June 1st Question..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

June 1st Question.....

Predaphin

Predator in the Water
Reaction score
Do teams have to be under a certain salary cap by June 1st??? Wouldnt it be wiser for teams to bluff??? I mean Why should we let Rodgers go and not bluff for an extra 2 to 4 weeks so teams can think we arent releasing him at all and can actually trade us?? The only reason I can see us releasing Rodgers desperatley and exatly on June 1st is because it would have to have some sort of impact to our salary....can anyone explain???? As I understand, teams that are in salary cap trouble are ususally the ones doing most of the June 1st cuts, correct???

June 1st is the date at which teams can spread out remaining amortization over 2 seasons, nothing different in terms of teams being cap compliant.

Teams must be salary cap compliant throughout the League Year (Usually March 1st til the following February).

June 1st cuts are usually left to teams that need cap space to sign draft picks.

ah yes, clump right on time (either that or it seems you can smell the words "SALARY CAP" a mile away), the guy I needed for this type of question....thanks a bunch for explaining bro.....

Which leaves the question....why not bluff with Rodgers? a week or two wont hurt....but lets not tell other teams we're bluffing!:mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question about after june 1st. If you trade a player the original team eats that players signing bonus, but do the same rules apply to trades as cuts. If you trade a guy adre june 1st can you space out his signing bonus over the 2 years?

All i know that we are getting Brian Griese on June 1st !

OHH YEAA OOWWAAA!:band: :happydrin :drinker:

Last edited by a moderator:
Trades are different.

All remaining bonus amortization accelerates into League Year of trade, thus June 1st only applies to players released NOT traded.

So if Miami wanted to trade Rodgers, they would get $250,000 in cap relief but he would also NOT count vs 2004 cap.

There are a number of reasons we will release Rodgers relatively quickly. First is to clear space under the cap to sign Griese and the rookies. We do need to go after Griese relatively quickly for a number of reasons (so that we can avoid a bidding war in case another team gets involved; Griese needs to be here working on the offense; and he is one of only 3-4 marquis names that will be released - which may him a hotter commodity than normal).

Rodgers will not only afford us cap space (we'll clear about 750,000 upon his release, vs 250,000 in a trade), but teams know he's not going to be playing for us - Wanny has asked him to stay away from the camps and workouts.

Finally, it would be unfair to Rodgers and would hurt the team's relationship with the players on the team. How would you feel if Rodgers were a buddy of yours (he's well liked by several players, including Zach) and you knew the team was going to release him, but held on to him and didn't give him as good a shot with another job? Even if you were not a friend, seeing the team treat him that way would not be good. That's one reason the Dolphins released Ray Lucas when they did. They would have released Rodgers already if not for the cap restrictions. If you want guys to play for you and respect the organization, you don't treat players like cattle, even though all of them realize it's a highly competitive business.

Well I would rather we signed O"donnell and kept Rodgers.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
June 1st is the date at which teams can spread out remaining amortization over 2 seasons, nothing different in terms of teams being cap compliant.

Teams must be salary cap compliant throughout the League Year (Usually March 1st til the following February).

June 1st cuts are usually left to teams that need cap space to sign draft picks.

Is June 1st a league mandated date for roster bonuses???

Gawd, this sucks, asking a Bills fan a question...

:lol:

Boo hoo..

Football players sometimes get treated unfairly..

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD! :cry:

Originally posted by Da 'Fins

Finally, it would be unfair to Rodgers and would hurt the team's relationship with the players on the team. How would you feel if Rodgers were a buddy of yours (he's well liked by several players, including Zach) and you knew the team was going to release him, but held on to him and didn't give him as good a shot with another job? Even if you were not a friend, seeing the team treat him that way would not be good. That's one reason the Dolphins released Ray Lucas when they did. They would have released Rodgers already if not for the cap restrictions. If you want guys to play for you and respect the organization, you don't treat players like cattle, even though all of them realize it's a highly competitive business.

It's a business and decisions are made on that basis...

Players don't have loyalty, why should owners???

Owners/coaches have a responsibility to the team/fans to put the best product possible on the field...

Do you think we hurt Lamar Smith's feelings when we went after Ricky Williams???

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
There are a number of reasons we will release Rodgers relatively quickly. First is to clear space under the cap to sign Griese and the rookies. We do need to go after Griese relatively quickly for a number of reasons (so that we can avoid a bidding war in case another team gets involved; Griese needs to be here working on the offense; and he is one of only 3-4 marquis names that will be released - which may him a hotter commodity than normal).

Rodgers will not only afford us cap space (we'll clear about 750,000 upon his release, vs 250,000 in a trade), but teams know he's not going to be playing for us - Wanny has asked him to stay away from the camps and workouts.

I second that, great post bro, This just answered my question.

Back
Top Bottom