Joe Philbin on 4th and 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Philbin on 4th and 5

Quadfather

Club Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone posted this, but Joe Philbin said earlier on an interview on SiriusXM, that when they had the 3rd and 17 or whatever at the end of the game, that he had made up his mind and told Sherman before the 3rd down play that it he had two downs and he fully intended to go for it on 4th down. Another good coaching move, he allowed Sherman to select a play to pick up half or more of the down yards, instead of trying to get it all on 3rd down. He also said he thought clay had a great game, as the patriots focused on clay in their game plan, and it allowed Wallace, hartline, and Matthews get open.

Don't think we had much of a choice. Couldn't understand the announcers saying he should punt, I was thinking go for it all the way. We lost Grimes and Carroll and Will Davis was getting his lunch money taken...7 of 9 completed for 90 yards against him. It was pitch and catch. Either you go for it or you watch Brady work the clock and lose the game. Made perfect sense to me.

Don't think we had much of a choice. Couldn't understand the announcers saying he should punt, I was thinking go for it all the way. We lost Grimes and Carroll and Will Davis was getting his lunch money taken...7 of 9 completed for 90 yards against him. It was pitch and catch. Either you go for it or you watch Brady work the clock and lose the game. Made perfect sense to me.

I think they were saying that because we still had 3 timeouts. I agreed with Philbin's decision however, as I didn't feel comfortable asking the defense to get a stop on Brady while we were still trailing.

That 4th down play was a miracle. Excellent manipulation on his arm slot for Tannehill to avoid the rusher, a fantastic block, and a great run by Clay.

However, that was a questionable play call. Sherman had himself a pretty good day...but man the players bailed him out on that call. 4th and 5 and you throw the ball behind the LOS? Risky business right there...but it worked so Ill take it

I think they were saying that because we still had 3 timeouts. I agreed with Philbin's decision however, as I didn't feel comfortable asking the defense to get a stop on Brady while we were still trailing.

Problem with that is, Brady was going to drive for a score at will, so he would have moved the ball just quick enough to ensure himself at least 20sec in the redzone, but slow enough where he forced Miami to use their timeouts. It was the right call.

I told another fan at the bar that we had to go for that 4th down. Even with 3 timeouts, I did not trust our defense to get the offense the ball back. Brady to Edelman was working every time.

Problem with that is, Brady was going to drive for a score at will, so he would have moved the ball just quick enough to ensure himself at least 20sec in the redzone, but slow enough where he forced Miami to use their timeouts. It was the right call.

lol. You just basically said what I wrote in that post.

the play call was perfect. change of pace, nothing new England expected. if it wasn't for Hightower getting pressure on the throw, that would have been a huge gain

Nothing better than MMQB after a win..

Oh please, I was yelling at my screen as it happened.

That was the only point in the game that made me mad. I was laughing when Fields got nailed in the face... But that screen behind the line of scrimmage on 4th and 5? That was infuriating. We only got that first down because Clay turned absolutely nothing into 5 yards.

What Philbin did was correct decades of predictable Dolphin game management. For how many years have we watched the other team have the ball with 6:00 left, then we get it with 4:00 left and punt with 2:00 left hoping to get the ball one more time?

Our 4:00 and 6:00 offenses need a lot of work. But we need to develop a killer instinct more so than anything. We have given too many games to the other team to lose, instead of taking control of the game to win.

What we did yesterday was let our guys win the game instead of letting the Patriots win it. The better team won yesterday because we finally decided to create our destiny instead of letter the Patriots decide what they wanted for us.

This team's coming together in spite of adversity. That's a great sign and should be allowed to continue to grow and develop.

If you can't see the media's perception changing for us, then you're missing some major crow eating on national TV. Tannehill is becoming a media darling. And his potential is not only unlimited, he's quietly becoming an Elite QB.

Enjoy the success, we've earned it.

That was the only point in the game that made me mad. I was laughing when Fields got nailed in the face... But that screen behind the line of scrimmage on 4th and 5? That was infuriating. We only got that first down because Clay turned absolutely nothing into 5 yards.

look again, clay had perfect blocking in front of him. if the throw wasn't disrupted it was at least 10 years

If you can't see the media's perception changing for us, then you're missing some major crow eating on national TV. Tannehill is becoming a media darling. And his potential is not only unlimited, he's quietly becoming an Elite QB.

There is no bigger Tannehill fan than me, there may be some as big, but no one bigger. I wanted this guy, I wanted us to draft him and I was both in shock and elation when they called his name on draft day but lets not go to elite status yet. He's got a long way to go. When Tannehill starts hitting deep passes with consistency he will be on his way to elite but he's not there yet. I have confidence he'll get there and I think he will most definitely put in the work to get better at it but he still has to do it on the field. Even with all that said I think he's the best QB we've had since Marino...without question.

I also did not like the play call. I was predicting a slant in to Hartline. The play was gutsy and Clay proved again his value to the team. I will say I LOVE the play call of Thomas TD catch in the fourth quarter. Beautiful play action caught the Pats sleeping.

The play that saved our season worked, but the conversations is if the play didn't work? Hunh? Well, if it was such a terrible call, we would be sitting here out of the playoff picture wouldn't we ??

Back
Top Bottom