Kickers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kickers

eMCee85

Club Member
Reaction score
Sanders FG% was 81.2 with 26 FG made. He was 5/6 from 20 to 29 yards, 7/7 from 30 to 39 yards, 12/13 from 40 to 49 yards and 2/6 from 50 to 59 yards. As you can see, his struggles were from 50 plus. No secret. That ranks him 28th from 50+. Every where else he was solid. A lot of us were shitting on him pretty badly but looking at the numbers, he actually performed pretty well.

So for Morstead, his net avg was 40.6 with a long of 66. 28 punts inside the 20 with only 3 out of bounds. He was ranked 22nd with an average of 46.4. Both of our kickers were pretty damn good, why would we get rid of Morestead?

Morestead may not have wanted to resign - don’t know what happened. I like him

Sanders was bad for a stretch then finished strong. At one point he was down at the bottom of the league w 72% accuracy on FGs - same as all of 2021. In 2021 he struggled on 50* as well. But he nailed the 50 this year that put us in the playoffs

Sanders FG% was 81.2 with 26 FG made. He was 5/6 from 20 to 29 yards, 7/7 from 30 to 39 yards, 12/13 from 40 to 49 yards and 2/6 from 50 to 59 yards. As you can see, his struggles were from 50 plus. No secret. That ranks him 28th from 50+. Every where else he was solid. A lot of us were shitting on him pretty badly but looking at the numbers, he actually performed pretty well.

So for Morstead, his net avg was 40.6 with a long of 66. 28 punts inside the 20 with only 3 out of bounds. He was ranked 22nd with an average of 46.4. Both of our kickers were pretty damn good, why would we get rid of Morestead?
Sanders came on at the end of the season. As for Morestead it was money , age, low net avg. and the new kicker wants very badly to jam his right foot firmly up Belishit's tail pipe. Good enough for me, hopefully he's doing way more holding for extra points than punting anyway.

kick in nuts GIF

Ouch!!! 🥰🥰🥰

Being able to make field goals from distance is important. It helps you be able to make decisions on what playcalls to make, where you need to get on the field with how much time you have to do it in.

Jason Sanders was one of the worst in the league from 50 yards+. He was 2 of 6 in 2022 and also was 2 of 6 in 2021. He did hit 8 of 9 in 2020 but he doesn't seem to be the same kicker anymore. His 2 FGMs from 50+ last year ties him for 23rd amongst kickers (Most made was Daniel Carlson with 11 and then Justin Tucker BAL, Chase McLaughlin IND and Brett Maher DAL tied with 9).

And most every other kicker in the league hit from distance more often than they missed. Only 7 kickers had an accuracy rate <=50% from 50+ yards out last year:

Randy Bullock TEN 1-2 50%
Greg Joseph MIN 4-10 40%
Jason Sanders MIA 2-6 33%
Harrison Butker KAN 2-7 29%
Ryan Succop TAM 2-7 29%
Mason Crosby GNB 1-4 25%
Cameron Dicker LAC 0-1 0%

I'd like to see an upgrade, but not sure how much capital the Dolphins have to put into it.

Hopefully Sanders can keep kicking like he did late in the year. I feel with kickers it has to be such a mental struggle and maybe that late kick gets him on track. I liked Morestead but felt many other teams we played had kickers that belted that ball much further, so not entirely sad to see him go.

And most every other kicker in the league hit from distance more often than they missed. Only 7 kickers had an accuracy rate <=50% from 50+ yards out last year:

Greg Joseph MIN 4-10 40%
Ryan Succop TAM 2-7 29%
Mason Crosby GNB 1-4 25%

I'd like to see an upgrade, but not sure how much capital the Dolphins have to put into it.
Yes, from 50+ he was ranked 28th with two makes. That was/is his only struggle. Everywhere else he was pretty much money.

So really unless we actually need the points to win or tie or something from 50 plus we are a four down team. Easy peasy

Overall, Morstead was just below average. I’ve read an issue was his below standard hang-time which contributed to some of the coverage issues. His Fair Catch rate of 24.5% may support the point.

It likely wasn’t about money. In Miami he made $1.12MM; with Jets he’s set to earn $1.16MM

Sanders came on at the end of the season. As for Morestead it was money , age, low net avg. and the new kicker wants very badly to jam his right foot firmly up Belishit's tail pipe. Good enough for me, hopefully he's doing way more holding for extra points than punting anyway.
Thinking Grier may draft the Michigan Groza winner with the 7th pick, unless the Titans grab him in the 6th. The Titans cut Randy Bullock.

Morstead was the holder and influences accuracy. Wonder if his effectiveness had anything to do with his release

Being able to make field goals from distance is important. It helps you be able to make decisions on what playcalls to make, where you need to get on the field with how much time you have to do it in.

Jason Sanders was one of the worst in the league from 50 yards+. He was 2 of 6 in 2022 and also was 2 of 6 in 2021. He did hit 8 of 9 in 2020 but he doesn't seem to be the same kicker anymore. His 2 FGMs from 50+ last year ties him for 23rd amongst kickers (Most made was Daniel Carlson with 11 and then Justin Tucker BAL, Chase McLaughlin IND and Brett Maher DAL tied with 9).

Greg Joseph MIN 4-10 40%
Ryan Succop TAM 2-7 29%
Mason Crosby GNB 1-4 25%

The only question is whether Sanders has his mental game back. Because it's not an issue with his leg. He used to be money from long distance and he kicks with more than enough power to consistently hit from 50+.

Kicking is a very mental position. They can be like golfers and get the yips. Last season, something about Sanders was just off, something wasn't right with him. But I'm willing to bet he returns to form next season.

The only question is whether Sanders has his mental game back. Because it's not an issue with his leg. He used to be money from long distance and he kicks with more than enough power to consistently hit from 50+.

Kicking is a very mental position. They can be like golfers and get the yips. Last season, something about Sanders was just off, something wasn't right with him. But I'm willing to bet he returns to form next season.
His career long is 56 yards. He is 16/27 (59%) on kicks 50+ yards. If you look at his numbers he has always been money on kicks up to ~45 yards. From ~45-52 yards he has been good. Anything past that and he just doesn’t have the leg to consistently hit.

The top kickers coming out of college are beyond talented now. Many of them are hitting 55-60 yard FGs before they get to the pros. I would love to see us draft someone in the 7th round and make Sanders work for his paycheck.

He is making close to $4M next year and a 7th round pick would make ~$630,000.

I don’t trust sanders with the game on the line. Especially from 50+. I believe that is why we went for it on 4th down so much. This guy will cost us a playoff game. I’d bring in someone new

Greg Joseph MIN 4-10 40%
Ryan Succop TAM 2-7 29%
Mason Crosby GNB 1-4 25%

And what’s weird is it’s not a distance issue. He has plenty of leg

Back
Top Bottom