Keys To The Game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Keys To The Game

breckenridge55

K-STATE PHIN
Reaction score
Miami's Keys to Victory Tonight:

1. Jump on top early
The Phins can't afford to fall behind by more than a touchdown all night. The idea of Ricky wearing the defense down isn't like it is down here where it is 90 degrees and humid. It isn't going to be easy to wear them down, and if we go behind, we will be forced to throw. Obviously, as we experienced two weeks ago against Buffalo, Lucas can't be forced to throw. If GB knows what we are doing, we are dead from the beginning

2. Get Ricky the ball at least 30-35 times tonight
Rushes or receptions, the best player on our team needs to touch the ball at least 30-35 times. The GB defense will have problems stopping him. But as I said in point 1, we can't get him the ball 30-35 times if we are losing and have to throw the ball.

3. Stuff Ahman Green
We can't keep Brett Favre and Co. on the field for very long. We need to dominate the time of possession factor in this game to have a chance. If Ahman gets going, it will be tough to get the ball back. Stop him early and make Favre throw. Favre may be good, hell, he's great, but our pass defense can and will make plays whereas our run defense has trouble from time to time, especially on the road.

4. Win the battle on EVERY special team
Mare needs to be hot, Dedric Ward and Minor need good returns, and the coverage units need to dominate and/or create a turnover. Special teams will be very important to us since we may have trouble moving the ball. An extra 5 yards could mean the difference between 7 and 3, or 3 and 0.

5. Stay calm, cool, and collected, no matter what
If we go down 24-3, we need to calm down, relax, and slowly get ourselves back into the game. We can't go out there and force throws every down or else the interceptions will come, and it will only get worse. Run some delayed handoffs, some play-actions, maybe a deep pass here and there, and get back into it. We also most stay disciplined and not get those false start penalties on 3rd and short or get defensive holding called on 3rd and 14.

6. Put a good pass rush on Favre
Force him to throw early. We know he will try to stay in the pocket instead of scramble, so make him get rid of the ball a second earlier than he wants. That could mean the difference between TD for them, or INT for us.

7. Finally, the defense needs to make plays
I doubt we will get much offensive production tonight. We need turnovers tonight, and we need a lot of them. The defense needs to put up some points tonight, or put us close enough that we can put up points. Our defense tends to struggle on the road, it must be on tonight.

Originally posted by breckenridge55
Miami's Keys to Victory Tonight:

1. Jump on top early
The Phins can't afford to fall behind by more than a touchdown all night. The idea of Ricky wearing the defense down isn't like it is down here where it is 90 degrees and humid. It isn't going to be easy to wear them down, and if we go behind, we will be forced to throw. Obviously, as we experienced two weeks ago against Buffalo, Lucas can't be forced to throw. If GB knows what we are doing, we are dead from the beginning
especially that - even in last week's debacle - Lucas looked solid on the opening possession. Give Ray some easy completions to Konrad and Ricky early to get him going and throw off the 8-9 man fronts

You know what Leftcoast, I never thought of that. What a GENIOUS point you make! I've never read of such a brilliant post in my life! Amazing!

HaHa, I was just having fun with you. You made some excellent points which I agree with. I just think we all, including myself, have a tendency to over analyze things so I just felt like being a smart ass. Good points though.

I'd add 1 key:
Favre's health....He wont be 100 % and if Miami can get some heat on him...He could struggle a bit...I'D never bet against brett Favre but even Superman could have problems in the cold with a banged up knee...So lets hope Brett's knee swells up because no dolfan wants to see Brett close to 100 % going up against Ray Charles...

:band:

I think the only key to the game is Ray Lucas not losing the game singlehanedly. I can take a defeat to a good team on the road, but I can't watch 1 player blow the game for us. Let Ray play at least as well as Jay and let the best team win.

I also agree that we will win the game if we score more points than Green Bay.

Now to do that, Ray Lucas should take a page out of the book of Fiedler and just take what you can get, and get the first down before the touchdown.

Randy Mcmicheal is the hidden key. If he has a big night we win. Get ready for the Mcmicheal shimmie tonight

Back
Top Bottom