John Clayton's Dec. 31st cap figures | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

John Clayton's Dec. 31st cap figures

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Thus, all the roster bonuses count vs cap

No, it implies that some roster bonuses may be NLTBE, which is surprising, and that LTBE incentives are part of the cap during the whole league year. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This cap stuff confuses me ;)

Just found out that option bonuses may NOT count vs cap until exercised.

I'm not happy :mad:

This cap stuff confuses me ;)

Just found out that option bonuses may NOT count vs cap until exercised.

I'm not happy :mad:

Duh. :lol:

I've always thought a roster bonus was an option bonus. These I've been told by people in sports agencies (my major) that the option bonuses do not count until exercised.

If this is not true, he's got some splaining to do.

Signing, option, roster,

All are different but somewhat the same ;)

Hey Clump, how does the cap account for the paper bags full of cash that we will give free agents this off-season to sign with us?

Uh...wait...did I say too much?......never mind....I was just joking...

:chuckle: :couch:

Nothing counts against the cap until March 1st, which is the first day of the new league year.

These cap numbers are computed now to let teams anticipate where they will stand on March 1st and can change greatly between now and then depending on a player getting cut.

As for Fiedler, until Miami picks up the option bonus it does not count against the cap. The same applies to any other roster or workout bonuses. Until they are paid they do not count against the cap.

I'm sure the FO has a cap sheet showing Fiedler getting the bonus and Fiedler not getting the bonus along with about 20 others in anticipation of getting under the number by March 1st.

The CBA

* Any amount specified to be paid for the exercise of an option by a Club to extend the term of a Player Contract shall be treated as signing bonus, prorated over the remaining term of the contract commencing in the League Year in which it is exercised or the last League Year in which the option may be exercised, whichever comes first. Such an option amount shall, immediately upon execution of the contract, renegotiation or extension, be included in any calculation for purposes of the 25% Rule for Rookies, set forth in Article XVII, Section 4(e) of the CBA, and/or the 30% Rule, set forth in Article XXIV, Section 8 of the CBA, prorated over the remaining term of the contract commencing in the last League Year in which the option may be exercised. Notwithstanding the foregoing: (i) if a Club renounces its right to exercise the option, the option amount shall not be included in Team Salary as of the date of such renunciation; and (ii)

Page 136

if the club does not renounce, but nonetheless does not exercise the option, the full amount of the option amount previously counted against Team Salary shall be credited to the Club's Salary Cap in the next League Year.

*Side Letter 10/21/96: Sec. 4

Last edited by a moderator:
The CBA

* Compensation to players for participation in the off-season workout programs or classroom instruction sessions of a Club at the minimum amount set forth in Article XXXV of the CBA shall be included in Team Salary on the first day of such program, calculated by multiplying: (i) the minimum amount set forth in Article XXXV, Section 3; (ii) the number of players scheduled to participate in such program at said minimum amount; (iii)

Page 133

the number of days per week scheduled for such program; and (iv) the number of weeks scheduled for such program. For example, without limitation upon any other example, a Club having a nine-week workout program in the 1994 League Year for sixty players to be paid at the minimum amount will include $108,000 in its Team Salary on the first day of such program ($50 per day x four workout days per week x nine weeks x sixty players). At the conclusion of a club’s off-season workout program, any such minimum amounts which are unearned and unpaid shall be subtracted from Salary and Team Salary.

*Side Letter 5/24/95: Sec. 3

Back
Top Bottom