Killing Time 7/ Our Stating Offense Leaves our Defense Wishing Upon a Star! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Killing Time 7/ Our Stating Offense Leaves our Defense Wishing Upon a Star!

Disnardo

Premium Member
Reaction score
Killing Time 7/ Our Starting Offense Leaves our Defense Wishing Upon a Star!

After reading 100s of posts and gathering opinions over the last 8 months that I have been on this site, I decided to compile some stats, and some observation on our offensive performance over the last 2 years. Since they get the blame for all our pains and no gain (in Post Season appearance), I decided to put together my opinion. Many of points on this topic has been touched on before.

In reality, most of us Dolfans have blamed practically all of our offensive woes last year, on the offensive line. This unit gets the blame, for our lack of production from some of our WRs, RBs, and QBs. This unit took a turn for the worse last year. Now there is no question about this unit’s lack of production, since the FO has let go of 4 out of its 5 starters last year.

We seem to think, that somehow, either by game planning or lack of execution (team/player/coach/FO), the team has not been successful, down the stretch, when it matters to win games. By down the stretch I mean 3rd and 4th quarters.

Sure good offensive teams have a higher % of winning games down the stretch NE and Indi come to mind. But when we are facing an opponent, with strong offensive units, our defense needs the backing that for quite a few years, we have not been capable of. They seem to be always looking at the stars for help… :pray:

There were few questions, in this research, I needed answered…

Q- Why should the Offensive unit get all the blame for the last 4 years?

Q- Now, is it the Offensive unit or the pieces of the unit that have issues, for the last few years?

Now after the research I noticed a trend that, IMO narrows down the next offensive problems to the current starting QB.

Q- Why with such a strong OL, average WR Corp, a Pro-bowl RB, an average QB and a strong defensive unit in 2002 did we only go 9-7, and faded again in December?

Q- Why is this team in 2003, offensively executing decently, the 1st half of games (1st -2nd quarters), but lack in execution in the 2nd half (3rd-4th quarters) of them as well?

Q- Why was this offensive unit executing the same way in 2002?

So why, can’t we break out of this 9-7, 10-6, 11-5 and Post Season-less (if that is a word) hump?

I don’t have a solution or an answer, because if I did, I would be writing “Get Rich Quick Schemes. I do have an opinion though, based on one lonely trend, he seems to be the cog that effects the wheels in the offense, and though I hate to say it, his initials are JF.

I did a small researched, using the last 2 years stats, to see why our offensive unit is inconsistent, and only used the QB that has been our starter for the last 2 years, at times beating great defenses, and struggling against poor ones. I was looking to answer those questions above.

I know that some of you don’t take the QBR as a good source of determining talent or skills. Well, it is not meant for that, but meant to be used in evaluating the PERFORMANCE OF THE QB period…

J Fielder had a QBR of 87.2%, in the 1st half of games, this past year (2003).

J Fiedler also had a QBR 56.4%, in the 2nd half of games, this past year (2003). Stats showed that K Stewart, was the only QB with a worst QBR (in the 2nd half), than him in the NFL this past year.

Well we can think that with 2002’s OL, the numbers should be a lot better that the numbers last year, but reality sinks in and still shows the same amount of variance between the 1st and 2nd half numbers.

His QBR in his 1st half of games 2002 was 99.8%, all 10 games started.
In his 2nd half of games, his QBR was 68.6% though better than 2003 stats, their still a large variance.
This OL did very well, giving JF very good QBR #s at the half. But, this variance of 30 points in both years, still show the trend, of his below average performance in the 2nd half, even with a solid OL.

I also looked to see if, their was significant difference before and after his thumb injury in 2002, while analyzing his 1st and 2nd half stats, and here is something that was definitely noticeable.
He had a better performance, 106.9% QBR in the 1st half of the final 4 games in 2002, returning form injury, than in the 1st half of the 1st 6 games of that season.

But we lost the last 2 games in that month, why? His performance again went south, with a QBR in the 2nd half of those games, of 55.5%

That IMHO, tells me that JF feels pressure and flusters in the 2nd half of games, when opponents change game plans on him, he seems never really to move past that point and tries to do more than he physically can. I really think that, even if you would place him behind NE OL last year, they would have never had the same record, seeing how Brady rallied the team numerous times from the agony of defeat.

Bottom line, JF is not a QB that has shown a consistency to win down the stretch, the last 4 years IMO proves it, when our defense needs its backup, it keeps wishing upon a start… :pray:

:peace:

Your research only proves my point.DW need his share of the blame for his conservative style.The team offfense usually more agressive in the first half but second half DW goes into conservative mode.The play calling becomes so predictable that even 10 year can predict that they will run Ricky on first two down and maybe throw on third down.Your seting up your players to failed when team knows what coming at you.Jay Fiedler has proven he can win in the fourth because he had highest QB rating in the fourth quater and he lead the league in come from behind victories in '01.

Here the real order of the big picture.

1.OL
2.Play calling (DW handcuffing Norv)
3.WR
4.QB

So your saying Jay sucks....... Yeah we know that!!! LOL J/K I think we all know Jay falls apart like a house of cards in a hurricane, but I didnt know statistically it was that much worse in the second.

I agree good read, as was mentioned before DW and JF need to share the blame for the problems in the second half of games. JAY IS A BACKUP QB ONLY!!!!!!!!!! He does not have what it takes to be a starter in this league,end of story. As long as Jay is on the roster and Wanny is the HC the fins will be the same no matter who else Rick brings in. DW has already made it clear we are going to play the same run,run,pass type of game this year. As long as this is the case the rest of the AFC east will be smillin when they see us on the schedule.

Good post Disnardo...I've always noticed that about Fiedler but never went out and did the research. I personally am not one of the many Fiedler haters because I feel you gotta back up your team no matter what and it's not like there has been a lack of effort on his part. He really tries his best and I admire him for that. I too think his drop in production has a lot to do with our coaching philosophy when we go into the 2nd half with a lead. An interesting stat to calculate would be how many times we run the ball and the increase/decrease of our RBs production in the 2nd half of a game. ;)

Good post and great research. Although the QBR's show a significant drop in the second halfs of games in 02-03, JF was had a very good rating in those areas in '01 as MINUS wrote. My theory on this is simply that Defenses adjusted and Norv Turner did not, as he was the OC in '02-'03. He was not the OC in '01. I think this fact could come into play as to why NT did not succeed as a head coach as well, somewhat tunnel visioned in his game planning and seemingly less than willing to adjust as the game unfolds. Good post that certainly can be thought provoking. :)

Thanks one and all for your comments and opinions, you all do make great points, and like some have stated I do over-analyze things (LOL).

Just thought I make it clear, that I have supported every player in this team, since my Cowboys beat them in the 1971 Super Bowl, I was a young lad then (LOL). Ever since then I rooted for them and changed alliances, off-course.

Gary made a good point, on that former OC N Turner, caused some of our offensive issues, with poor game planning or lack of changing the game plan as the game went along.

Of Turner's Offensive game plan, we all noticed that the area that was a significant regression, was the running game, due to the OL. The WR passing game (TD wise), did extremely well, with +120% in TDs from the year before (from 6 to 13). This was attributable to CC, which had 11 of them.

Also, I would like to add, that CC was the target of 130 passes, of which he only caught 64 (49%) of them, had 4 drops, and the other 62 passes (48%) were off target. D Thompson also, was the target of 59 passes, catching only 26 (44%), had 2 drops, and the other 31 passes, were off target.

I believe CC should have been last year's Team MVP, not Wale. CC did it all himself, with really no other WR, RB, or TE to help him shed some of his double teaming. Wale, had JT on the other side, that could take some of the double teaming at times...

In general I looked and noticed that other QBs completed on average around 60% of the passes thrown to targeted WRs, and last year we were around 17% bellow the average.

Minus, I like to know the link or the site where you got that 4th quarter QBR info, I be appreciative; just really curious about it...

Again thanks to all for your insightfull opinions. :)

Fiedler led Miami to fourth-quarter comeback victories on five occasions in 2001... He has done this six times in his career during the regular season, and seven overall, including playoffs... In each instance, Fiedler thrived in the fourth quarter in guiding the Dolphins' come-from-behind wins during his two seasons with the club... Overall last year, he completed 78 of 123 passes (63.4%) for 958 yards with 11 touchdowns and seven interceptions in the fourth quarter... His 11 TD passes were the most in the NFL... In his seven career fourth quarter comebacks, he has completed 49 of 75 passes (65.3%) for 574 yards with seven touchdowns and one interception for a rating of 114.0...

In '01 he lead the league in 4th Quater QB rating.Jay Fiedler is not as bad as people think he is.The problem on offense is beyond Fiedler.Like I said the blame should be shared but Fiedler shouldn't be the first person to be blame.

1.Oline
2.Bad Playcalling (DW hands cuff the offense in the second half especially since acquiring Ricky Williams)
3.WR (Chambers only one that shows up)
4.Inconsistency at QB (especially from backup spot)

I think your posting some theories based on only a few sets of facts. Someone touched on that defenses adjusted to Miami's offense and DW/Norv did not. That's a big part of it. But I think your analysis of comparing 2002 vs 2003 stats doesn't work. From what I saw, the teams that beat us last season were the ones that kept Jay Fiedler in the pocket and didn't allow him to scramble like in previous seasons. Jay in the pocket is only a mediocre QB at best. Good defensive teams realized that and that's why we don't make the good plays against them. Recall the playcalling vs New England, 2 years ago, in front of our own endzone? Keep Fiedler in the pocket and force him to make good throws and we're screwed. I don't think the playcalling for passing in that situation was flawed. I think the coaches believing that Fiedler could execute those plays was flawed.

That's why we need a better pocket passer, hopefully AJ Feeley is that person.

minus said:
Fiedler led Miami to fourth-quarter comeback victories on five occasions in 2001... He has done this six times in his career during the regular season, and seven overall, including playoffs... In each instance, Fiedler thrived in the fourth quarter in guiding the Dolphins' come-from-behind wins during his two seasons with the club... Overall last year, he completed 78 of 123 passes (63.4%) for 958 yards with 11 touchdowns and seven interceptions in the fourth quarter... His 11 TD passes were the most in the NFL... In his seven career fourth quarter comebacks, he has completed 49 of 75 passes (65.3%) for 574 yards with seven touchdowns and one interception for a rating of 114.0...

again, notice that these games were in 2001, 2 years ago. better offensive line, Fiedler still able to scramble and make plays.

Ohio Fanatic said:
I think your posting some theories based on only a few sets of facts. Someone touched on that defenses adjusted to Miami's offense and DW/Norv did not. That's a big part of it. But I think your analysis of comparing 2002 vs 2003 stats doesn't work. From what I saw, the teams that beat us last season were the ones that kept Jay Fiedler in the pocket and didn't allow him to scramble like in previous seasons. Jay in the pocket is only a mediocre QB at best. Good defensive teams realized that and that's why we don't make the good plays against them. Recall the playcalling vs New England, 2 years ago, in front of our own endzone? Keep Fiedler in the pocket and force him to make good throws and we're screwed. I don't think the playcalling for passing in that situation was flawed. I think the coaches believing that Fiedler could execute those plays was flawed.

That's why we need a better pocket passer, hopefully AJ Feeley is that person.

You have a point.Fiedler is a much better QB when he is on the run which is something Norv did not take advantage of.Fiedler fit more into Chan system better but I believe Fiedler could be a better of QB in a west coast offense which is why I'm hoping Trestman get his way with the Playbook.

Thanks, Minus for the info, you and Ohio Fan have some interesting points...

Hopefully we will see a QB who can either throw from the pocket, or allow the offense gameplan to be molded to the QBs attributes :)

Also notice that under Chan Gailey, the WRs had averaged 62% of the receptions. under N Turner, its only been 46% in both 03 and 02. Somehow it seems to me that when JF scrambled in 00 and 01, he looked to throw to them more, then the outlet passes to the TE and RBs...

minus said:
I believe Fiedler could be a better of QB in a west coast offense which is why I'm hoping Trestman get his way with the Playbook.
True that :D . That style of O would focus on Fiedler's strentghs and put more emphasis on having Randy, Boston, and Chambers make plays after the catch. We have gotten a pretty good look at what Randy can do once he catches the ball and Boston is a monster at turning a ten yard completion into a big gain. Trestman had the best offense 2 years ago with less youth and talent IMO. Besides the aquisition of Boston this offseason, I think Trestman can make the biggest impact on our team this year...IF he gets the opportunity. Only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom