Junior | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Junior

OG54

Starter
Reaction score
This was my only complaint on this guy and today it was noted in the report by Ozzy in which he stated,

" The Lb's are easy today, Zach made a couple of nice slice thru the line tackles today. One on RW's and the next series the same play on Travis Minor. And that new guy, number 55? Man I still want to know where they got this guy? They're letting him freelance the LOS, baiting the line into some mistakes, and setting up some blitzes. Number 55 is quite intimidating IMO and should make a huge difference for the defense."

That is a giant mistake. He will end up out of position like he did and San Diego and he will end up costing us big plays. Derrick rodgers might not have made all the big plays, but he played w/ in the defense. Freelancing is not playing w/ in the structure of the defense.

I wouldn't worry about this too much if I were you. Two things to consider here: 1) The defensive philosophy has shifted slightly to more freelancing. Seau and Knight are perfect examples of this type of player so it's evident that the coaching staff is going to be taking some more risks this year. 2) Seau is an incredible player who will make more plays than he misses. Even if he is out of position on a play or two, he'll make up for it on the next play by leveling the opposition. Again, I wouldn't worry if I were you.

See, that is what San Diego thought and look where it got them. When a player plays out of position, it forces another player to play out of position, which creates gaps or lanes for passes and runs, which in return resluts in big plays for the opponent. I by no means doubt his ability, but this is a team game w/ a team concept. Individual players do not do this alone, so it must all be played in the designed scheme. I understand that I am not a part of the coaching staff, but I am smart enough to realize that when the Dolphins played the Chargers last year, I was not concerned about Junior, b/c I knew that his style would lead to a serious pay day for Ricky. I also understand tha Junior was the best player on that D, and that might not be the case in Miami, but I do know that the team must play w/ in the scheme to be succesful! There are two responsibilities on this team. One to the team and the other to yourself. Everyone is accountable for their actions. I just hope Junior realizes that he is not at this alone anymore, like in san diego andrealizes that he needs to let the play funnel an d not get out of alignment

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Point OG54, they may play with it during TC and preseason and see how it works out for them, if it's a proplem, I'm sure they will correct it.

Originally posted by OG54
See, that is what San Diego thought and look where it got them. When a player plays out of position, it forces another player to play out of position, which creates gaps or lanes for passes and runs, which in return resluts in big plays for the opponent. I by no means doubt his ability, but this is a team game w/ a team concept. Individual players do not do this alone, so it must all be played in the designed scheme. I understand that I am not a part of the coaching staff, but I am smart enough to realize that when the Dolphins played the Chargers last year, I was not concerned about Junior, b/c I knew that his style would lead to a serious pay day for Ricky. I also understand tha Junior was the best player on that D, and that might not be the case in Miami, but I do know that the team must play w/ in the scheme to be succesful! There are two responsibilities on this team. One to the team and the other to yourself. Everyone is accountable for their actions. I just hope Junior realizes that he is not at this alone anymore, like in san diego andrealizes that he needs to let the play funnel an d not get out of alignment

There are gaps and lanes in ANY defense.
There is no perfect scheme.

To ignore the talents of a great player simply because your scared he might not make the plays negates the advantage of having a great player. That would be like saying lets not send J. Taylor on a full out rush because that might open up a running lane by being too aggressive. The Bears defense of 1985 had a ton of holes in its scheme if pressure was not consistent. Their personnel just rarely ever gave the opposing team a chance to take advantage of them. They went to the Super Bowl with aggressive defense and the players to pull the aggressive scheme off. I am one that thinks this D has the personell to become more aggressive and have even more success than they have had playing it "safe".

Great teams play to win and mediocre teams play not to lose IMO.
This D has a chance to be trully great this year if the staff lets them. I'm encouraged to hear they are mixing it up.

The Swarm could use a wild card...

The knock against the Miami defense is its predictability. When a player or two has an off day and can't outperform their opponant, then the defense has a habit of melting down.

Seau will give the offense something more to worry about and distract the OL and QB from attacking some other part of the defense. With Zach and Knight covering his back, any breakdown because of a Seau mistake will be quickly closed down...

My major worry in signing Seau was that Bates WOULDN'T let him use all of his abilities to get into the backfield and explode plays. These camp reports reassure me that Miami will let Junior be Junior...

This was my only complaint on this guy and today it was noted in the report by Ozzy in which he stated,

" The Lb's are easy today, Zach made a couple of nice slice thru the line tackles today. One on RW's and the next series the same play on Travis Minor. And that new guy, number 55? Man I still want to know where they got this guy? They're letting him freelance the LOS, baiting the line into some mistakes, and setting up some blitzes. Number 55 is quite intimidating IMO and should make a huge difference for the defense."

That is a giant mistake. He will end up out of position like he did and San Diego and he will end up costing us big plays. Derrick rodgers might not have made all the big plays, but he played w/ in the defense. Freelancing is not playing w/ in the structure of the defense.

Who's to really say if he was free lancing or not? Perhaps the Defense in question had some type of a fake stunt call? Or perhaps he was in on a Stunt.

Keep in mind the guys brininging the news of the day are just doing the best they can to enlighten us as to what they saw out there today! Just a thought.

There is a difference btw freelancing and reading the play. If Seau is up at the line guessing then that will create holes whenever he guesses wrong. If, however, he reads the play then he should attempt to disrupt it. This D allows for aggressive reads. DR didn't make enough plays b/c his reads weren't aggressive enough. Seau may be too aggressive and you may be exactly right (OG54) this remains to be seen. But just the fact that he is being aggressive does not mean he is playing outside of the defensive scheme.

Originally posted by rafael
There is a difference btw freelancing and reading the play. If Seau is up at the line guessing then that will create holes whenever he guesses wrong. If, however, he reads the play then he should attempt to disrupt it. This D allows for aggressive reads. DR didn't make enough plays b/c his reads weren't aggressive enough. Seau may be too aggressive and you may be exactly right (OG54) this remains to be seen. But just the fact that he is being aggressive does not mean he is playing outside of the defensive scheme.
Good point! rafael :up:

Sure it is, when Jr. blitzes JT drops back some of the time, so there is no sure way to defend that, except of course executing a play.

I'm not sure about how much this will be used but one thing is for sure, most of the time Jr just moves back into his spot.

And maybe I made one mistake here, so let me rephrase it. Jr is sliding along the line between the DE on his side and the DT's, not all the way across. Sorry

Back
Top Bottom