Kenechi Udeze...torn labrum? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kenechi Udeze...torn labrum?

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this was brought up. Its from Pro Football Talk, so cover your ears and eyes if you're one of those who wants to boycott PFT :rolleyes:. They hear that Udeze has a torn labrum and could drop like a stone through the first round.

If he falls to a certain point honestly I'm shipping Ogun off and picking up Udeze to replace him in the long run.

UDEZE POISED TO PLUMMET?

There are growing whispers in league circles that USC defensive end Kenechi Udeze could do the draft day free fall, due to reports that he has a torn labrum that could render him unavailable for the entire 2004 season.

Udeze, a 275-pounder whose 4.7 in the 40 vaulted him upward on many draft boards. We'll be chatting with our sources on Tuesday regarding the effect that the shoulder injury might have on his standing, but it's possible that Udeze will fall through round one.

Word is that the Texans were thinking seriously about taking Udeze at the No. 10 spot. As it currently stands, Houston -- and possibly many other teams -- will take a pass instead.

Stay tuned.

It's a rumour that Len Pasqarelli floated last night. 99% of the teams he talked to said they saw no evidence of it, but one did. I think it's just one of those pre-draft rumours - they happen EVERY year.

If it looks like Wally won't sign and theat we won't have him after next year.

I agree, with CK and would package Wally for picks this year, a high second and third (jacksonville), and take Udeze at 20.

Wally may not play for us this year so if this guys miraculously falls to #20 and Andrews is gone....

I can't wait for the draft so I won't have to hear anymore about us trading Ogun for a couple of picks.

Ozzy rules!!

Danny said:
I can't wait for the draft so I won't have to hear anymore about us trading Ogun for a couple of picks.

Ozzy rules!!
You never know, he may actually get traded on draft day.

I agree, with CK and would package Wally for picks this year, a high second and third (jacksonville), and take Udeze at 20.

I've been saying Jacksonville the WHOLE time.....

I must be a jeanous.

A torn labrum is not an injury that will throw up red flags and cause a player to drop. You can very easily play with a torn labrum while wearing a shoulder harness if there is a subluxation problem with the shoulder.

I've heard nothing about any subluxation with Kenchi's shoulder. If he has a torn labrum, it's probably nothing more than a SLAP tear.

ckparrothead said:
If he falls to a certain point honestly I'm shipping Ogun off and picking up Udeze to replace him in the long run.

Hehh... you've been for shipping Ogun off for a swap with Chicago for a month now. Nothing new there except it sounds like your asking price got a little higher. :D

KBISBACK said:
A torn labrum is not an injury that will throw up red flags and cause a player to drop. You can very easily play with a torn labrum while wearing a shoulder harness if there is a subluxation problem with the shoulder.

I've heard nothing about any subluxation with Kenchi's shoulder. If he has a torn labrum, it's probably nothing more than a SLAP tear.

Well if its just a SLAP tear, no big deal then.

My asking price until very recently was moving from #20 to #14, then getting their 2nd rounder on top of it. Recently I said that if we have no plans in place to sign Ogunleye longterm we might as well ship him for a 2nd and Gibson because we'll only get him for a year's worth of service.

But we dont know that they have no plans in place to get him under contract long term. I did raise the possibility that the reason they didn't want to begin negotiations during the RFA period was because they didn't want Drew to have any leverage by way of contract negotiations with another team. Its possible Spielman decided to wait until now to begin negotiations, and really put the screws to Drew.

Gotta agree with parrothead. If Udeze somehow drops to 20 (which I don't think he will), I would definitely take him and pull the trigger on an Ogun deal. I think if Udeze started falling, Rick might start making calls around, in the event that he fell to us.

Why take a rookie defensive end over a needed offensive player when you already have a Pro Bowl defensive end that just needs a long term contract that you could have given him a year ago at a much lower price?

that you could have given him a year ago at a much lower price?

That doesn't exactly help our situation now. Can't cry over spilled milk because the fact that we could have given him a much cheaper long term contract a year ago doesn't factor into what we should do from here on out. From here on out he's demanding an exorbitent price, one that the coaches do not believe he is worth.

The reason you take the action which you've openly questioned, is because Kenechi Udeze gives you an Ogunleye caliber player for years to come (4 years to be exact)...at a relatively cheap price. Having Ogunleye play for the one year tender gives you an Ogunleye caliber player for one year then he's gone. Signing Ogunleye long term gives you an Ogunleye caliber player for about 4 more years, at an exorbitent price that keeps you from dishing money out to other areas of need.

Factor them together, and drafting Udeze, if he truly needs an operation now rather than later, plus keeping Ogunleye for the one year tender, gives us a cheap alternative to signing Ogunleye for the next 4 years. If Udeze does need the surgery now, and we trade Ogunleye for a 2nd rounder plus Gibson, we sacrifice at the DE position in 2004...but get back to where we are in 2005 and beyond.

So I guess Udeze or no Udeze, the trading Ogunleye issue can still be treated separately because it comes down to what you think it is worth to have an Adewale Ogunleye at LDE for one year. Is it worth a 2nd round pick plus Gibson? Is it worth more than that? Less?

Back
Top Bottom