jay better than rich | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

jay better than rich

Sal Lisitano

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
i've read the post about jay looking great and "sensational" but how could some fin-fans actually say that jay fiedler is better than rich gannon...c'mon people. i like jay but i don't think that rich would have missed wide open receivers as often as jay does...it really hurt our chances of putting the patsies away last year when jay badly missed james mcknight in new england. gannon has been very consistent for 3 years in oakland and his not as injury prone as jay is and his older....hmmm!!! gannon is smarter, makes quicker reads, is defintely more accurate and has a stronger arm. gannon also runs when he needs to and is okay at it.

i'm like fiedler but he is not better than gannon...period!!!

While I agree, I haven't seen anyone say he's better than Gannon. Then again, I haven't read today's posts yet. :)

Jay is a poor man's Rich Gannon, like Kurt Warner is a poor man's Dan Marino. Neither is betta than who they are being compared to

If you take a look at Gannon and Fiedler's careers and styles, they are very similar QBs. Fiedler is actually progressing faster as a starter than Gannon did. However, Gannon has a ton more experience than Fiedler. Unless Jay has a breakout season like Gannon did in 2000 and Gannon starts sucumbing to age, Fiedler is not better than Gannon.

I haven't seen anyone say Fiedler is better than or equal to Gannon. But, Gannon didn't really become a top flight QB until much later in his career as B noted. If you look at stats - Gannons were worse than Fiedlers have been at this stage of their careers.

However, Fiedler could become as good or better in the future. BUt, that's all speculation. Nevertheless, some QB's take a long time to blossom (e.g., Gannon, Testaverde, Dilfer, etc.).

I think that anybody who argues that JF is better than Gannon is simply saying JF has the potential to be better. The question of potential is a matter of opinion. Most people here are hoping that JF plays better than Gannon this coming year, but I don't think anybody is claiming that JF has played better that last few years than Gannon.

I personally think alot of QB's, including Fiedler could succeed(Maybe not to the point Gannon did), but could do very well in Oaklands offense.

I SAID that Jay "COULD" be just as good if not better, because of reasoning along the lines of what Dolphan-B said above...

Rafael was right, I was trying to say that up until this Point, no Jay is not better than Rich... But I think he has more potential than Gannon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay CAN be a good as Gannon MAYBE. I dunno, I'd have to see it to believe it. Though the fact that his stats at the same age are better is a good sign, and the fact that Jay has gotten better every year as a starter is a good sign. Jay Fiedler at this point is at least a tier below Gannon.

god cut jay already, i am sick of the jay arguments. Gannon is 40 or close too it, he was cut by how many teams? Gannon has played well but is a product of the system no more no less. Sorry Gannon is NOT a deep ball passer, I watch the raiders every week as my buddy is a diehard raider fan and I watch games with him, phins at 1 raiders at 4. I can tell you if Gannon is counted on to have to throw deep consistently, the raiders suffer. Jay throws deep better than Gannon. Gannon is excellent on the slants and short outs, he gets the ball to the receivers on stride and lets them make plays.

Jay has potential to be better than rich, gannon is better right now because of his experience, but not sure you could say that at the end of the year.

ps sorry about the little smartazz comment, just seems like the jay debates never end.

Well said rickyrunsover, I also watch A LOT of Raider games living in Raider country. Gannon is rarely asked to throw the deep ball, and when he does, it's when someone is WIDE open. Rice and Brown are not fast targets, and Garner didn't have 1000 yards receiving for no reason. Gannon is good because he is intellegent and experienced, but if you put pressure in his face i.e. Fins and Bucs games, he is definately not as effective and his accuracy suffers. Jay outplayed Gannon in the Dolphins/Raiders game last year. I was at the game, Gannon didn't really impress me with his accuracy, a lot of throws that receivers had to reach for.

Originally posted by Dolfan984
Well said rickyrunsover, I also watch A LOT of Raider games living in Raider country. Gannon is rarely asked to throw the deep ball, and when he does, it's when someone is WIDE open. Rice and Brown are not fast targets, and Garner didn't have 1000 yards receiving for no reason. Gannon is good because he is intellegent and experienced, but if you put pressure in his face i.e. Fins and Bucs games, he is definately not as effective and his accuracy suffers. Jay outplayed Gannon in the Dolphins/Raiders game last year. I was at the game, Gannon didn't really impress me with his accuracy, a lot of throws that receivers had to reach for.

I was at the Raider game last year also. In that game Jason Taylor sacked Gannon twice in the opening series, and Gannon played scared the rest of the first half. Gannon was totally erratic during the first half of that game, and his accuracy did improve in the second half, it was not pinpoint. Therefore if Gannon can get hit early his effectiveness goes way dow.
As for Jay, I was not impressed with his performannce in that game either. At least four times in the first half Chambers badly beat a Raider corner. A quarterback who even playing adequately would have thrown for a least one touchdown on those plays and more than likely two(Marino would have had 4). Jay did not get even one touchdown on any of those plays. Jay was floating the ball slowing Chambers momentum down on all of those plays.

Gannon is a system QB just like Fiedler is, and Gannon IS the most overrated QB in the NFL....the offense consists of throwing short screens and flares to Garner and throwing to two future hall of famers that are still near the top of their game (Brown i see a decline, Rice....who the hell knows when this guy is gonna start playing average?!) Porter is pretty good too, and could probably be the #1 or #2 reciever if he were trying out for the fins...Gannon = Overrated....if u put JF in that system, he would have much better #s.

Actually on the first long throw, he placed the ball exactly where it needed to be, between the corner and the safety. A ball thrown any farther would have been picked off by the safety. I cannot comment about the other throws because I do not remember them completely and could not get a great analysis of them without looking over the plays on tape. As for Dan, he is long gone. He was the greatest to ever play, but this is not his team anymore.

Taylor's pressure is exactly what I was talking about. He was playing scared, and his accuracy suffered. After the Raiders started to pass block better and give Gannon time, (Sometimes too much time) he started to look better. Jay had a solid game, (100+ Qb rating I believe) and just because he got a 40 yard completion instead of a TD doesn't mean he played poorly.

Back
Top Bottom