Jim Haslett vs Wanny? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jim Haslett vs Wanny?

FinNasty

"The Sticker Dunk"
Reaction score
Is it just me or is Jim Haslett is the NFC version of Wanny? I think this guy is terrible and should have been fired a couple of years ago. :shakeno: I dunno, but I just think that he is plainly a terrible coach who doesnt prepare his team to play whatsoever. Now that Wanny is gone, I honestly believe that Haslett is the worst coach in the NFL. Any thoughts?

Nasty

Mike Martz's teams generally make the playoffs. He makes some really bad ingame strategic calls but his teams are ready to play, he schemes well. I think the Saints keep Haslett around because getting a real coach would cost real money and if they fired Haslett theyd have to keep paying him. His teams have underachieved every year he's been there. I like Norv Turner as a OC but he might get some consideration too. Hate to say that, I really like the guy. Haslett gets the vote though.

i think haslett is just as bad and wanny. the saints have some damn good talent but play horrible in games. the saints are very poorly coached.

SQuinn17 said:
i think haslett is just as bad and wanny. the saints have some damn good talent but play horrible in games. the saints are very poorly coached.

To add to that they haven't drafted well or kept the right guys... Saints have been underpreforming in my opinion for like 5 years now.

Redvs.Blue Phin said:
I dont know, mike martz gives him a run for his money.

Damn took the words right outta my mouth

[seriously i was gonna say that exact same thing haha]

He's better than Wannstedt in that NO's drafts much better players. However the underperforming, other incidents over the years which makes it seem the inmates run the asylum is all Wanny. I saw an interview with Brooks where he said he wasn't friends with any of his receivers. That speaks a lot about why the team struggles as well.

FinNasty23 said:
Is it just me or is Jim Haslett is the NFC version of Wanny? I think this guy is terrible and should have been fired a couple of years ago. :shakeno: I dunno, but I just think that he is plainly a terrible coach who doesnt prepare his team to play whatsoever. Now that Wanny is gone, I honestly believe that Haslett is the worst coach in the NFL. Any thoughts?

Nasty

I agree completley, Jim Haslett is in fact the NFC version of our beloved Wanny. Lets look at the facts, in spite of having pretty solid drafts which have yielded a lot of talent, Haslett's Saints have underachieved on a yearly basis, since his first and only trip to the playoffs in 2000. The fact is that both, Wannstedt and Haslett both should have been fired following the 2002 season.

Dave should have been canned after his team went from the top seed in the conference with two weeks to play, to out of the playoffs completley after two consecutive ugly losses, which to this day leave Dolfans wondering what could have been in '02.

In regards to good ol' Jim he should have been fired as well after that season. After racing to a 9-4 record, the Saints had a playoff berth all but secured with three weeks to play, all they needed was one victory against either the; Vikings, Bengals or Panthers, teams with a combined record of 17-35 that year. Instead, New Orleans took a dive losing their final three games of the season to miss out on the playoffs.

Now, instead of firing both Wannstedt and Haslett after their respective collapses, Wayne Huizenga (Miami) & Tom Benson (New Orleans) decided to keep their head coaches. This led to nothing but trouble for both franchises.

After the Dolphins completed a solid 10-6 season in 2003, Miami experienced one of the worst offseasons in the history of professional sports, which included the retirement of running back Ricky Williams. The ensuing sh*t storm and Davey's inabilty to adapt to Ricky's defection, exposed Wannstedt as a bad coach and he "resigned" after a 1-8 start to the '04 campaign.

Meanwhile, in the Big Easy, the Saints have become the league's model in mediocrity as Haslett's crew have posted back-to-back 8-8 campaigns in 2003 and 2004. While a break-even record isn't terrible, New Orleans has been one of the most erratic teams in the league over the past two seasons, looking like a world-beater one week and a doormat the next, evidence of poor coaching and preparation on Haslett's part.

Fast-forward to 2005; the Dolphins went out following the worst season in franchise history and hired the highly sought, Nick Saban to clean up the mess that the Wannstedt regime left and so far, things are looking a lot better than they ever did under Wanny down in Davie, Florida. Whereas the Saints have decided to keep the perrenial underachiever, Haslett hoping that the Saints will ride the momentum that ended the '04 campaign.

Good luck New Orleans.

MarksBrothers85 said:
While a break-even record isn't terrible, New Orleans has been one of the most erratic teams in the league over the past two seasons

Thanks in part to Aaron Brooks being the most inconsistent quaterback in the league.

kingnate85 said:
Thanks in part to Aaron Brooks being the most inconsistent quaterback in the league.

Ya, but inconsistant coaching leads to inconsistant play from the players. If the players arnt prepared, they will play bad.

Nasty

FinNasty23 said:
Ya, but inconsistant coaching leads to inconsistant play from the players. If the players arnt prepared, they will play bad.

Nasty

Oh no argument here, I think Jim Haslett is very inconsistant with his coaching and he's mediocre at best. Brooks sure doesn't help him any though.

GreenMonster said:
To add to that they haven't drafted well or kept the right guys... Saints have been underpreforming in my opinion for like 5 years now.

you took the words right outta my mouth!

Martz is pretty bad. No way NE should have won that SB 4 seasons ago. Martz was completely outcoached by Bellichick. Terribly outcoached when you consider how much more talent he had on the fireld than NE.

Back
Top Bottom