Joe rose interviews Coach Saban | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe rose interviews Coach Saban

Da 'Fins said:
This is a good point. The real key to practicing is teaching/learning. You do need a degree of hitting and pad work to get used to the physicality of the game, but that can easily come in 2-3 weeks.

The main thing is to get them functioning as units (OL, QB-WR's; RB/OL; defense as a whole; etc). That's very much a mental part. If they can be focused and efficient - as Saban seems to be good at - I think they will avoid a lot of that fatigue.

Definitely. And you hear Saban talk a whole lot about "teaching" period. So we should feel safe in expecting such changes IMO.

This guy knows what he's doing. He's got a lot of things figured out that many other NFL coaches don't. You just get the impression that this guy has considered "everything" when it comes to different aspects of the game and his football team.

Saving players (wear and tear)
Unpredictability
Aggression
Preparedness
Adjustment

These are things we're not used to seeing around here. And yet they are absolute staples in the Saban handbook. Not since Shula have we had a coach with this kind of reputation as a teacher and coach. Plus, this guy is a helluva motivator and talent evaluator.

We're really high this guy right now, partially due to the ineptitude we just got finished with. Things could certainly change once the team starts losing games in the fall (and we will, it's a transition year). But Saban has the long-term in mind. He's set on building a team that contends year in and year out. So it's going to take a year or two to build that foundation. But I've got confidence in this guy. A whole lot of it. I can't wait for this thing to get rolling. :)

awing_pilot said:
Joe: Tell us about the will poole issue.
Saban: We are alwyas trying to upgrade any football player at any position that can help our football team. Surtain was a buisness decision and nothing more. I was looking to implement moore more in the game. He jumped up in practice and twisted it before he even came down. I didn't make an annoucement due to the fact that we wanted to see what the doctors said once they operated on him which will define exactly what the issue is and the turn around time until he can come back. Hopefully we can have him on a PUP and he can add to the team later in the season.
Is he talking about Will Poole or Moore??? Am I the only one confused?

Da 'Fins said:
This is a keeper quote. Very good one to live by. Thanks for the notes on the interview!
yes, that is a fantastic quote. One I am going to keep in mind because many people often call me pessimistic. I try to explain to them that I am not a Debbie Downer, but one who doesn't want to set a situation up for only failure.

Nice. No coincidence that injuries haev affected cornerback and defensive tackle the most so far, and the guys we've brought in this late are Traylor and Law. Also no coincidence that these guys played on the Pats...where coming here they'd practically already know the entire defense.

I notice over the weekend that Saban has included Chester as a concern at DT.
That's what I was afraid of. :(

Muck said:
Definitely. And you hear Saban talk a whole lot about "teaching" period. So we should feel safe in expecting such changes IMO.

This guy knows what he's doing. He's got a lot of things figured out that many other NFL coaches don't. You just get the impression that this guy has considered "everything" when it comes to different aspects of the game and his football team.

Saving players (wear and tear)
Unpredictability
Aggression
Preparedness
Adjustment

These are things we're not used to seeing around here. And yet they are absolute staples in the Saban handbook. Not since Shula have we had a coach with this kind of reputation as a teacher and coach. Plus, this guy is a helluva motivator and talent evaluator.

We're really high this guy right now, partially due to the ineptitude we just got finished with. Things could certainly change once the team starts losing games in the fall (and we will, it's a transition year). But Saban has the long-term in mind. He's set on building a team that contends year in and year out. So it's going to take a year or two to build that foundation. But I've got confidence in this guy. A whole lot of it. I can't wait for this thing to get rolling. :)

Im so happy we have Nick Saban. :D

ckparrothead said:
Nice. No coincidence that injuries haev affected cornerback and defensive tackle the most so far, and the guys we've brought in this late are Traylor and Law. Also no coincidence that these guys played on the Pats...where coming here they'd practically already know the entire defense.

yes indeed. One has to wonder if the pipeline from patsland to Miami has begun or is about to.

How much do we save if Timbo and Chester end up cut? I think Timbo is a sure thing to be gone. Also this has to be the reason we still have Z'gonina (sp?)

Back
Top Bottom