jamie Nails | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

jamie Nails

finfan54

Active Roster
Reaction score
I hate to tell ya all this but Jamie Nails was way worse than spriggs. but nails had Norman Hand, who still wears dolphin boxer shorts because of Jimmy johnson.:cry:

Have you seen the game live yet? If not, don't make any judgements until you see it. To me it sounded like Spriggs had trouble, due to the guys that were pounding Jay (Charles Grant...who came from Fiedler's blindside according to the report). Norman Hand did make a play or two though...to be expected. But on Ricky's 8 yard run the hole was reportedly ripped wide open by the middle of the line, Nails, Ruddy, and Perry.

I watched the game. The OL with Spriggs-Nails-Ruddy-Perry-Wade looked good in pass protection for the most part. They were way too inconsistent in run blocking though. A couple of times they really blew off the line, and Ricky ran good. Most of the time though, they were being pushed back on running plays.

After McKinnie was substituted for Ruddy, and Searcy for Perry, the OL seemed to be much better to me, especially run blocking. JMHO

Oh, and Hand did get by Nails when he stuffed Ricky for a loss. Nails barely laid a hand on him(no pun intended).

Originally posted by relive1972
After McKinney was substituted for Ruddy, and Searcy for Perry, the OL seemed to be much better to me, especially run blocking. JMHO
interesting observation though Ruddy is sure to start this year, but Perry...

Now I was unable to see the game, but from a lowlight shown on various outlets Nails made an unexcusable play in letting Norman Hand blow by him on a run and Nail Ricky for a big loss.

I did see the game on tape delay and the replays shown. Nails and Spriggs didn't do so well. Hand was pushing Nails around and the rookie defensive end the saints got for Ricky's frist round pick was blowing past Spriggs. The left side of the OL has to be fixed before the season starts or Norv will have to be very clever with the game plan and play calling.

No smack talk here intended.

That is what I have been trying to point out about Nails. For being such a big guy you would think that he could pancake guys in runblocking but it is one of his weakess assets. It is very puzzling why, but I have seen him get stuffed by guys half his size. This is not smack talk here, it is the reality of what I have seen from watching him play since he was a rookie. He just doesn't get it and doesn't seem to have that meanstreak that a good lineman can possess. :confused:

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Have you seen the game live yet? If not, don't make any judgements until you see it. To me it sounded like Spriggs had trouble, due to the guys that were pounding Jay (Charles Grant...who came from Fiedler's blindside according to the report). Norman Hand did make a play or two though...to be expected. But on Ricky's 8 yard run the hole was reportedly ripped wide open by the middle of the line, Nails, Ruddy, and Perry.

why do i need to watch the tape? i watched it live. then i watched all the stuff on ricky on ESPN. but yes in detail i did not get much more than the obvious. But Grant didnt really school spriggs. he did good on one or two decent plays but bascially the pass protection was good. i think our pass blocking we wont have any trouble at all. whether spriggs or dixon or smith. Nails needs some time in on first string. but he is experienced. i have faith in him. norman Hand wanted to kill us out there. norman hand didnt want ricky doing nothing! Nails got plugged into the the starting role overnight and all of a sudden he is against a probowler. so i dont read too much into it. same goes for spriggs. spriggs problem will be that they love dixon and he is more athletic so spriggs will just have to start kicking some ass. competion is good.

Finfan54....first off, you were right. I assumed you hadn't seen the game because there's no way that ANYONE could have seen it live unless they were AT the game. The game was blacked out locally, only to be shown on tape delay at 8pm on Friday on the local TV stations...then Saturday 3:30pm to everyone else in Florida (nobody outside of FL could have possibly seen this game).

So FinFan54, I assume that you went to the game and saw that Nails got bested by Norman Hand and Grady Jackson.

BUT I will say this, Charles Grant did school Spriggs on a few plays. And a few plays is all its supposed to take. Remember, all a Defensive End needs to have in a game is TWO GOOD PLAYS for people to say he had a "good" game. And Charles Grant not only had what would have been a "sack" but he had even worst a forced fumble from the blindside. That play alone drops Spriggs' play down a letter grade OR TWO. As much as we don't want to believe it, a good LT is someone who keeps the Defensive End from pounding his quarterback THE WHOLE GAME on EVERY PLAY. Every LT has lapses of course, which is why QBs still get sacked and such. So to say that Charles Grant, the ROOKIE, schooled Spriggs on "one or two" plays, one of them being the forced fumble, and yet Spriggs had a "GOOD" game, is a contradiction. I'd give him a B- at best in pass protection.

As for Jamie Nails yes he got schooled by Norman Hand and Grady Jackson all through the first half and quite frankly yes I'm concerned about that because it was in pass protection against two DTs who aren't exactly known for their passrush presence. Fiedler was getting HAMMERED by the two of them...and put that together with Charles Grant's "one or two" plays, overall it was not a very good HALF of a game for the pass protection.

So here's to hoping that Jamie Nails learns how to stand his ground against big DTs when pass protecting. He needs to learn balance...I'd say give him some sumo lessons.

Originally posted by Merman
I did see the game on tape delay and the replays shown. Nails and Spriggs didn't do so well. Hand was pushing Nails around and the rookie defensive end the saints got for Ricky's frist round pick was blowing past Spriggs. The left side of the OL has to be fixed before the season starts or Norv will have to be very clever with the game plan and play calling.

Spriggs held his own for the most part and he did a decent Job..Nails had real hard time on pass and run blocking agaisnt Hand..Sprigss perfromance was better than Smith best performance and I also saw Spriggs pancake Charles Grant.How come nobody is mentioning Wade who actually make Perry looked good on the right side..I'm kinda dissapointed with Wade recent play and if you pay close attention you will see what I mean......Keep in mind Spriggs is also slow by injury..When this guy is at 100%, he could be starter..We will have to wait to see how Dixon performs at LT...

Spriggs might not be anywhere close to 100% for another full year. There's no reason to believe he'll be better off 2 months from now than he is now.

And Spriggs was not that good before his injury either. Remember that SPENCER FOLAU gave Spriggs a run for his money right up until the very end when they named Spriggs the starter basically because Spriggs had the slight edge on Folau in pass protection while Folau had the edge in run blocking...but its more important to be a good pass protector at LT.

In the Titans game? Just cuz Kearse had no sacks it doesn't mean Spriggs kept him in check or dominated him as some people like to think in retrospect. I remember a very speedy Kearse coming off the edge and nearly getting hold of our QBs a few times, pressuring them, making all kinds of plays against the run, and I remember our running game in that game sucking @ss. Do keep in mind that even with Spencer Folau in the game, for the first half of the year we and Chicago had the fewest sacks in the league. Just WHY was that? Because Chicago wasn't throwing long to save their LIVES, and because we were also dinking and dunking for the most part and Jay was gettin rid of the football as soon as he felt any pressure...and throwing tons of interceptions as a result.

Spriggs might not be anywhere close to 100% for another full year. There's no reason to believe he'll be better off 2 months from now than he is now.

And Spriggs was not that good before his injury either. Remember that SPENCER FOLAU gave Spriggs a run for his money right up until the very end when they named Spriggs the starter basically because Spriggs had the slight edge on Folau in pass protection while Folau had the edge in run blocking...but its more important to be a good pass protector at LT.

In the Titans game? Just cuz Kearse had no sacks it doesn't mean Spriggs kept him in check or dominated him as some people like to think in retrospect. I remember a very speedy Kearse coming off the edge and nearly getting hold of our QBs a few times, pressuring them, making all kinds of plays against the run, and I remember our running game in that game sucking @ss. Do keep in mind that even with Spencer Folau in the game, for the first half of the year we and Chicago had the fewest sacks in the league. Just WHY was that? Because Chicago wasn't throwing long to save their LIVES, and because we were also dinking and dunking for the most part and Jay was gettin rid of the football as soon as he felt any pressure...and throwing tons of interceptions as a result.

I have the tape. MNF against the tenesee titans. spriggs was good on the run and the pass. spriggs needs some time to prove everyone wrong. smith had his chance. spriggs and Nails i think will be fine. they just need more time(Nails on first team, and spriggs more PT). this isnt rocket science. and on the plays that kearse did make, they were not like, really bad mistakes on spriggs part. they were just great plays by a great DE. but Kearse and Carter were silenced the whole first half.

the key word there is "may". your making an assumtion that is not really true. was there anything to suggest that he is not back 100% from his injury? maybe a few weeks ago. but not the other night. and if he wasnt 100%, then i would say he did pretty well under the circumstances. im not saying he is a world beater but he did ok. He is better than smith right now.

Finfan54....first off, you were right. I assumed you hadn't seen the game because there's no way that ANYONE could have seen it live unless they were AT the game. The game was blacked out locally, only to be shown on tape delay at 8pm on Friday on the local TV stations...then Saturday 3:30pm to everyone else in Florida (nobody outside of FL could have possibly seen this game).

Not true. I saw the game LIVE, and I was NOT at the game.

Back
Top Bottom