) I really hope we replace Mularkey with a competant OC.

Notice how much better Buffalo is than last year under Mularkey?

The Pittsburgh offenses weren't any great shakes when he was their OC.

How about third and inches, and you call a pass play - with only one receiver running a pattern - Wes Welker - who's totally double covered.

H U H ? ? ? ? W H A T ? ? ? ?

However - losing like we did is likely the best thing for us. Better picks in the draft - when we're already out of the playoffs....

Enough Mularkey ...

Buffalo's offense is still like the second worst to Oakland (in terms of scoring points I believe before this weekend). It's not like the loss of Mularkey has improved them that greatly. Mularkey went 8-8 his first year I believe too, so I wouldn't be saying how much better off they are yet.

I agree though. I literally thought we could pound the ball all the way down the field that drive. You see how pumped Ronnie Brown was too? I mean look at the drive chart...

Ronnie Brown no gain
Ronnie Brown for 12 yards
Ronnie Brown for 11 yards
Pass incomplete to Chambers
Ronnie Brown for 9 yards

How do you not keep giving him the ball there? They're at the 41 yard line of NY. A few thoughts on the play. I think Miami called it thinking that if they didn't get it they were going for it on 4th. However, Joey had a brain fart by throwing it away to no one while in the pocket, thus the Intentional Grounding. Also, if he had waited Chambers was open on the deep post. My problem is not only that, but why run just a one man route? No check down? Also, I'm assuming it was an option route for Chambers to cut it in or out depending on Kerry Rhodes, why didn't he cut it up sooner? The DB was ahead of him and Kerry Rhodes was back. All he had to do was cut across the middle and he could have ran it in probably. ESPN did a good job of showing the field.

He's another drive that pissed me off, but Joey screwed it up by checking to a sweep.

Ronnie Brown for 10 yards
Ronnie Brown for 5 yards
Ronnie Brown for 6 yards
Ronnie Brown for 7 yards...

Now we're at a 2nd a 3 at the NYJ 37 yard line and Joey checks to a sweep right into the heart of the blitz and Sammy loses 4 yards setting up a 3rd and 7 in which he throws it up to Chambers in 1-on-1 coverage and Chambers drops it.

Those 2 drives, I thought we could literally run it every play and get into scoring position. I didn't think they could stop us at all.

This was the play that lead to the intentional grounding, then the personal foul.

It was mind boggling that Murlarkey would run a play action pass on 3rd and 1 when Ronnie was avg was 6.5 yrds per carry.:tantrum:

I know this is beating a dead horse, but Murlarkey should be fired for the simple fact that he abandons the run and wants to get all "cutesy". I would be okay with some of those plays he runs, but we dont have a Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer in the backfield. We are using our 2nd and 3rd string QBs...KEEP IT SIMPLE!

All I can say is:

:monkeyr:
clear.gif
:monkeyl:

How do you not keep giving him the ball there? They're at the 41 yard line of NY. A few thoughts on the play. I think Miami called it thinking that if they didn't get it they were going for it on 4th. However, Joey had a brain fart by throwing it away to no one while in the pocket, thus the Intentional Grounding. Also, if he had waited Chambers was open on the deep post. My problem is not only that, but why run just a one man route? No check down? Also, I'm assuming it was an option route for Chambers to cut it in or out depending on Kerry Rhodes, why didn't he cut it up sooner? The DB was ahead of him and Kerry Rhodes was back. All he had to do was cut across the middle and he could have ran it in probably. ESPN did a good job of showing the field.

I have to disagree some. I think they were still 7-8 yards away from going for it on 4th down. In a close game like that I doubt they would want to give the Jets the ball at the 41.

And judging from what I saw on the replay, Chambers didn't look open to me. I thought they had him blanketed pretty well. In coverage like that the defenders don't need to be hanging on Chamber's shirttail, they just need to take away passing lanes, forcing Harrington to make a perfect pass, which he wasn't going to do.

Back
Top Bottom