Kellen Moore number one college player | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kellen Moore number one college player

idaho

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Future Dolphins qb Kellen Moore number one college football player according to Sporting News. Works for this Boise State Homer.

Kellen Moore was named the top player in College Football on Monday by Sporting News when the publication released its annual Spring 25 list.
The senior quarterback beat out fellow Heisman trophy finalists Andrew Luck, of Stanford, and LaMichael James, of Oregon, who were second and third, respectively.
Boise State defensive tackle Billy Winn also made an appearance on the list, coming in at No. 15.
The publication puts Moore, who is 38-2 as a starter, on the top of its list based on career records the senior could break this year. He’s seven wins shy of Colt McCoy’s record of 45; his 99 touchdown passes are 35 shy of Graham Harrell’s; and with a passing efficiency of 166.7, he is within range of breaking Sam Bradford’s record of 175.6.
In addition to Moore and Luck, four other quarterbacks made the list. Oklahoma’s Landry Jones (No. 12), Michigan’s Denard Robinson (No. 16), Baylor’s Robert Griffin (No. 19) and USC’s Matt Barkley (No. 22) all made apperances

You are right the qb standards in Miami are way to high. Maybe there is some castaway used up never was qb we could trade for.

Kellen is a college QB playing in a college system.

Kid is a GREAT college QB but I don't want a guy that has to change his entire game to adapt to the NFL.

Disagree about the system qb comment. He is however slight of build. That would concern me although I hear he has hit the weights pretty hard this off season. I think you can find something wrong with every qb option if you look hard enough. Truth is qbs that can play in the nfl are hard to find. Everyone got spoiled in the eighties and early nineties with Marino Elway Montana ecterra. The overall Qb play since then has fallen off dramatically since then imo. Time to think outside the box in stead of thinking a Marino is going to fall into our laps. I mean if Marino was on the board right now with the info available when we drafted him most of this board would be afriad of him. He had a down senior year and some speculated that he was not that smart. Point is time to draft 2 qbs a year until we are over flowing with them. Instead we grabb one qb every 3-4 years and wonder why we have such poor play at that position. Time to take some risks at that position.

Kellen is definitely a system QB. Moreso than any other QB in all of college football probably.

Boise State has very few NFL players on their team. So to even be capable of beating a team like Virginia Tech, you have to scheme and plan well. And Chris Peterson is a guy who can scheme very very well. It's his system that works in college football. And I think we all agree that Peterson's "system" wouldn't work in the NFL, correct? So why are we so convinced that his QB will?

Boise State will seriously go a full month without facing a team with a single NFL player on their defense. Why wouldn't we be skeptical? Guys like Mallet and Newton—even though I'm not a fan of either—face several NFL caliber players on the defensive side of the ball each and every week.

Kellen is definitely a system QB. Moreso than any other QB in all of college football probably.

Boise State has very few NFL players on their team. So to even be capable of beating a team like Virginia Tech, you have to scheme and plan well. And Chris Peterson is a guy who can scheme very very well. It's his system that works in college football. And I think we all agree that Peterson's "system" wouldn't work in the NFL, correct? So why are we so convinced that his QB will?

Boise State will seriously go a full month without facing a team with a single NFL player on their defense. Why wouldn't we be skeptical? Guys like Mallet and Newton—even though I'm not a fan of either—face several NFL caliber players on the defensive side of the ball each and every week.
Come on man. Why do you have to say some nonsense like that?

Texas showcased their new "Boise-style" offense last week in their spring game. Their glaring weakness? Quarterback.

Kellen Moore is not a system quarterback. He is highly intelligent and makes the right decisions. He checks down and picks the right receiver. The only, and I mean ONLY glaring weakness in his prospect repertoire is his "measurables". Which, to me, is hocus-pocus nonsense. If your QB is 6'5" and has a rocket arm, he's a surefire bet in the NFL, like JeMarcus Russel, Tim Tebow, and (this year) Jake Locker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two Boise State fans who disagree with me.

Didn't see that coming lol.

You nailed it though. Kellen Moore IS intelligent and he DOES makes smart decisions with the football. These are the two primary qualities that you need in a QB if the talent around your QB is far inferior to the talent of the QB. The coach needs to be able to scheme well and Peterson does. So now he can take a highly intelligent QB and do a lot with average athletes at the skill positions. That's the system that Boise State runs. If someone is capable of shutting down the Boise State system in a game, the Broncos aren't athletically gifted or physically gifted enough to overcome it.

This is why Boise State is HELL to play in their one big game of the year. They're fully rested, 100% healthy, and they scheme well. So they're capable of beating a Virginia Tech team that isn't that great. But week after week after week, the physical beating that the Broncos take from the bigger athletes would take a serious toll on them. And that's why a playoff system in college football is actually bad for the Broncos I think. They're better off running the table and then hoping they get in with some help. With a month to prepare, they'd have a shot. But having to play two consecutive weeks against physically impressive teams would just be brutal on those kids.

Being intelligent and smart with the football are talents you want with a QB no matter what the talent is around him. Come on now, be serious.

One big game of the year? Your ACC champion went down to BSU in 2010 (didn't VT beat Miami? Why couldn't they scheme against them with their oh-so awesome personnel?). The Mountain West Champ and Pac 10 Champ went down to BSU in 2009.

All Boise State wants is the opportunity to play "week in and week out".

Yes I'm a fan. You talking the trash draws me in. One big game a year... talk to the Big East frauds about that nonsense. Better yet, look at your own conference's problems with getting it done on the big stage.

Check this out (Bowl season 2010):

Air Force 14 Georgia Tech 7
Notre Dame 33 Miami 17
Stanford 40 Virginia Tech 12
Nevada 20 Boston College 13

Two of those schools who beat up on your ACC (week in and week out) teams are or will be Boise State's conference mate (both will be in 2012).
These bowl-eligible teams are the cream of the crop from the ACC in 2010...

Keep talking trash, though.

Dude...it's the ACC. Come on. The ACC is as weak as any conference in the country. You can't gloat about teams beating Georgia Tech, Boston College and certainly not Miami.

Seriously.

None of these ACC teams are ELITE programs in college football.

But you seen how Boise State began to wear down physically against Virginia Tech late in that game and almost blew it. Had they had to play ANOTHER physical team the very next week, they would have been bulldozed.

I'm a Miami fan. But I'm not a homer. I tell the truth about my program and it's AWFUL. Everyone thought we would beat Notre Dame. But I woke up on New Year's Eve in El Paso, Texas and knew exactly how cold it was and I texted and called everyone back home and said that we were about to get boatraced.

It's ok to be a fan but be a realistic one.

The 'Canes suck. The Dolphins suck. Both have MAJOR problems at QB. We're both doomed this season. It's reality. I've accepted it and I'll be less stressed and less disappointed when it happens and overjoyed if I'm wrong.

I think the truth lies just about square in the middle here. Boise fans STILL don't understand the one game season angle that people have been trying to point out to them. Boise can play with a lot of BCS teams in a one game scenario, that's no secret. Beating the ACC Champ, or MWC Champ, or PAC-10 Champ in a one game scenario every other season doesn't prove you belong with the big boys or deserve a shot to play for the title just because you blow out a bunch of cupcakes by 40 points for the rest of the season...

Hell, if all Ole Miss had to do was play Virginia Tech or Oregon once a season, and then go back to playing Idaho's, Utah St's, and San Jose St.'s every week, they'd be going 11-1 or undefeated every year..

The point is, it'd be a lot different if Boise had to play North Carolina the next week after they played VT... and then had to play Georgia Tech a week after that... then comes Florida St.... then Clemson, etc..

I guarantee Boise fans would have a different perspective on just what it means to play in a BCS conference. The grind on the kids and coaches every week is on a completely different level.

On the other hand, Boise has plenty of NFL talent. There's not many schools in any conference that can trot out two starting WR's the caliber of Austin Pettis and Titus Young, followed by Tyler Shoemaker, who's a legitimate NFL prospect heading into this year.

Doug Martin is one of my favorite RB prospects for the 2012 draft. He has a lot more in common with Mark Ingram than just wearing the same jersey number. They're both short, squatty, deceptively powerful and fast backs with similar running styles. In fact, Boise's coaches came down to Tuscaloosa in February to study the Crimson Tide and how we use our running backs. Brent Pease is good friends with Saban, they were together with the Houston Oilers back in the 80's... Boise is going to use Martin a lot like Bama used Ingram. I think he's in for a big season, and his draft stock is going to soar upward all season.

However, what Boise doesn't have is the depth to compete in slobberknockers week in and week out in BCS conferences. Even the top teams in the SEC with NFL caliber talent and depth going 3 deep get worn down after knocking heads and beating up on each other for 12 weeks.

The bonus is, even if you make it through all that and come out on top... your prize is you get to knock heads again with the best SEC team from the OTHER division in the conference title game. Something neither the PAC-10 Champ, or MWC Champ knows anything about either...

Imagine if TCU had to play Ohio State, Iowa, Penn St., etc. in back-to-back-to-back weeks after getting pounded by Wisconsin for 60 minutes in the Rose Bowl, even though the Horned Frogs scraped by and came out on top...

You have to prove yourself EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK.

Teams like Ole Miss and Alabama are scheduling the cupcakes like Fresno St. and San Jose St. from Boise's conference just to take a breather... and still beating them by 40 points with backups and 3rd stringers.

As for Kellen Moore, he's a great college quarterback, but he'd be fortunate for his slight frame to even see the 4th quarter against a defense like Alabama's... he can ask Colt McCoy, or Tyrod Taylor, or Kirk Cousins, or Jordan Jefferson, etc., etc.. much less do it in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom