Just A Thought About Tanking | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just A Thought About Tanking

I get your point, but Luck isn't "elite" even considering potential. Someone else has mentioned not getting "THE" best prospect isn't a killer. Not getting a top 10 QB IS. I'm not in favor of trading my first born for an APPARENT can't miss.

Would take Luck in a heart beat man. He is a FRANCHISE QB 100000%%%%%%

I get your point, but Luck isn't "elite" even considering potential. Someone else has mentioned not getting "THE" best prospect isn't a killer. Not getting a top 10 QB IS. I'm not in favor of trading my first born for an APPARENT can't miss.

Regardless of whether you consider Luck elite, the point is that I'm not drafting a QB this year unless you think he's close to Luck's level as a prospect coming into the draft. And by that I mean it's how our coaching staff ultimately feels about the player, not necessarily what every draft guru says. I very much doubt the FO feels that way about anyone in the draft, including Murray, which is why I don't think we're taking a quarterback.

And Luck took a horrendously coached team with a so-so roster construction to the conference finals and I believe made the playoffs in his first year when his team was the worst team in the league the year before. So if the Dolphins ended up with a QB like that we should all be ecstatic.

But winning 2 games instead of 5 is not trading your first born. That's what the entire argument is. We're ALREADY going to be bad, so why not just go all the way?

I've still never heard a single person talk about how much fun they had during the 2011 season when Matt Moore came in and eventually won 6 meaningless games after we were already 0-7. Not a single one. NOBODY talks about that season, but hooray, those wins got us Tannehill instead of Luck and ruined the next 7 years of our franchise. While Luck may not be Tom Brady, he's good enough to have not worried about QB since 2011.

Very good. You confused me with "Luck" and "elite" in the same sentence. I'll agree, Luck would be an improvement and eliminate the need to try for an elite QB.

My reference to "first born" was those you argue 'do whatever it takes' to get a possible elite QB (although they tend to leave out "Possible"

One argument you omit is Miami MAY NOT BE "bad." That's an unknown. I don't think they'll be GOOD, but I've stated elsewhere 2-7 wins wouldn't surprise me. Note the "7"

Is winning always a good thing?

Let's go back to the 1997 Colts and give them 2 extra wins for the season. That puts them at 5-11 and gives them the 6th or 7th pick in the draft. That changes their entire future since they no longer have Peyton Manning. Everything he has meant to that franchise and everything he has brought them a Super Bowl Win, Division titles, the 2nd best win% from 1998-2010 all gone because of 2 more wins. I would say in the case winning 2 more games would not have been a good thing.
Trade up. Get your guy, Ricky Williams style.

Regardless of whether you consider Luck elite, the point is that I'm not drafting a QB this year unless you think he's close to Luck's level as a prospect coming into the draft. And by that I mean it's how our coaching staff ultimately feels about the player, not necessarily what every draft guru says. I very much doubt the FO feels that way about anyone in the draft, including Murray, which is why I don't think we're taking a quarterback.

And Luck took a horrendously coached team with a so-so roster construction to the conference finals and I believe made the playoffs in his first year when his team was the worst team in the league the year before. So if the Dolphins ended up with a QB like that we should all be ecstatic.

My focus wasn't on Luck as much as . .
Implying Luck is elite and . .
Those saying 'keep trying until they get an ELITE QB.' Not 'good.' Not top 10. Elite

Luck isn’t elite? Interesting analysis.

Luck isn’t elite? Interesting analysis.

An analysis based on a few years of watching him. Just opinion, but I think more see him as not elite than elite.

In any case, Luck isn't available, and a QB this year will mean no tank

tenor.png

I'm not trading that! You couldn't pry that particular victory from my grubby dick beaters with 30 lbs of TNT and a blowtorch.

Get the hell outta here with that meaningless bullshit talk!
sorry, just now seeing this
1) we are in position hoping certain players fall to us because of, yes meaningless wins
2) your name has always annoyed me. makes me uncomfortable tbh

As the teams roster currently stands, and with a schedule that looks pretty daunting, Miami has a good chance at a top five pick. I don't think tanking is in Brian Flores, or any coaches vocabulary. They want to get off to a good start obviously. Coaches know that their window is small if losses keep piling up. I do think Ross will be somewhat patient with a rebuild, but time will tell.

To the quarterback question, that's where Miami has to get it right. Whether it's Lock this year or Tua/Herbert/Fromm/Love in 2020 the Dolphins have to make the right decision. The organization has had a chance to draft many of the top quarterbacks in the NFL including Brady, Brees, Rogers, Ryan etc. That failure is the reason Miami has struggled for two decades. Think of how things could have gone if the Dolphins had drafted one of those players.

Bottom line, though, I think building the offensive line has to be a huge priority for any quarterback to have success here. The unit is currently the worst in the NFL.

So....How do management write contracts with incentives? no one is going to want to come here if they can't get their value, just mentioning the 2020 draft which guarantee nothing, if the fins somehow win 10 games then they are operating from a good foundation to build on and they still can get their Unproven QB from the draft.

My take is simple.

"Meaningful" games are relative to consequences.

And of course as fans, we're interested in POSITIVE consequences!

Winning early and often, when the season starts, gives you the potential
to play meaningful games down the stretch. Limping along around 500
or less and getting BLOWN OUT in potential "statement games" means
you're going to be playing in a number of meaningless games.

If any franchise has had a corner on the "meaningless market" over the past
umpteen years it's been Miami. IMO the "satisfaction" of winning meaningless
games is empty and short lived. And there's no way to ignore the fact such "wins"
result in NEGATIVE consequences in terms of talent acquisition via draft.

Bottom line -- I'm pretty sure the majority of the Dolphins fan base is sick and
tired of playing "meaningless games" -- and swallowing the bitter pill of picking
up a few "meaningless wins."

I get your point, but I suspect every year every QB taken in the 1st 3 picks is thought to be "close to Luck's level as a prospect." We know how that has worked out. I don't know your opinion, but if Miami were to "draft a QB" thought to be "close to Luck's level as a prospect," how many here would accept that choice? I can assure you, there would be many posts claiming Miami picked the wrong guy and NOT be satisfied with "how our coaching staff ultimately feels about the player." That's the nature of fandom. I kinda agree with you on this year's QB prospects, but I wouldn't be surprised with a day 2 QB. You know, let him sit behind RF for a year and let him watch.

not looking for an argument or to troll but just wondering ;
it seems like year after year we are just picks away from landing a possible franchise QB. In my strong opinion the reason we have been irrelevant for the majority of the last two decades is because we have neglected the QB position. So what I'm getting at is, with Drew Lock (looks like the best prospect after Kyler Murray) and Haskins most likely gone before we pick. Do the anti tank fans think it was worth it to win meaningless games last year (Miami Miracle Etc) only to end up costing us a chance to land a player who can once and for all turn this around?

No. That game was special.

I'll give you the Titans, Raiders, and Bears though. Dont really care about those.

Division wins, I'll keep those, thanks!

The year before that we won meaningless games that took us out of getting the top tier QBs in the draft.

The year before that we won meaningless games that took us out of getting the top tier QBs in the draft.

You know, when I think of "meaningless games," I think of 1-2 games. You seem to be saying, unless Miami's in the conference game, all wins are "meaningless." Never mind, a number of teams don't know games are "meaningless" until the 1st December game or later, when only 1-2 games can be deemed "meaningless." And, of course, if that is a clever idea, every NFL team not likely to get to the conference championship or already with an 'elite' QB would use the same strategy.

Back
Top Bottom