John Avery | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

John Avery

The NFL Europe is hardly worth watching because of the low skill level and disorganized play. I guess I can say that high school and college football are a lot different because the fan's watching the game are very into it, which makes the game enjoyable. I just don't find the Europe leage with its large emtpy stadiums and lack of real teams and history exciting. These teams are different every year and there is no continuity.

I wonder if he still plays Playstation?

dealbyauctionstore_1842_173237205-1.jpg

So was he a bust or did JJ never let him start? He never started a game, ever. After his rookie season I would've thought he would get more playing time, when in fact he got less. J. Avery being a bust was as much JJ's fault as it was his.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12193

He was pretty damn good at a lot of stuff his rookie season, check his kick returns...

http://www.caffimage.com/interviews/interview-mr_040617.php
He was an outstanding ball player and even started ahead of future NFL standout Deuce McAllister.

When Johnson asked Avery to take a pay cut and he declined, the talented young runningback was traded to Denver. Unfortunately, he was then stuck behind the likes of Terrell Davis and Olandis Gary.

Honus Joglund said:
So I imagine you don't watch any other minor sports because of the skill level right? I mean, if the CFL's a joke because of the skill level, then NFL-Europe must be brutal too, right? Same with minor league baseball and college sports and the Olympics? High school sports must really be out of the question then too, right? I'm just going by your well thought out arguement here.

It's ignorant posts like these that drive me crazy. Yes, the players obviously aren't nearly as good, so what? There's more to sport than watching the best and only best. :rolleyes:

He's talking about Rod Smart in the XFL. NOT THE CFL! :shakeno:
Yo he was THE MAN in the XFL. But what a NFL bust. Ha its funny the worst players in the NFL were like the best in that joke league. Shows you the skill level.

Doesn't anyone ever read anymore? Or do people just like to bash others even when they're the ones who are wrong? Start thinking before you bash someone for no reason.

Fin fan in Calgary. NFL is and always has been and will be #1, but am also a Stampeders season ticket holder and CFL fan. Obviously the talent is not the same, and everyone would prefer to play in the NFL, even Canadians. But I think it is still a good game, its just a different game requiring different skills sets, etc. because of the rules and longer, wider field. There have been a few NFL'ers and prospects who have come up here thinking they could light it up easily and been unable to handle the speed, conditioning, etc required (ie Ferragamo, and other immobile QB's and lineman). For the most part games are usually wide open and exciting, and in Calgary and most of the west also fun to go to and good party.

gofins said:
I wish him luck. Hopefully he has matured from the days of sleeping and playing video games during meetings. Sucks he got hurt. I'm sure he's still fast as Sh1t!!

He also didn't hit the hole too much, electing to dance around the backfield before making a move.

The guy had talent.Just not first round talent.And he was injury prone.We have had worst busts.

GWNFinfan said:
Fin fan in Calgary. NFL is and always has been and will be #1, but am also a Stampeders season ticket holder and CFL fan. Obviously the talent is not the same, and everyone would prefer to play in the NFL, even Canadians. But I think it is still a good game, its just a different game requiring different skills sets, etc. because of the rules and longer, wider field. There have been a few NFL'ers and prospects who have come up here thinking they could light it up easily and been unable to handle the speed, conditioning, etc required (ie Ferragamo, and other immobile QB's and lineman). For the most part games are usually wide open and exciting, and in Calgary and most of the west also fun to go to and good party.

I agree, although he NFL is easily #1 the CFL is a great game to watch as well

different game...different back...averys biggest flaw was running into the hole...in the cfl he has 10 extra yards of horizontal field to play with...ive saw him play...and i have to say hes one of the fastest players ive ever seen touch a ball...belittle his accomplishments if u want...but to be making $700 000 in a league outside the US is a good one...

FuturePhin said:
I didnt think he was that bad. I thought karem abul jabar was far worse. Our Oline wasnt very good at run blocking either so whos to say this isnt what he is with good blocking???

Dude, lay off the pipe. John Avery was undersized and had no business in the NFL. He had some bursts of speed, but was easily tackled and also injury proned. Don't tell me he could have, should have or would have if not for one thing or another. He was never made for the NFL.

As far as Karim Abdul-Jabbar being the worst is concerned -- he was not. He nearly recorded back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. He had no one to block for him, and ran the ball during the latter of Marino's career. Of course everyone would be gunning for him.

If anything, Abdul-Jabbar could have been a star in the NFL. He was my favorite Dolphin when Jimmy Johnson took over.

actually Avery was far from a bust since he gained about 503 yards rushing in his rookie year and did not start very many games. The coaching staff traded him for a real bust from Denver after using a first round pick on a guy that at least showed some signs of producing. Those 503 yards were barely eclipsed by Sammy Morris this year. This was just another of Jimmy Johnsons screwing up of the dolphins team.

Marc790 said:
Dude, lay off the pipe. John Avery was undersized and had no business in the NFL. He had some bursts of speed, but was easily tackled and also injury proned. Don't tell me he could have, should have or would have if not for one thing or another. He was never made for the NFL.

Sounds like you could be talking about Zach Thomas.... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom