Jay will win the job if given the chance... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay will win the job if given the chance...

Huggy Bear

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I know most of you love the Feely acquisition because you think it means "no more Jay!" If given the chance Fiedler will win the job. Most of you probably think it's because of "favoritism" and not facts.

During Fiedlers four years there have been 3 QB better then him. Damon Huard was, Ray Lucas was, and currently before the season Brian Griese was...

Lets review shall we?

Damon Huard- In 1999 he took over for Dan Marino and looked to be quite special. In 2000 he competed for the starting job and lost to Jay Fiedler. This would be a trend through 4 years... In 2000 Damon Huard had his chance (played 16 games, started one) and had 1 TD and 3 INT (60 QB rating) and then left for NE in 2001.

Ray Lucas- In 2001, Ray Lucas played in 10 games (started 0) and had a 109 QB rating, while completing 2/3 passes... In 2002 he got his chance to start, and boy did he suck... You ALL were begging for Fiedler to come back... His thumb was never fully healed (hmm, thats a trend I'll explain later). We all enjoyed Ray Lucas's 69 QB rating and the countless fumbles (8, not so countless I guess) and picks (6).

Brian "last name means I'm great" Griese- Griese was loved by fans before he took a snap (something most criticize others about when they say they don't want Feely, hypocrites). Griese failed, and I don't think I need to explain his stats because it happened in 2003...

Lets look at the trend, shall we?

1. Fiedler sucks, the backups are better [/endsarcasm]

2. Fiedler constantly has to return from injuries before they are healed, the backups are so much better :rolleyes:

3. Fiedler is always welcomed back when you watch the hideous play of his "better" backup.

4. Fiedler plays well, when he his group of scrubs decides to play with the heart he does.

5. Jay can't stay healthy... I can't argue, who could? It's not like he has ***** injuries like "tripping over his dog." He's either tearing his rotator cuff, braking his finger on defensive players helmets (yeah, no pressure alright), or getting his knee twisted and banged into pretzel. Maybe thats a sign.. GET AN OLINE.

Instead of getting rid of the hardest working player on the team, lets give him talent... Look at Griese in 2004, he was sacked and sacked and sacked, while Jay was made the line look so much better because of his mobility... Hell, maybe this new OC (who I really like) will give him a system that fits him. Why would we do that though? Anyone is better, it's been proven the last 4 years... It's no coincidence that he plays well when he was time in the pocket (I read a stat that said Fiedler was pressured aka hit/hurried 15 times a game...) and his WR are open...

I know you'll all sell Jay short of the credit he deserves, it never fails... Don't be surprised in 2004 when Jay is the starter for a REASON.

If Feely does start, and the talent isn't there on the offense (as it never was with Jay), I can't wait till I hear you ***** about what a dumb move it was... Never mind the other 10 players on the team who're inconsistant...

Which brings me to my final point. I know Chambers is becoming very good, but he's also very inconsistent. He's either dropping easy passes (look at the Philly game first off) or getting his feet inbounds with incredible catches. Randy McMichael blew *** as the end of the season (whats new), and Ricky can't get a hole to save his life... Where was the "Ricky you suck threads?" Oh yeah, there was none because it wasn't his fault.. I guess when you're not Fiedler you have zero accountability on this team. Anyone find it ironic how no one was pissed about the line until we all say Griese blow? No, OK.

I have a thought about Fiedler, I'll just stuff in here.

It wouldn't surprise me if Spielman was holding Jay ransom looking for a draft pick.

We are getting below the cap with Jay on the roster and I believe there are teams (Cowboys) out there that want to "win now" with a managerial QB following the same mold that the Dolphins have followed for the past four years.

It's not out of the realm of possibility to acquire a future second based on playing time, ect. such as the deal we are giving for Feeley.

Summoning up this thought in my mind was reading this line in PFW-

"The potential trade of Feeley to Miami is significant because the Dolphins believe they have found their starting quarterback. Meanwhile, Henson has drawn significant interest, and other players such as Dolphins QB Jay Fiedler and Bengals RB Corey Dillon could be dealt as well."

I believe Fiedler is gone...

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite honestly, I believe he deserves a fresh start. If someone is willing to give ya a pick for him, take it. Otherwise, release him now and both parties move on.

Listen to what is being said. Remember this article in the Palm Beach post?

"One concern will be identifying a backup for quarterback A.J. Feeley, who will be acquired from Philadelphia on March 3. Although free agents Damon Huard and Billy Volek will be considered, the agent for Sage Rosenfels said he has been told that his client will be the backup.

"That's the plan," agent Rick Smith said. "He's going to be the No. 2 guy. Could he be third? Yeah. But they have said he is going to be the backup.""

It's not to crazy to assume Rick is holding out and waiting to gauge the level of interest in Fiedler.

Man if Rick pulls a pick out of his hat on this one......:allhail:

"I'm glad Jay and I had a chance to talk, and it was a very positive and productive meeting," Wannstedt said in a statement released by the team. "I told him I knew how much he has meant to our team, and I emphasized I want him back this year . . . Jay is supportive of our efforts to bring in as many good players as we can.''

That was the official line out of the Dolphins this week. The key word in the entire statement is Dave saying "I" not "we".

The official comment according to the Sun-Sentinel from the man in charge of personnel?

"Dolphins General Manager Rick Spielman has adopted a policy of not commenting on unresolved player personnel matters."

I don't mean to imply there is a conspiracy here but Dave can say something positive about Fiedler to quiet the QB talk as they shop Fiedler. Then it's a shock when you hear of the trade. Nobody really ever lied to anyone.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Quite honestly, I believe he deserves a fresh start. If someone is willing to give ya a pick for him, take it. Otherwise, release him now and both parties move on.

I agree move on pick or no pick it's time to part!Good luck JAY!!!

weather we know it or not we wil miss Jay, but under the climax he's under here, i hope he moves and proves how really good he was for us. with our OL i can't believe how well he did. some will come to realize that, when they get their heads on of the sand. Jay was a good QB. Feely hopefully will get a better ol and not struggle so much.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
some will come to realize that, when they get their heads on of the sand. Jay was a good QB.

I don't think many of the the fans around here doubt that he is a good QB. It's just simply time for a change. Feeley doesn't seem to be the object of fans desires neither. That doesn't change the situation though.

This O-line was fine in run blocking in 2002. They were terrible in pass protection. I don't know if I'm alone in the thought that more pressure was brought in 2003 than 2002. Most teams we face committed to defend against the run and I believe we'll see the same thing in 2004. The QB must be able to make them pay for that by going downfield with the ball. That is something Fiedler did not do with the exception of one game (thanksgiving). I believe on a consistent basis he is not capable of it.

For this fan the incompetency of the downfield throw was what was lacking in Fiedler. Was that improved? Maybe not but it was changed. That's all you can really ask for.

Like I said at this point Feeley is not upgrade.Hopefully I'm wrong.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story?id=1742845
Eagles Offense averaged 16.8 points/game and that the defense carried the team, not Feeley. It also said that the offense was not efficient with AJ at the helm.

They also quoted the Miami Herald with this comment

“They both got themselves fired,†the (NFL )executive, who was referring to Spielman and Wannstedt told the Miami Herald. “Feeley is nothing special. The games he played in and won two years ago were because of [the Eagles] defense. I think [Fiedler] is better, no questionâ€Â.<<<

Originally posted by ZOD

I don't think many of the the fans around here doubt that he is a good QB. It's just simply time for a change. Feeley doesn't seem to be the object of fans desires neither. That doesn't change the situation though.

The QB must be able to make them pay for that by going downfield with the ball. That is something Fiedler did not do with the exception of one game (thanksgiving). I believe on a consistent basis he is not capable of it.

For this fan the incompetency of the downfield throw was what was lacking in Fiedler. Was that improved? Maybe not but it was changed. That's all you can really ask for.

That's it right there in a nutshell.....

Great post ZOD.

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

Originally posted by Fisticuff Deuce
I know most of you love the Feely acquisition because you think it means &quot;no more Jay!&quot; If given the chance Fiedler will win the job. Most of you probably think it's because of &quot;favoritism&quot; and not facts.

During Fiedlers four years there have been 3 QB better then him. Damon Huard was, Ray Lucas was, and currently before the season Brian Griese was...

Lets review shall we?

Damon Huard- In 1999 he took over for Dan Marino and looked to be quite special. In 2000 he competed for the starting job and lost to Jay Fiedler. This would be a trend through 4 years... In 2000 Damon Huard had his chance (played 16 games, started one) and had 1 TD and 3 INT (60 QB rating) and then left for NE in 2001.

Ray Lucas- In 2001, Ray Lucas played in 10 games (started 0) and had a 109 QB rating, while completing 2/3 passes... In 2002 he got his chance to start, and boy did he suck... You ALL were begging for Fiedler to come back... His thumb was never fully healed (hmm, thats a trend I'll explain later). We all enjoyed Ray Lucas's 69 QB rating and the countless fumbles (8, not so countless I guess) and picks (6).

Brian &quot;last name means I'm great&quot; Griese- Griese was loved by fans before he took a snap (something most criticize others about when they say they don't want Feely, hypocrites). Griese failed, and I don't think I need to explain his stats because it happened in 2003...

Lets look at the trend, shall we?

1. Fiedler sucks, the backups are better [/endsarcasm]

2. Fiedler constantly has to return from injuries before they are healed, the backups are so much better :rolleyes:

3. Fiedler is always welcomed back when you watch the hideous play of his &quot;better&quot; backup.

4. Fiedler plays well, when he his group of scrubs decides to play with the heart he does.

5. Jay can't stay healthy... I can't argue, who could? It's not like he has ***** injuries like &quot;tripping over his dog.&quot; He's either tearing his rotator cuff, braking his finger on defensive players helmets (yeah, no pressure alright), or getting his knee twisted and banged into pretzel. Maybe thats a sign.. GET AN OLINE.

Instead of getting rid of the hardest working player on the team, lets give him talent... Look at Griese in 2004, he was sacked and sacked and sacked, while Jay was made the line look so much better because of his mobility... Hell, maybe this new OC (who I really like) will give him a system that fits him. Why would we do that though? Anyone is better, it's been proven the last 4 years... It's no coincidence that he plays well when he was time in the pocket (I read a stat that said Fiedler was pressured aka hit/hurried 15 times a game...) and his WR are open...

I know you'll all sell Jay short of the credit he deserves, it never fails... Don't be surprised in 2004 when Jay is the starter for a REASON.

If Feely does start, and the talent isn't there on the offense (as it never was with Jay), I can't wait till I hear you ***** about what a dumb move it was... Never mind the other 10 players on the team who're inconsistant...

Which brings me to my final point. I know Chambers is becoming very good, but he's also very inconsistent. He's either dropping easy passes (look at the Philly game first off) or getting his feet inbounds with incredible catches. Randy McMichael blew *** as the end of the season (whats new), and Ricky can't get a hole to save his life... Where was the &quot;Ricky you suck threads?&quot; Oh yeah, there was none because it wasn't his fault.. I guess when you're not Fiedler you have zero accountability on this team. Anyone find it ironic how no one was pissed about the line until we all say Griese blow? No, OK.

You're beating a dead horse with this argument.
Just like all the other Fiedler supporters your points are all twisted arguments to make excuses for Jay's inabilities.
Yeah, Jay has been a hidden All Pro QB all the years he was backup and then actually dumped out of the league all together!
Yes I forgot it's all the recievers faults that Jay's passes suck. :rolleyes:

One of your arguments for Jay is shear genious however! Statements that he is better then Damon Huard and Ray Lucas is a ringing endorsement! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Is that really the BEST you've got? Really that's your argument!

Hell maybe we should send a memo around the league to all the teams about how Jay is better than Ray Lucas! Wow, I can see the 1st round pick offers rolling in!

Bottom line:
1)Jay has NEVER garnered respect from ANY opposing defense his entire tenure here. That is 4 long years NOT just last year!
D coordinators have stacked up against the run every single year and dared Jay to prove he can burn them. After 4 years..... still no defense was impressed enough to fear him.
You think he's great and Defensive coordinators think he's harmless. Hmmmmm, wonder who might be right on that one.

2) Jay's OWN TEAM has been trying to replace him for 2 seasons now through Free Agency and potential trades. This year they got so desperate that they gave up a 2nd round draft pick on a pure gamble that Feeley may be better! Regardless of what they say in the papers to be PC and support Jay, the above action speaks VOLUMES about the lack of faith they actually have in Jay Fiedler.

If you had a QB you had faith in and believed was good would you give up a early round draft pick on a QB to come in and compete for the job?????

Writing's on the wall! Get real!

Originally posted by ZOD

I think a Jay lacks a few other things as well but regardless you hit the nail on the head. Jay has had 4 years to improve his game and show he could take the next step from gameplan liability to a CONSISTENTLY good QB. He never did! It's time for change and they did it. Will it work out?

Only time will tell.
However, If Feeley simply stays healthy for 13-14 games and throws an EVEN Int to TD ratio...... while that would suck, it would still be equal to what you could expect to get out of Jay!

Damon Huard WAS NOT anything special. He led the Dolphins to a pretty good 5-1 record, but do remember how ugly those wins were?? Do you remember how unsettled and uncomfortable Huard looked in the pocket?? There was no presence whatsoever. Granted he took a beating (especially at New England where he was sacked 9 times and got the **** kicked out of him). But it was ugly none the less.

Huard was tough and gritty and that was about it. Who does that remind you of?? There wasn't much for Fiedler beat out in Huard. I will give Jay credit though. As tough as Huard was, Fiedler was muich tougher. And he was definitely more fearless. As fearless as they come. And from a leadership and respect standpoint, there's no contest. Fiedler had all that from his teammates.

But while Jay certainly got better as far as cutting down mistakes and reading a defense under Norv Turner, he couldn't stay on the field enough to help us. And the fact remains that Fiedler wasn't very accurate. And if you aren't accurate, it's nice if you at least have a strong arm. Jay didn't have that either.

This is why I think we've already upgraded with Feeley. The arms are probably similar in terms of strength. Feeley may have more velocity (I really don't know). But where the two QBs differ is accuracy. Feeley is reportedly very accurate. And he can see the field and read a defense. Also, he supposedly does not make very many bad decisions and plays within himself.

If these things are true, then I think that we'll have nicely upgraded. Despite all our inadequacies on offense, there were still plays there to be made. We left a lot of points on the field last year. A LOT. If we can at the very least capitalize and score those points we didn't score last year, it should be more than enough.

As for Fiedler, I feel it's time to move on. He may have gotten a raw deal here. But I don't see it ever getting better for him here. I hope he moves on to Dallas, as I think that he's a "Parcells" kinda guy and would be perfect for that team. I wish him the best of luck and great success.

You can say that "Jay will win the job if given the chance," but the truth is that he won't be given that chance. If we were going to get a new QB, I wanted it to be an upgrade, and all signs point to this not being an upgrade. I hope Feeley proves me wrong, but that is how I feel right now. I do think that Fiedler would win the job if given the chance, but he won't be given that chance since I don't see us keeping him around.

Originally posted by Muck
Damon Huard WAS NOT anything special. He led the Dolphins to a pretty good 5-1 record, but do remember how ugly those wins were?? Do you remember how unsettled and uncomfortable Huard looked in the pocket?? There was no presence whatsoever. Granted he took a beating (especially at New England where he was sacked 9 times and got the **** kicked out of him). But it was ugly none the less.

Huard was tough and gritty and that was about it. Who does that remind you of?? There wasn't much for Fiedler beat out in Huard. I will give Jay credit though. As tough as Huard was, Fiedler was muich tougher. And he was definitely more fearless. As fearless as they come. And from a leadership and respect standpoint, there's no contest. Fiedler had all that from his teammates.

But while Jay certainly got better as far as cutting down mistakes and reading a defense under Norv Turner, he couldn't stay on the field enough to help us. And the fact remains that Fiedler wasn't very accurate. And if you aren't accurate, it's nice if you at least have a strong arm. Jay didn't have that either.

This is why I think we've already upgraded with Feeley. The arms are probably similar in terms of strength. Feeley may have more velocity (I really don't know). But where the two QBs differ is accuracy. Feeley is reportedly very accurate. And he can see the field and read a defense. Also, he supposedly does not make very many bad decisions and plays within himself.

If these things are true, then I think that we'll have nicely upgraded. Despite all our inadequacies on offense, there were still plays there to be made. We left a lot of points on the field last year. A LOT. If we can at the very least capitalize and score those points we didn't score last year, it should be more than enough.

As for Fiedler, I feel it's time to move on. He may have gotten a raw deal here. But I don't see it ever getting better for him here. I hope he moves on to Dallas, as I think that he's a &quot;Parcells&quot; kinda guy and would be perfect for that team. I wish him the best of luck and great success.

Wow, good assessment Muck...

Back
Top Bottom