Jacksonville Jaguars | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jacksonville Jaguars

phinfan33

Club Member
Reaction score
They have made Doug Marrone their new HC; and have hired Tom Coughlin to be their new VP of Football Ops. I saw this on my B/R app.

Coughlin back in Jacksonville where it all began for the Jags. Interesting and good for him.

Good move for Jacksonville. I like Marrone.

That team was criminally overrated heading into 2016. The season win over/under went from 5.5 in 2015 to 7.5 in 2016. When you see something like that it's invariably an overreaction. I had the under and so did most of my friends. I'm kicking myself for not playing higher but I was mostly focused on playing Cincinnati under 9.5. That team was almost a cinch to decline sharply in 2016, as I posted here immediately after they blew the playoff game to Pittsburgh. Too much expended energy for so many seasons, with nothing to show for it. There had to be a lull. But the Bengals have a good chance to rebound in 2017. They still own many Cream elements.

Blake Bortles could be a coach killer. That's the obstacle for Marrone. Bortles has a horrendous release and exemplifies the playing smarts of a cow chip. I wanted to like him out of Central Florida. I thought he was drafted too high but not until watching and listening to him as a pro did I realize what a dunce he was. I understand Trent Dilfer called Bortles the worst quarterback in the NFL. I can't disagree. Even if others are technically worse, they are quickly dispensable, not someone the franchise is committed to.

I can't really root for Jacksonville with those uniforms and that logo. Their annual misery seems like deserved punishment.

Interesting Move

Totally understand the Coughlin hire. May not work but given his innate connection to the Jags understandable nonetheless.
Gives the team some sort of FO credibility. Seems like he is de facto GM kind of like Tbaum in Miami though carries a title of execute VP.
Coughlin clearly wanted to get back into it, but I was really skeptical that he could realistically coach again.
This may offer a way for him to stay in the business without the grueling task of coaching.
That said will he be able to transition? Will it work?
Parcells did it but he had some experience of being a Czar in dallas, and hand picked henchmen to do the day to day operations

I am less sure about Marrone.
He is solid. Will likely continue to be solid. I guess all they are asking is for a return to the mid tier.

I'm still not sure how i feel about these moves, but this is a really good point:

Coughlin won two Super Bowls as coach of the New York Giants, but he achieved arguably an equally impressive accomplishment in getting the Jaguars into the AFC Championship Game during their second year of existence, then leading them to a 14-2 record and the AFC Championship Game again three years later.

Coughlin did that because of his work as de facto general manager, as much as his coaching, and that’s certainly an area in which the Jaguars can use some help -- especially when it comes to first-round draft picks.

Caldwell has done a good job hitting on players in Rounds 2 through 5, but he has nailed only one of his four first-round picks:

Offensive tackle Luke Joeckel (2013) never developed into a dominating player and was moved to guard this season, before suffering a serious knee injury that landed him on the injured reserve list. Quarterback Blake Bortles (2014) had a breakout year in 2015, but he regressed this past season; there now are questions about whether he should be the long-term starter. Defensive end Dante Fowler Jr. (2015) missed his rookie season with a torn ACL and had maturity and consistency issues this past season to go along with 4.0 sacks.

Caldwell did hit a home run with cornerback Jalen Ramsey, who is a candidate for defensive rookie of the year. The Jaguars routinely put him on the opponent’s best receiver, and he did not allow a touchdown pass all season in one-on-one coverage.

In his first tour with the Jaguars, Coughlin nailed his first-round draft picks. His very first one -- offensive tackle Tony Boselli at No. 2 overall in 1995 -- is the best player in franchise history and has a good chance of becoming the first Jaguars player inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

In 1996, Coughlin drafted linebacker Kevin Hardy, followed by defensive tackle Renaldo Wynn (1997), running back Fred Taylor and safety Donovin Darius in 1998, then defensive back Fernando Bryant in 1999. After missing on receiver R. Jay Soward in 2000, Coughlin drafted defensive tackles Marcus Stroud (2001) and John Henderson (2002), two of the best defensive players in team history.

Six of his top picks were studs -- including the team’s all-time leading rusher (Taylor) -- and two others turned out to be good players. Not a bad batting average.

http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonvil...n-repeat-what-he-did-in-franchises-early-days

Back
Top Bottom