June 1st Question..... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

June 1st Question.....

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
Boo hoo..

Football players sometimes get treated unfairly..

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD! :cry:

Hopefully you're never in a supervisory position in life with this attitude; you're employees will hate you.

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
Finally, it would be unfair to Rodgers and would hurt the team's relationship with the players on the team. How would you feel if Rodgers were a buddy of yours (he's well liked by several players, including Zach) and you knew the team was going to release him, but held on to him and didn't give him as good a shot with another job? Even if you were not a friend, seeing the team treat him that way would not be good. That's one reason the Dolphins released Ray Lucas when they did. They would have released Rodgers already if not for the cap restrictions. If you want guys to play for you and respect the organization, you don't treat players like cattle, even though all of them realize it's a highly competitive business.

Bingo!

Originally posted by Expo88

Hopefully you're never in a supervisory position in life with this attitude; you're employees will hate you.

I'd rather be. Better to be the stepper then the stepped on. Your either one or the other in the north american economy.

It's actually June 2nd this year

Just a quick note on this June 1st discussion...since the league does not conduct business on the weekends (transactions, that is), the first date to actually cut players with the salarfy cap relief we're talking about will be Monday, June 2nd this year. So look for us to release Rodgers and sign Griese next Monday or early Tuesday. Nothing will happen on June 1st.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Trades are different.

All remaining bonus amortization accelerates into League Year of trade, thus June 1st only applies to players released NOT traded.

So if Miami wanted to trade Rodgers, they would get $250,000 in cap relief but he would also NOT count vs 2004 cap.

Rodgers might count against the cap but (hypothetically) if the Dolphins traded him to the Saints, part of the deal could be that the Saints eat all or most of that salarly cap hit on the 04 cap !!

As has been posted a number of times already,,, the Phins cannot trade Rodgers because every team that has an interest knows he will be released June 1st... A team woild have to be totally clueless to attempt a deal with Miami at this point .....:confused:

:lol: I am really surprised that the jill f-o hasn't made some inquires in trading for D Rodgers!!! :eek: :spit: :tongue2: Marino1983

Originally posted by Marino1983
Rodgers might count against the cap but (hypothetically) if the Dolphins traded him to the Saints, part of the deal could be that the Saints eat all or most of that salarly cap hit on the 04 cap !!

Salary cap liability can't be traded. I think your confusing what happened with the Seau trade. There he restructured his contract before the trade and then signed a new contract with us. We were able to contribute to a roster bonus he was due but it didn't directly transfer salary cap liability.

Rodgers isn't due a bonus so it's different.

One advantage that trading Rodgers has over releasing him (aside from the trade compensation) is that he would NOT count vs 2004 cap. If a team is stoopid enough to trade anything for Rodgers then I believe Fins should jump on it, although it leaves ya kinda thin depth wise

June 1st cuts are usually left to teams that need cap space to sign draft picks.

I believe that rookies count against the salary cap the day after the draft when the rookie pool is distributed, so I wouldn't say that would be a reason for June 1st cuts. All drafted rookies count vs the highest 53 paid players that contribute to a team's salary cap #. It's more so just so that a team doesn't have to eat a huge signing bonus in the current year if a player is cut(ie: Griese & Stokes).

Last edited by a moderator:
Drafted players do NOT count vs the actual cap because: 1) their salaries are usually not among the top 51 salaries (except 1st and some 2nd rd picks). 2) each draft choice presently counts $225,000 vs the rookie cap and the remainder of the rookie cap is available for the signing bonus amortization. 3) draft picks will count vs overall cap by the amount of this signing bonus amortization

Back
Top Bottom