Keys to Victory for Dolphins through Week 4

Carne Asada

there be no distractions for our team
Club Member
Reaction score
Week 1 vs Patriots

Keys to victory

Offense

The Patriots defense is not that great anymore. Just play mistake free. Run the ball. Throw off PA. Don't get into obvious passing situations. Score and get ahead early. We shouldn't even have to give up too much of our playbook for opponents to game plan. A good outing from Waddle, Gesicki and a revenge game from Sony should suffice. Keep Tyreek a bit under wraps. Run up the score all you can, you don't want a close ending.

Defense

Stop the run. Make them one dimensional. Choke them. Make Mac and their WRs beat you deep. Don't get too cute.

Week 2 @ Baltimore

Keys to victory

Offense

This is the game to unveil Tyreek, Edmonds, Mostert, the stretch, and the short passing game. The Ravens have a formidable secondary, an aggressive pass rush and a physical front seven but we can beat them with our speed and scheme. Things can get pretty out of hand if you start the season with a losing streak with a "player's coach" whose often positive and relaxed. You really want to prove all that confidence and all the talk were warranted otherwise you might lose the team. This is the game to go all out and make some noise. Give Tyreek some 20 targets/touches and maybe even a few returns. After putting up a lecture on stretch runs, short passing, screens, sweeps and trickery set yourself apart with a few deep shots to Tyreek when they least expect it.

Defense

Baker and Tindall better mark this on their calendars. I really like how our front seven is very disciplined and always executes exactly what was called. Besides stopping their running game, Mark Andrews makes this the game where you play Rowe instead of Jones. No need to blitz too much or play confusing coverages, just play everyone 1o1, keep good gap discipline and keep two spies on Lamar at all times possible.

Week 3 vs Bills

Keys to victory

Offense

This is what Tyreek was brought here for. He's the knight or the sword that shall slay the dragon. They've proven vulnerable to this one player. The Patriots did beat them with nothing but power running last season so you may want to trot some Alec Ingold out there instead. Throw deep to Tyreek a couple of times early on and then just run them over with power instead.

Defense

It's kind of a nice rehearsal to play the Ravens right before the Bills since they're similar teams. If we can make Allen uncomfortable in the pocket and stop him in his tracks when he tries to run for it and force him to throw we'll have a fighting chance. Just take the QB run away.

Week 4 @ Bengals

Keys to victory

Offense

Gesicki is their kryptonite. In general they suck against intermediate passing, specially between the hashes. It's also a good game to throw it to Wilson a lot. I think this is when we let Tua get in his big boy pants and let him kill the Bengals with precision passing.

Defense

We actually match up to the Bengals very well. They got two really good tall deep threats, we got a great pair of physical corners and the "Flying Dutchman" Holland at FS. They got Burrow, we got our pass rush. Just stop Joe Mixon. The good thing about Mixon is that his pass blocking is poor. When he's in, he's either a pretty big tell or a pretty large liability.

Last edited:
Good thoughts there Carne. If all would be that easy.... but I am sure the other teams have AVID fans drawing up their keys to victory as well.

I think the biggest key to the season will be in thumping the Pats week one. I do not remember so much media hype around the Fins in an offseason before and if the players can believe after week 1 then the confidence will take them far.

I expect a lot of hiccups in the offense Week 1.

The thing is...I don't think the Patriots are very good. I know that "they're the Patriots," but if they think they're going to get by with what they have in their secondary, they're arrogantly delusional.

Malcolm Butler starting at one corner, after being retired for 2021....and Jalen Mills at the other? I know they've still got Devin McCourty, but he's no spring chicken...and their backups at pretty much every coverage position are either career journeymen who aren't very good or rookies.

Letting JC jackson walk was just stupid and arrogant, and I suspect it's gonna bite them in the ass.

Good post… But you lost me v. Ravens after we eviscerated them last year, with Hollywood Brown as a deep threat.

Until Lamar can show he can make two plays (not one) in a game against OUR Cover-0 — you throw that at him 50% of the game and fake that look the other 50% of the game. If he made a deal at the crossroads over the off-season, you ease up but keep a spy instead of a head-tearer-offer.

It’s imperative we beat the Patriots at home game 1 with two tough road games and a Bills matchup at home coming right after.

That said I am really hoping we can change our form from prior years and start somewhat fast. Ravens are beatable as we well know. Bengals although a super bowl team last year certainly are too. Bills at home in September, time to make them pay in a big way in the S Florida heat like we do typically in December up there which we will have to deal with again.

Not predicting anything but really hoping our floor is 2-2 with a chance to surprise. Imagine the momentum this team could have into the softer part of the schedule if we can actually start fast for a change.

As far as the Cheatriots are concerned, We already know BB likes to identify and isolate an opposing offense’s biggest threat. The problem our offense poses in week 1 of the season is…who is that? You can’t isolate Hill, Waddle and Gesicki. So my guess is he’ll be trying to cut it off at the source and going after Tua. Which means our answer is getting Waddle and Hill involved in the run game while also running effectively with our backs. It also means efficiency in the short passing game and, should we do both of those things effectively, making them pay with the PA. So yeah, I definitely agree with the OP here. Though I don’t think you can really keep Hill “under wraps” as an element of surprise for week 2 or beyond. He’s been in the league for years playing at a high level. Every DC already knows to watch out for him and how he’s used the week before isn’t going to change that.

Thanks for the post,

Not gonna lie, on paper those games look very hard.
I think we can take care of the Pats and hopefully win another 2 games to start 3 and 1.

Just an awful start to the season with all four of those teams to play. But I guess to be great you have to beat great teams.

Back
Top Bottom