JBrown Report For 7-30-02(Long) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

JBrown Report For 7-30-02(Long)

JBrownTCReports

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Fins Finish Day 5 With No Injuries

Today the Dolphins finished another day of two-a-day practices injury free. Coming in to today, coaches already knew that they had alot of depth at most positions and that it would be difficult when the time came to make some cuts. Today that decision will be even harder, especially with four Running backs, three Fullbacks, seven Wide Receivers, and five Defensive Ends all playing well. Only time will tell which
of these guys will make the final cuts. Until then, we can watch our great Dolphins do battle in the sweltering heat for the next month.

Top Play From Practice:
The top play from Surtain and Madison at the Night and Morning session. In the morning session both guys came up with an interception, while in the night session they held there ground well against Chambers and Gadsden.

Practice Quotes:
HEAD COACH DAVE WANNSTEDT
(On Tuesday morning’s practice) - “It was a good practice. We got a nice little tradeoff today. For the second day, when you know guys are sore and there’s not going to be quite the zip, we got a little cloud cover today, and I think that helped spur the guys on. We ended up having a real good, solid practice. We had all the full speed work and a lot of contact this morning. The guys worked extremely hard.â€Â

(On the positives he saw from Tuesday morning’s practice) - “There were some good things. Robert Edwards (RB) made some plays today that definitely got our attention. So that was real positive. David Bowens (DE) today showed up and made two or three plays on that defensive line. He’s off to a good start.â€Â

(On the play of CB Patrick Surtain) - “Pat had an interception or two. Both corners, Sam (Madison) and Pat, really played like we expect them to play today.â€Â

(On if he’s concerned that nobody has stepped up to claim the third corner spot) - “No. Jamar (Fletcher) is performing a lot better than he did last year. He’s fine. From there, we’re working - Omare (Lowe), Zebbie (Lethridge) and Ray Green. Right now, the fourth corner spot is wide open. We have got some guys who are competing for that spot.â€Â

(On if this is a “make or break†training camp for TE Alonzo Mayes) - “There’s enough pressure on these guys coming out here. I don’t like the words “make or breakâ€Â. He’s been around a few years. He’s had some unfortunate things happen to him from an injury standpoint. This is a great opportunity for him. I feel like he’s going to take advantage of it. I really do.â€Â

(On if Mayes’ potential is the reason he has been with the Dolphins until now) - “It is. He’s got talent. We’ll see if he gets it done. I think he will.â€Â

RUNNING BACK ROBERT EDWARDS
(On his first year with the Dolphins) - “In a lot of ways it feels like I’m a rookie. I had to play on special teams in my first year in college, and now I think it is vital that I play special teams to try to make the team. I’m not the main guy.â€Â

DEFENSIVE TACKLE LARRY CHESTER
(On expectations for this year) - “I want to help my team get to the Super Bowl. That’s the only goal. I don’t have any personal goals. Whatever happens as far as my individual contributions, I just want to have a ring.â€Â

LINEBACKER MORLON GRENWOOD
(On the transition from a rookie to a second-year starter) - “Last year was kind of a slow start because I got hurt, but once I got in there I was able to be productive and help my team in a few games. This year is another story. I’m trying to break out of the shell this year and make a lot more plays so that I’m able to have more of an impact.â€Â

Eyewitness Reports:
(An eyewitnes report from my friend TunaFla)
HERE'S THE WAY I SAW IT.......PRACTICE WAS FROM 7-9 PM WITH A FULL HOUSE......THEY QUIT LETTING PEOPLE INSIDE THE TRAINING FACILITY SO SOME OF THE LATE ARRIVALS HAD TO STAND OUTSIDE THE GATED FENCE (I would say a good 3000 people showed up)!!!! Now to the action!!!

Tim Levcik.....I am telling you this guy is for real.....more weight to his body and he might be something special. For all of you that cant make it to camp to really believe me, this guy has a gun, tight spiral and great accuracy! He will be the #3 QB this year!

Ray Lucas....so so job, missed some open opportunities, still needs work, I am not convinced or comfortable if Fiedler went down to have him at the helm right now! Dont get me wrong, I like Lucas as the back-up, its early....needs more time

Sam Simmons made some nice catches....nothing too impressive though

Jamar Fletcher got burned once, other than that...not much to say about actions on the day.

Leonard Herny....not to impressive but the guy has speed, needs to find the hole quicker.

Minor....made some great moves on screen passes.....he is a keeper in my eyes. He played well last year, I believe his potential will only get better.

Deon Dyer....made a couple of great one handed catches out of the backfield....He wants this job, Konrad better watch his back!

Ricky.....not much action, made a couple of grind nose runs for 4-5 yards, with full pads he would have broke a couple for good yardage....he is looking good, down 15 lbs, and wants to lose 5-10 more.

Edwards broke out one run for good yardage....15-20 yards, previous injuries seem to have no effect!

Zach....he is an all out hustler, chased down Lucas for about 25 yards!

Ruddy...needs to hold his blocks more...seems to be getting burnt of the line.......on the other hand McKinney was holding his blocks and opening up holes, though it wasagainst the 2nd team D! O-Line played so-so other than that.

McKnight.....first ball thrown to him....was dropped, big sigh from the crowd, almost like....HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! Dropped a couple of more passes, but also made some good catches...I would put the Hustling Dedric Ward ahead of him right now!

Baker...made some nice catches, drop some balls he should of had also!

Chambers...not much action his way tonight!

OG.....surprisingly, a lot of over the middle plays for Oronde.....When you think of OG, you think sideline, not the case tonight. Great hands! Oronde "great hands" Gadsden!

Ogden.......Wow he looked like Jim Jesen on 3rd downs, catching every thing thrown to him....On one particular play it was about a 35-40 yard bomb where he laid completely out and made a great catch....good to see!

Surtain....2 picks...all over the ball tonight....was definitely on his game

Burnett.....Is this guy quick off the line or what? On one particular play, he pancaked Todd Wade, and Wade actually rolled on Lucas' ankle...Lucas OK though. He was quicker than I anticipated!

Finally, Randy McMichael.......we might have found ourselves a tight end....his catching skills are definitely there, needs to tuck the ball after the catch, and really couldn't tell about his blocking skills......made some nice moves in the open field though!

Offensive Highlights: Levciks' arm strength and accuracy, Ogdens catch, Wards hustle, OG, Minors open field ability, Dyers blocking and catching skills out off the backfield! Oh, and Ricky did miss a key block.......Norv showed alot of 4 wide receiver sets tonight, with Ricky coming out of the backfield!

Defensive highlights: Burnetts taking Wade to the ground, getting to the QB plenty of times, Zacks hustle, Surtains picks which easily could of gone for 7 the other way, D-line....great push all night, Bates showing alot of Blitz schemes! Over all a well executed practice.

I am gonna try to go to camp in the morning, if not I will have the next report the next 2-3 days!
My Morning Practice Take:
The Miami Dolphins had their third full squad practice this morning. Overall it was a great practice for them. They played hard and fought with alot of heart. At QB Ray Lucas wasn't too good today as he through two interceptions, while Levcik did a great job, especially at accuracy. He seems to be getting the playbook down, which is bad news for Kustok, who has shown great accuracy and speed, but lacks that arm strength. As for Running Back, Ricky Williams looked decnt today, as he did yesterday. Nothing really spectacular though. However Leonard Henry was awesome today. During the middle drill on one ocassion he broke one and went the distance. This guy really has some potential. As for Robert Edwards, he is really returning to form, eventhough he isn't back at full speed yet. Nevertheless he was flying all around today, which is always good. Then there is the Wide Receivers position, you can't say enough about Chris Chambers and Oronde Gadsden. Both these guys could become 1,000 yard Receivers this season. With Chambers speed and Gadsden's great hands, there is no reason these guys can't do it. As for Ward, he has really been working hard in camp and I think its really catching the coaches eye, which is bad for McKnight, who has excellent speed with bad hands. Now as for the Tight Ends, they played great, especially Weaver and McMichael. Neither had a drop and they both came up with catches they were suppose to come up with. Now as for the Offensive Line, they did an ok job, but still need to work together as one unit. If one player is playing hard straight up, one of the other guys seems to play poorly and ruin the whole play. If these guys could play as one unit the whole camp, they would really be great. However it seems each one plays good one practice and is horrible the next. Hoepfully against Tennessee, they will improve and become more a unit, instead of individuals fighting for a job. As for the Defensive Line, they were great again. David Bowens has been really impressive especially on pass rushing the Quarterback. Jay Williams and Rob Burnett better watch out, as this guy has really been playing great. If he keeps it up, one of these guys could be out of a job. As for DT Larry Chester, he has continued to impress me, especially with his pass rushing ability. As Gardener was good, Chester too is an excellent Defensive Tackle at rushing the QB. As for the combination of DT's Chester and Bowens, they clogged up the middle real nicely, making it hard for any Running Back to fit through there. However if was against out Offensive Line, which has been awful lately, so that isn't really saying much. We will see how they do when they face the Titans this Weekend. Lastly the Seconday of Miami was superb, both Madison and Surtain came up with one interception, which is always good to see. One other bright spot was CB Jamar Fletcher, who has shown some great plays lately, even if most FinFans think he was a bust. Overall the Fins closed out another practice injury free, with the Defense dominating.

My Afternoon Practice Take:
The Miami Dolphins had their fourth full-squad practice tonight. The late practice was a good thing for Dolphins fan, as it allowed them to view the Fins in a little cooler weather. However the action on the field was great in different phases. First for the QB's, Ray Lucas wasn't that impressive. Infact to be quite frankly, Kustok and Levcik out played him. Levcik is really starting to come on strong, especially with his strong arm, which was very noticeable tonight. Kustok however was decent making some quality passes, but still needs more strength in his arm if he wants to out dual Levcik for that #3 QB spot. As for RB, Ricky Williams looks great making cuts and seems to be finding holes quickly. That's one thing I can say good about Ricky, he finds the holes quickly, if there isn't one he still pounds it in there for a gain. Unlike Lamar Smith, who last year would try and break it to outside and would most usually get stuck for a two to three yard loss. As for the other backs, Henry, Edwards, and Minor, they all three looked decent. Nothing really impressive on the ground, although Henry and Minor made some nice catches in the flat, while Robert Edwards seems to impress on the ground, but nothing through the air. Then there was the Wide Receivers, Chambers and Gadsden both looked good, not making anything spectacular, but enough to get the job done. Meanwhile Ward and McKnight, who are both competing for that #3 Wide Receiver job, both dropped too many passes tonight. For McKnight, drops are expected from him, but not from Ward, who has been playing well up to this point. However Ogden looked good and could very well possibly move up the Depth Chart if McKnight and Ward continue to drop passes. On one instance Ogden made a nice diving catch, which I think really got the coaches eye. I must say this guy has some nice hands. Now on to Tight Ends, Randy McMichael looked fairly well, as Weaver did in making some nice catches out in the flat. The good thing tonight about these guys was they had good hands and watched the ball go in their hands, which is always a good sign. As for the Offensive Line position, they got battered around tonight. Neither the first or second team offensive line could get anything started. I thought maybe when camp started things might look better for this line, but they aren't. However one bright spot was Brent Smith, who did a pretty good job on holding his ground after he was out last season with a Torn ACL. While the other guys like Spriggs, Dixon, and Wade got manhandled. It will be interesting to see if they improve any over the next few days before they go in to the scrimmages against Jevon Kearse and the Tennessee Titans. As for the Defensive Line, they looked great. Jason Taylor and David Bowens rushed the QB well tonight. Bowens has shown great potential and has showed why he has been named the starter at LDE so far. As for the inside game, Bowens and Chester have really been impressive. Chester has shown me that he is a good pass rusher as well as run stopper. With him and Timbo in the middle, I see them being very successful. Outside of the Defensive Line, the Secondary was really good tonight. The Cornerback duo of Madison and Surtain did a fantastic job on Chambers and Gadsden, while Fletcher and Lowe stood there ground when in there. Surtain meanwhile picked off two passes while Fletcher got one. Overall there was some good and some bad.

Position By Position Analysis(As of Jul. 30)
I felt like I would give you, Dolfans, a position by position run down on how the players are performing in camp so far. I will do another one on August 6, 2002.

Quarterbacks:
Jay Fielder- Won't begin practicing until Wednesday.
Grade: None

Ray Lucas- A talented backup QB, who has looked good in camp. However he has not looked good enough to overtake Fiedler, which you know wasn't going to happen anyway. So far Ray has used this time wisely to work on his accuracy and mobility. Eventhough he still has lacked that accuracy, I think he will improve in camp. Nevertheless he does make up for less accuracy with a strong arm. However his short passes are thrown sometimes to hard and it becomes a disadvantage to his Wide Receivers. If he can just work on his accuracy alittle more and touch on his throws, he should be fine.
Grade: B

Zak Kustok- Has done a nice job scrambling out of the pocket when under pressure. However his arm strength is somewhat like Josh Heupel's was. Nevertheless his accuracy is very good on short passes which is good, but bad if he throws deep. I mean every once in a while he will throw a nice deep bomb, but needless to say I don't think his Wide Recivers will be open as deep in the preseason as it is with Zebbie Lethridge.
Grade: C+

Tim Levcik- Has done a nice job on deep passes. Man he has an arm. He just wings passes 55-60 yards like they are nothing. However his only let down could be that of his scrambling ability and his accuracy. His accuracy is a little shaky especially on the run. The scrambling ability should come later in camp, when he see's big Tim Bowens and Jason Taylor gunning at him. If it doesn't, that could be the thing that gets him cut. That and the fact that he is way too skinny for his size. One hit in the Preseason could send this guy to the Injury List. Nevertheless I see him competing with Kustok all the way till the end of camp.
Grade: C

Running Backs:
Ricky Williams- Has looked fantastic early in camp. He has shown more quickness since dropping a few pounds. Seems to find a way through the Defensive Line even if there isn't hardly any room, but still lacks that breakaway speed. Needless to say, he does make up for it when he pounds the ball through when nothing is available. Although he doesn't have breakaway speed, he still can occasionally take one the distance when he gets a few blocks in the flat. As for his catching ability, its excellent. He has great hands, something that Lamar Smith lacked last season in the flat. With Williams great catching ability and pounding running game, he should be the back that Miami has longed for.
Grade: A

Travis Minor- Has shown excellent speed so far in camp, as well as excellent hands. Travis has made some nice cuts and bursted through some holes in the Defense as he did last year. As far as catching goes, he has been great. The catching part of his game seems to have really improves, based on last seasons problems with dropping the ball. If he gets open in the flat, than he coudl cause some problems for defenses. With his quality play since camp started, he should remain the #2 guy all the way through the Preseason.
Grade: B+

Robert Edwards- Coming off injuries, and not playing football for the past two years, Robert has made some nice runs in the past practices. He seems to have that same breakaway speed that Minor has. However he doesn't catch as many balls out in the flat, as Minor does, which gives Minor the edge over him. If Robert continues to show his potentials, as he did in 1998 with the Patriots, and he catches more in the flat than he may compete with Minor that #2 Running Back spot.

Leonard Henry- Leonard coming from a conference, where people say he wouldn't make it in the pros, has shown some great speed. In which most of his critics said he lacked. Not only has he shown great quickness, he has shown a great deal of strength. Leonard, who took many hits on Monday, kept bouncing back everytime he was hit and just kep running. His cactching ability is not that great though, in which he has dropped a few wide open passes. However he paid for it, when he got an ear full from Turner on Saturday and Sunday. If he continues to run the way he has, and starts catching the ball alittle better than he may make the Dolphins consider keeping four RunningBacks.
Grade: B-

Marlon Barnes- Has not seen much work with Edwards, Minor, and Henry all competing for the #2 and #3 Running Back spots. He probably will not see hardly any in action in Preseason and will probably be on the first cuts list.

Jerry Westbrooks- As Barnes, he has not seen much work with Edwards, Minor, and Henry all competing for the #2 and #3 Running Back spots. As Barnes, he probably will not see any playing time in Preseason either and will probably be on the first cuts list also.

Fullbacks:
Rob Konrad- Has shown great pass catching ability in Turner's system. Although Konrad has shown great abilities to catch the ball, he has lacked the blocking potential that Miami needs for a complete Fullback. With that in mind Miami signed Ayanbadejo before camp, to compete with Konrad for that #1 spot. If Konrad fails to gain some type of blocking game, he could slip to the #2 spot.

Obafemi Ayanbadejo- Ayanbadejo, who was brought in, in time for camp to compete with Konrad, has shown great Special Teams play in the limited time he has played. As for his catching, it isn't as steady as Konrad. Ayanbadejo has shown some great catches, but then again has dropped a few catchable balls as well. The edge he does have Konrad on is at blocking, as he does show more toughness than Konrad. Needless to say if Konrad continues to catch the way he has than he may only be able to stick around based on his Special Teams play.

Deon Dyer- Dyer, who is a mainly a blocking Fullback is basically a lock to make this team, based on the play of his blocking. With Miami not having a true blocking Fullback like Dyer, they cannot afford to let him go in hopes of Konrad and Ayanbadejo doing the job at blocking. As for his catching ability, it has not really gotten any better than last year, as he is basically just a hard nosed blocker. Needless to say with Dyer's inability to come up with big catches, he may only be in on running plays.

Wide Receivers
Chris Chambers- What can you not say about Chris. He has caught everything thrown his way. He has excellent leaping ability and quite frankly no one Cornerback in the league will be able to contain him one on one. Then there is his speed, which is excellent. He has been smoking the Secondary in camp, not by just alittle, but by alot. With this guy he can be wide open down field and burn the deep man or he can just run the sideline with the Corner and out leap him for the ball. Needless to say this guy has the potential to be a superstar this upcoming season.
Grade: A+

Oronde Gadsden- Oronde has made unbelievable catches in the camps so far. He has been snatching the ball clean out of the air, which is his style anyway. Like Chambers, Oronde's leeping ability is fantastic. With most Corner's being so small, it will make it just as difficult to contain him one or one. For instance on Monday, Ray overthrew Gadsden while Madison was all over him and I guess you know the answer to what happened. You guessed it, he snagged it right out of the air. The only let down against Oronde is he's not a guy that can burn you down the side line or breakaway from a defender. Needless to say, he makes up for it with his unbelievable catches.

James McKnight- This guy has been a major bust since signing last offseason. During the regular season, he dropped to many passes and a few he missed so badly that they were picked off because he couldn't handle them. Now during camp, he is doing the same thing. He is dropping balls that hit him right in the chest, while he is wide open. For example on Monday, he had beaten Madison badly while pass was right there. However McKnight dropped it wide open. This guy really is going to start practicing some hand catching drills, because his speed would be a shame to waste, as he showed us in a few games last year.
Grade: C-

Dedric Ward- He has been everywhere on the field, from catching passes in the flat, as well as blocking for the run. As for his catching part of the game, we all know he has good hands after his clutch catches last season. So far in camp he had caught all the balls thrown his way that were catchable. Then there is his blocking ability, which is better than McKnight as well. While McKnight holds on running plays, Ward just flat out works his butt off to keep the defender away from the runner. With his great speed and better hands than McKnight, he could move up to the #3 Wide Receiver spot by the end of camp.

Robert Baker- As always during camp, Robert shows that he has good speed, as well as good hand coordination. Although he may drop a pass or two sometimes, he does make up for it with a catch later on in the day. His speed however is also great, as we have seen years in the past, but having a good camp for Robert is nothing new. If he stays healthy this year, he should contend for that #5 Wide Receiver spot with Ogden, Johnson, and Simmons.

Jeff Ogden- Although Ogden does not get alot of balls thrown his way, he does do a good job when they are thrown his way. He has excellent leaping ability for his size and has great hands. Plus he does have some speed, after all he is our Punt Returner. If he didn't fumble so much on Punt Returns, he would be an excellent pick for the #5 Wide Receiver spot, but because he does, he now has to compete with Baker, Johnson and Simmons for the spot.

Sam Simmons- He has not shown much in camp so far, but that is largely due to the part that so many guys are competing for that #5 spot. Although here and there he has shown some excellent leaping ability, as well as his speed on post patterns. The main part of Sam's game, is Special Teams. If he proves he is worthy when they work on Special Team drills, and he doesn't fumble as much as Ogden, than he should win the job to be the teams #5 Wide Receiver.

Albert Johnson- For being a small guy at 5-9, he sure shows excellent ability to go up and get the ball. As well as his speed being fantastic, he could make a push for the #5 spot at Wide Receiver. However the lack of height is probably what will hurt his chances in the long run. Needless to say one thing that seems to be in his favor, is that the coaches are impressed with him, so if he doesn't make the 53 man roster, than he may atleast have a good chance to make the Practice Squad.

Sulecio Sanford- Sulecio has not been getting much work, but what can you expect with all the talented Wide Receivers competing. While he hasn't been getting much work at Wide Receiver, he has been getting some work at Cornerback. Miami likes his speed and would like to see how he responds at Cornerback. While he hasn't looked bad at Corner, the position is just too full with Madison, Surtain, Lowe, and Fletcher at it. Nevertheless he will get a shot to see what he can do at the position.

Ronney Daniels- Not getting much work, but will get more work in the Preseason, where he will have to shine early if he hopes to atleast lock on to a Practice Squad spot.

Margin Hooks- Not getting much work either, but as Daniels, he will have to prove his stuff early just to make the Practice Squad.

Tight Ends:
Jed Weaver- Was named the starter before the start of camp, is now falling down the depth chart. Not because of his play, but because of the outstanding play of Randy McMichael. Nevertheless Weaver has shown some great hands in recent practices and has really done a great job blocking for Williams on running plays. Although I do like his abilities, he will probably be the #2 Tight End at the end of camp.

Randy McMichael- Randy, a rookie from the University of Georgia was brought in to compete with Mayes and Weaver for the starting job and thats exactly what he has done. With three extra days of practices than both Weaver and Mayes, McMichael has continued to impress the coaches. McMichael has shown great hands out in the flat and when taking a hit in the middle of the field. As a bonus, he has shown great blocking potential, in which many critics said that he wasn't good at. I think if McMichael continues to play the way he is now, than he will be the starting Tight End no matter what Weaver does.

Alonzo Mayes- Mayes, who Miami traded for two years ago has been hampered by injuries both years and has not seen any playing time. Wannstedt however has said that Mayes will be competing for the starting job. However I think differently, I think that Mayes is injury prone and will never live up to the potential Wannstedt think he has. He really hasn't showed great abilities in either blocking or catching and probably never will, so I say he will be cut come September 9.
Grade: D-

Ed Perry- Ed, who is the teams long snapper, never gets much playing time at Tight End as he did when Marino was QB. Although that is due to the fact that Miami now has two quality TE's in Weaver and McMichael. Plus Perry has bad hands, and is really only good for blocking. Nevertheless Perry is a lock to make this team, due to him being the long snapper.

Shawn Draper- Draper has been impressive as far as blocking goes, but not really as impressive at catching the ball. Due to the fact Miami will only hold three TE's, he doesn't have a chance at jumping over Weaver, McMichaels, and Perry(Long Snapper) to take a spot away. Nevertheless if they move him to Tackle, he may make the Practice Squad.

Centers:
Tim Ruddy- Ruddy, who was once considered to be a Pro Bowl player, has since decreased the past two years. He has since went from Potential Pro Bowler, to injured, to possibly being released. Although he does deserve some slack due to being hampered by a groin injury last year. So far at Camp Ruddy has not been really impressive. He has been holding too much lately and needs to get through that phase quickly. If Ruddy gets back to his old form than Miami should be good at this position with Ruddy starting.

Troy Andrew- Has recently been playing some Left Guard behind Mark Dixon. Andrew has been really good on pass blocking and pretty efficient on run blocking. One of the causes to Andrew playing at LG in practice may be due to the team wanting McKinney to be the 2nd string Center behind Ruddy. Andrews will have a fairly decent shot at making this team again this year if he continues to block well on the run and pass.

Seth McKinney- His three day hodlout seems to be not even effecting him, although the extra three days would have got him more practice in. McKinney has shown great quickness especially on getting his hands on the Defensive Lineman. However he does lack alittle bit of strength, especially in the run and pass. He didn't do bad in the running and passing drills, but he did get pushed back alittle. If he works hard in the weight room and against our tough interior Defensive Lineman, than he should have no problem making this team behind Ruddy at Center.

Guards:
Mark Dixon- Dixon, who missed last year due to injury is slowly coming back into form. Although on Monday, he did come up limping, but it must have not been too serious because he never missed a down. So far in camp, Dixon has done well in blocking the run, as well as the pass against Jason Taylor. In fact on Monday, Coach Wannstedt praised Dixon for his work against Jason. It looks as though he will be back to starting form by September 9.

Todd Perry- Perry has looked good so far. He made a couple of nice blocks yesterday especially when the offense was running ball. A few of his blocks have opened up some holes for the Running Backs. After a dismal season last year after signing a pretty nice contract, he seems to be back to the guy Miami wanted when they signed him.
Grade: A-

Leon Searcy- Searcy has been playing like Jeckyl and Hyde. One day he is playing great and has people talkinga bout him being a Pro Bowler. Then the next day, he has a bad day and has people talking about him barely making the team. Overall I think Searcy will only get better and will push Perry for the starting job at Right Guard.

Jamie Nails- Nails, who was in Miami Camp last year and impressed the coaches, just wasn't good enough. However this year he seems to be more fit at blocking. His strong point is blocking on the run. He has such great upper body strength that he can easily push other Lineman back. Nevertheless his weakness is blocking on the pass. He doesn't seem to pick it up to well. Needless to say if Nails continues to block well on the run, it will only get better on the pass blocking too.

Anthony Cesario- Anthony has been playing Tackle, Guard, and Center at camp so far this year and quite frankly has been doing pretty decent at every position. He seems to pick up the run well, as well as the pass. He should battle Andrew for a roster spot on the 53 man roster. If he fails to beat out Andrew, he will definitely find a place on the practice squad.

Jim Bundren- Jim has no shot at making this team. Although he doesn't get much playing time, when he's in there, he doesn't pick up the run or pass very well. I look for Bundren to be on the first cut list.
Grade: D

Tackles:
Todd Wade- Wade has looked exceptionally well, both against the run and pass. After a dismal 2nd season, he seems to returning back to form. With his strength, it will be difficult for the Defensive Line to move him back any. However you won't know how good Wade will be until later in camp, but as of now, his future looks bright.

Marcus Spriggs- Spriggs, who will be competing with Brent Smith for that Left Tackle job, had a pretty decent first couple of practices eventhough he worked with the second string Lineman. He did well against the run, as well as the pass on certain ocassions. When matched up for Jason Taylor, he made some nice plays, as well as bad ones, but he will learn after experience in a few more practices.

Brent Smith- Practiced on Tuesday. Did some drills, but not all.

Greg Jerman- Jerman will be giving a shot to make this team as a rookie, but his chances aren't good if Wade, Spriggs, and Smith stay healthy. He could however make the Practice Squad if all goes well. .As I haven't seen too much of him, I can't make a judgement on him.

Corey Mitchell- Mitchell will be giving a shot to make this team as a rookie like Jerman, but his chances aren't good either if Wade, Spriggs, and Smith stay healthy. He could however battle with Jerman to make the Practice Squad if all goes well in camp and preseason. .As I haven't seen too much of him either, I can't make a judgement on him.

Cornell Green- Green will be giving a shot to make the Practice Squad if he plays well in Preseason and Camp, which I highly doubt. As I haven't seen too much of him, I can't make a judgement on him, but i would almost guarentee that he will be on the first cut list.

Defensive Ends:
Jason Taylor- Taylor is back to his old self, beating the Tackles to get to the Quarterback. One thing I really am impressed with, is his run stopping ability. He has been doing a good job of that lately. It will be good to see if his run stopping ability carries over to Preseason and then the Reglar Season.

Jay Williams- Jay will be giving the oppurtunity in the Preseason to win the starting job at LDE over Rob Burnett. Jay has been playing well in the limited time he has been in there. His pass rushing has been fairly decent, while his run defense hasn't been as spectacular. However he has only practiced a few times since they just opened on Monday for all players. Nevertheless, I feel Jay will be an excellent Defensive End for Miami this upcoming season.

Rob Burnett- Rob will be giving the oppurtunity in the Preseason and in Camp to win the starting job at LDE over Jay Williams. Rob has been playing well in the limited time he has been in there. His pass rushing has been fairly decent as like Williams, while his run defense hasn't been as spectacular either. However I feel he will be great coming in on passing downs to rush the Quarterback, ie like Armstrong did in 2000. Needless to say Burnett could win the starting job if he continues to prove he is worthy at 35.

Adewale Ogunleye- Adewale has been really impressing the coaches lately. He over the past few camps has been rushing the Quarterback well, as well as stopping the run nicely. Ogunleye, who didn't receive much playing time last year, sure is making a strong run to receive some this time around. To tell you the truth I would like to see Ogunleye move opposite of Jason Taylor to LDE. Nevertheless they won't and Ogunleye will compete with David Bowens, who's playing well to see who will backup Jason at RDE.

David Bowens- David the last few practices, has been spectacular. He has been rushing the QB nicely, while stopping the run. David has now became a close competition to Jay Williams for the start at Left Defensive End. Bowens last year showed a glimmer of his talents towards the end of last year, but now he is ready to shine as a starter with the praise of Head Coach David Bowens.

Rod Kelly- Rod has a slimmer of a chance to make this team with five good Defensive Ends already on the roster. Rod will have to compete with Bowens and Ogunleye to make the team, but I don't think he will get the necessary playing time to overtake one of them. As I haven't seen much of him , I can't make a fair judgement.

Defensive Tackle:
Tim Bowens- Tim has looked good in the middle, especially with the pairing of him and Chester. Bowens has really done a good job clogging up the run in the middle. He isn't much of a pass rusher threat though, which Gardener was. Needless to say Bowens is a better run blocker and has continued to show that thus far.

Larry Chester- Has become a favorite of the Dolphins next to Bowens. Chester has also been doing a fantastic job of clogging up the middle with Bowens. However, like Bowens, Chester isn't much of a pass rusher either. Nevertheless with Chester's strength, no one Guard or Tackle will be able to push him back, unless maybe they clip him. With him paired up with Bowens, they should completely stop the run all together up the middle.

Jermaine Haley- Has been playing well with the second team defense and his partner Ernest Grant. Haley has been clogging up the middle pretty good, but does leave some holes open and let the Running Backs get through to easily. Haley is expected to compete with Chester for the starting job, but with Chester playing great and Haley playing mediocre, I think Haley will stay at second string based on his performance so far.

Ernest Grant- Grant has been paired up with Haley on the second team defense. Grant along with Haley have left some holes open up the middle for the Running backs to go through. With Grant not being a good pass rusher, he will have to do a better job clogging up the middle since he is competing with James Atkins to make the roster. If Grant fails to impove, he most likely will land on the Practice Squad.

James Atkins- Atkins has been decent inside clogging up the run, but as the other Dolphins DT's, he fails to have any type of pass rush abilities. However since he is doing as good as Grant, he still has a chance to make this squad. Like Grant, if he fails to improve than he will find himself on the Practice Squad.

Dario Romero- Will most likely be fighting for a spot on the Practice Squad, since he obviously doesn't have a chance to make this team, especially with him not getting much playing time. However it is early in camp and things could rapidly change. Nevertheless, since I don't know much about him, I will not give him a grade.

Henry Taylor- Will most likely be fighting for a spot on the Practice Squad like Romero, since he obviously doesn't have a chance to make this team, especially with him not getting much playing time either, as Romero. However it is early in camp and he could impress the coaches with some plays. Nevertheless, since I don't know much about him, I will not give him a grade.

Linebackers:
Zach Thomas- Zach, as you all know is the anchor of our defense. Zach so far in camp has made some nice tackles, as well as a good job on blitzing the Quarterback. However Zach has missed some tackles, which we are not use to seeing from Zach, although that was just the first day, but still it raises some concern on whether Zach Thomas is still injured.

Derrick Rodgers- Rodgers has looked mediocre in both camps so far. He hasn't really done anything spectacular, but early in Training Camp not many Linebackers are spectacular. He has made some nice tackles, but other than that he really hasn't done nothing.

Morlon Greenwood- Morlon has looked really good in camp. He has came with some nice plays in camp and actually did a good job on Monday when the Fins tried alot of different blitzking packages. With him being in great shape this year, there is no reason he shouldn't be able to be leading them team in tackles with Zach.

Twan Russell- Twan has made some nice tackles, but like Rodgers, he hasn't done anything spectacular to assure him a spot on the team. Needless to say when the team starts Special Teams drills, Russell will be in the thick of things. However with Thomas, Rodgers, and Greenwood getting most work in camp thus far, Twan hasn't got really a chance to show his potentials.

Justin Seaverns- Justin has showed alot of heart since Training camp opened on Friday. He has made some nice plays, but really will be worked once they start scrimmages and the Preseason. However since he hasn't came up with many plays, he still will only get a C for some nice plays and playing with tons of heart.

Tommy Hendricks- Henricks just returned to camp today, after being out with the flu. Nevertheless since I haven't seem him play much I can't really evaluate him. Needless to say he will have a great chance at making this roster, especially on Special Teams, if he produces like last year.

Scott Galyon- Galyon hasn't seen much playing time lately in camp, since Miami has such great depth there. Nevertheless since I haven't seem him play much I can't really evaluate him. Needless to say he will have a great chance at making this roster, especially on Special Teams or even a Linebacker if he plays like he did when he was with the Giants a few years back.

Kevin Rollins- Rollins is a guy who has no chance of making this team with the depth at Linebacker. he may however find himself on the Practice Squad, if he shows enough talent that could one day benefit the team if called upon.

Wadley and Sumonette- Neither have shown great talent. Will be on first or second cut list, with no chance of making the Practice Squad.

Safeties:
Brock Marion- Brock has not shown much in Training camp so far, but is one of the leaders on the Fins Defense that everyone respects. Brock however always has a quite camp, but always shows up in time for the Regular Season. Brock is a lock to make this team.

Arturo Freeman- Auturo has shown great poise so far in camp and is looking at winning the starting job at Strong Safety, which he most likely will do eventhough he has been quite this camp. Needless to say eventhough Freeman is quite, he has still amde some solid plays, as well as not getting burned deep.

Ray Green- Green, who has supposely been doing a good job, has been relatively quite so far. However from what I saw, Ray has gotten burnt quite a few times. Ray will have every oppurtunity to make this team if he starts not taking so many risks.

Scott MaGarrahan- Scott has not shown much in Training camp so far, but is one of the top Fins in Special Teams play. As he showed last year, he can down punts nicely, as well as make some nice hits. Later on in Training Camp though he will have to prove still that he is worthy of a roster spot due to his play at Special Teams.

Scott Shields- Shields has now been moved to Linebacker, which is best for him based on his size and quickness. With him being a quick guy and a bone jarring tackler, he has a good chance at either knocking Russell, Henricks, or Galyon off the roster. Only time will tell how well he makes the transistion.

Shawn Wooden- Wooden, who will be competing with Freeman for the Strong Safety spot has been relatively quite. Based on him nots eeing much playing time, I can not evaluate his talents. However largely due to his Special Yeams play, he should prove he can make this roster again.

Delvin Brown- Have not seen Brown yet really make any good plays. However he may be given a shot to win a Practice Squad spot.

Cornerbacks:
Sam Madison- Madison so far in camp has been spectacular. He came up with an interception today, as well as holding his ground vs. Chris Chambers. Nevertheless Madison has gotten mauled by Gadsden a few times, but he can't help that when Gadzilla is all over him. However Madison is an All-Pro Cornerback, who has not let down for a minute in camp.

Patrick Surtain- As Madison, Suratin so far in camp has been spectacular. He also came up with an interception today, as well as holding his ground vs. Oronde Gadsden. Nevertheless Surtain does gamble too much, and it sometimes is costly. Needless to say he is still a Pro Bowl caliber guy, who has impressed me so far in camp.

Omare Lowe- Lowe, only a rookie has shown great hands, as well as great speed. Lowe has also shown that great leadership that most rookies lack. With Lowe, he seems like he has been here before. Needless to say he will compete with jamar Fletcher for that Nickle Back position.

Jamar Fletcher- Fletcher, thought of by many as a bust, has really shown some great signs of potential in camp. He has came up with a few interception, which is very impressive. However he has been burnt a few times, that shoudln't happen with his speed. If he continues to improves like he has the past two days, than he should be able to amke this team as a backup. Needless to say, he still has a very good chance of winning that Nickle Back position away from Omare.

Zebbie Lethridge- Lethridge is invited to Fins Camp every year and every year, he is just a guy that keeps getting beat. Needless to say, it has happened again. He won't even compete for a roster spot. Case closed.
Grade: F

Cedric Donaldson- Donaldson, people say has looked good in camp. However, Miami has tried him out at Wide Receiver. With the Cornerback position being full with Madison, Surtain, Lowe, and Fletcher and the Wide Receiver position being full with Chambers, Gadsden, ward, McKnight, Simmons, and Ogden, he doesn't have any chance of making this team at either position.

Kicker:
Olindo Mare- Mare has not seen hardly any action so far, but why would he. He has clearly done won the job over Vitaly Pisetsky.

Vitaly Pisetsky- Vitaly has shown great accuracy, but lacks the leg strength that Mare has. With Miami only keeping one Kicker on board, Vitaly is out.

Punter:
Mark Royals- Signed in the Offseason to replace Matt Turk, Royals was basically going to be guarenteed a spot until Casey Roussel was signed. Now Royals will have to go out there and beat Roussel, who has been impressing the coaches, as well as the fans. Needless to say it will be a great competition.

Casey Roussel- Signed as a Undrafted FA, Roussel was expected to come in and just push Mark for teh starting job. he wasn't expected to win it. Nevertheless, though the past few days, Roussel has been easily booming 60-65 yarders. If all goes right for Roussel, he has an excellent chance to be Miami's starting Punter come September 9th.

Small Notes:
LB Tommy Hendricks returned today after missing yesterdays camp with the flu

Trailblazers SF Scottie Pippen was on hand to see the Dolphins practice

Tackle Brent Smith returned to action after not practicing yesterday

Next Training Camp:
The Miami Dolphins will have one practice on Wednesday. It will run from 4-6:15 p.m.

Don't forget to check out the pictures page located at http://tcreports.finheaven.com/fincamppics02.php. I will be adding a few more pictures from todays action later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot...

...for the thorough reporting again. I may be 3-4000 miles distant but I can really get a flavour of the camp activities. You get a gold star.:D

Nice job on the report! That must have taken some time to write up. On Fletcher, I took Wanny's comments to say that Fletch is okay at #3 and well move on from there. Thanks Again!

:) :D :)

Great reports guys, Thanks, keep up the good work.

Interesting that Norv is using 4 WR set's, I didn't think he was much into that. Another real nice observation is that the Fins are utilizing the middle of the field in the passing game, something they have generally avoided the past 6 years.

However Leonard Henry was awesome today. During the middle drill on one ocassion he broke one and went the distance. This guy really has some potential.

:)

Back
Top Bottom