Jonnu Smith visits Miami | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jonnu Smith visits Miami

He would be an immediate upgrade over Durham Smythe at TE1 and likely won't cost much. Miami's gonna be bargain shopping until the cap situation is resolved
Durham Smythe is a very good blocking TE. Remember that the Mike McDaniel system likes a TE that can block well. Yes, it would be great to find a George Kittle who is a great blocker and a good pass catcher, but that's not happening.
You see Jonnu Smith as a big upgrade on Durham but I don't know about that. Best opportunities for an upgrade will be in the Draft, eg the uber-athletic Ben Sinnott.

This most probably will be a 1 or 2 yr deal. Potentially a short term fix.

Best receiving threat since Gesicki, and a fit for McDaniel's offense?

Not right at all. Gesicki was a productive pass catcher (and terrible blocker) under Flores, but McDaniel wanted to make him block and rarely threw it to him. I'm not saying Smith isn't a good TE, I'm saying that McDaniel pretty much ignores the TE in the passing game. He focuses on Hill and Waddle, and the rest just get leftovers. Hill could be double-covered, and they'll still throw the ball to him.

I think this will be a great first signing as long as it’s a cheap deal which I’m assuming it will be!

Jonnu brings versatility to the TE position which is something we haven’t had in a long time. Jonnu instantly upgrades our TE room when it comes to receiving. If anything he upgrades our entire offense when it comes to receiving compared to what we had last year. He brings some physicality to our pass game too because of his yards after catch ability. He’s not the best blocker but he’s still serviceable and a much better blocker than Gesicki was.

So all in all I find this as a great signing as long as we do lock him up. Much more work to still do!

Not right at all. Gesicki was a productive pass catcher (and terrible blocker) under Flores, but McDaniel wanted to make him block and rarely threw it to him. I'm not saying Smith isn't a good TE, I'm saying that McDaniel pretty much ignores the TE in the passing game. He focuses on Hill and Waddle, and the rest just get leftovers. Hill could be double-covered, and they'll still throw the ball to him.

The reason he’s a fit is that he CAN block. Gesicki couldn’t. He’s definitely a better receiver than Smythe.

Is it McDaniel or Tua making that decision?

Back
Top Bottom