Javon Walker? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Javon Walker?

Doktor Ivel said:
how are they like father and son???? they got in a fight at mini camp!

How did they get in a fight at minicamp if neither one of them are there? They are very close, Favre just said he was disappointed Walker wasn't in camp. IMO, Walker is one of the most underrated WRs in the NFL.

SpeedRush99 said:
How did they get in a fight at minicamp if neither one of them are there? They are very close, Favre just said he was disappointed Walker wasn't in camp. IMO, Walker is one of the most underrated WRs in the NFL.

Thank you SpeedRush. I hardly ever get any backup. ;)

Some players are way under paid b/c they had to trump card in their orig. deal. They then break out and are stuck w/ a lousy 3-6 year deal b/c they just wanted to play in the NFL.

Then again look at Manning w/ the year he had. Should he go back and demand more money b/c he had the best year since THE KING(Marino).

No. He has a very lucrative deal and he should realize that. T.O. is a case of a really dumb move last year. He should play this year and prove he deserves a more lucrative deal and then negotiate it next year. Everybody seems to want guarantees but the teams have absolutly no guarantee that the player will honor or be worthy of the $$$ they are getting. The player could turn out to be a winslow. Then what.
If I were the owners, I would get together and demand if a player grossly under plays the value of a contract or breaks any NFL rules , laws or anything else, that the team be paid back a %age of the guranteed $$$

The players should always negotiate incentives and all will be fair in FOOTBALL! (But these thugs want what they don't deserve) Guarantees w/ no guarntees in return.

brech10 said:
I see your point about players honoring their contract, but in a way...they have some right. NFL contracts are not guaranteed so if a player blows out a knee or has a bad season they get cut, right? So isn't the team not honoring the contract.

Basically, why should a player "honor his contract" when his employer has such a long history of not honoring anybody's contract.
The problem is the contract stipulates that a player can be cut, not that he can hold out for more money. Also all this "but I can be cut and not get my money" is a bunch of crap. The signing bonus is assured, and that's money you will get no matter what. I'm sorry but $500000+ guaranteed is pretty good coin for playing a sport.

Megatron said:
The problem is the contract stipulates that a player can be cut, not that he can hold out for more money. Also all this "but I can be cut and not get my money" is a bunch of crap. The signing bonus is assured, and that's money you will get no matter what. I'm sorry but $500000+ guaranteed is pretty good coin for playing a sport.

$500,000 garaunteed is PENNIES for a starting WR in the NFL...and there are cases when a player is grossly underpaid and deserves a NEW contract. However most of the players that hold out abuse that sentiment. TO holding out after signing a contract LAST year is disgusting...

I hate this trend of so many players holding out to renegotiate their contracts. It seems like this year has been the most that I can remember for a long time, in fact the most that I can remember ever. Players should honour their contracts period.

phillyphinphan said:
$500,000 garaunteed is PENNIES for a starting WR in the NFL...and there are cases when a player is grossly underpaid and deserves a NEW contract. However most of the players that hold out abuse that sentiment. TO holding out after signing a contract LAST year is disgusting...
Most teams will be more than happy to renegotiate a new deal after the player has "proven that he can consistently produce". One year just doesn't cut it for me and I guess it doesn't cut it for Green Bay either. Look at it this way, the player has the leverage of free agency, so it behoofs his team to lock him up long term if he is star caliber. Walker is just jumping the gun and hoping to cash in now, when the CBA has the free agency provision that he can use to cash in later, if he's consistent.

Megatron said:
Most teams will be more than happy to renegotiate a new deal after the player has "proven that he can consistently produce". One year just doesn't cut it for me and I guess it doesn't cut it for Green Bay either. Look at it this way, the player has the leverage of free agency, so it behoofs his team to lock him up long term if he is star caliber. Walker is just jumping the gun and hoping to cash in now, when the CBA has the free agency provision that he can use to cash in later, if he's consistent.

I do not disagree with that, but there is more than one way of looking at this situation. I do not want to turn this into a "Javon deserves a new contract" discussion, but taking his situation, what if he believes that he WILL duplicate last years numbers. That means he would have two years a high level of play at a bargain basement salary (compared to player at his position). And than what happens if he blows out a knee at a "voluntary" mini-camp after this year. Green Bay can cut him for the new flavor of the month and Walker would have no security. That would be keen move on the packers part but it would leave Walker holding the $h*t end of the stick. Again this not a "pay javon" thought he's just a example...

finsnchips said:
he wants a new contract that's all.

He's not being greedy... he had a great year last year and wants to get paid for it.

Does the club get money back if he has a bad season or suffers injury? He signed the contract, honor it!

Back
Top Bottom