Jason Garrett: Interesting Choice | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jason Garrett: Interesting Choice

The guy has an IQ on steroids and was touted as such when he became Danny White's backup in Dallas in the 80's. Clearly very intelligent and probably an excellent teacher for young aspiring players. He is also not too old such that he is removed generationally from the personal and professional issues facing players. Remember that QB coach is really an assistant to Linehan in our case.

raving said:
The guy has an IQ on steroids and was touted as such when he became Danny White's backup in Dallas in the 80's. Clearly very intelligent and probably an excellent teacher for young aspiring players. He is also not too old such that he is removed generationally from the personal and professional issues facing players. Remember that QB coach is really an assistant to Linehan in our case.

OK, this is getting more confusing as I read it. The guy you are talking about HAS to be a different person. If it is the same guy he would have been in the league AT LEAST 15 years to play last year. They are saying his brother and farther are both QB coaches, maybe it was one of them.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
He was a backup QB for the Bucc's, not a coach.

No, he was a 4th string QB/Assistant coach. The only reason Gruden brought him to Tampa was to help coach. He had no intentions of playing him.

Jason Garrett's stats from nfl.com: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1020 This lists him with 13 years of experience but only 11 years with stats. I assume he didn't actually get on the field his first two seasons in Dallas.

I believe JG will turn out to be a great choice for QB coach for all of the reasons mentioned in previous posts.

In an emergency, this is one coach that can suit up.

rickeyrunsover said:
Jason Garrett is extremely intelligent. Has a passion for the game, comes from a football family. He was never the most physically talented guy, but he worked extremely hard and used his intelligence to make it as a backup for ten years or more. I think he is a great hire. We will see, but he has the pedigree and teh intelligence to be good.

Hense the reason he stuck around since 1989. Coaches wanted him around, I think he will be a great coach.

byroan said:
No, he was a 4th string QB/Assistant coach. The only reason Gruden brought him to Tampa was to help coach. He had no intentions of playing him.

He spent two and a half weeks with the Buccs before being released as a third string QB. All coaches he has been with liked him for his knowledge.

IMO Garett will be a better coach than he was as a player.He is from a football family and he should know all the nuances of the QB position.

I am ok with the Garrett hiring. He has many years of experience and as people have stated earlier, is extremely smart. It won't hurt either that he has Linehan to help guide Garrett through his first year of coaching.

Back
Top Bottom