Kiper on PTI | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper on PTI

Hostile7 said:
Mel is all about the bull****. As I've said, I would rather listen to Coco the talking Gorilla.

I love listening to Mel kiss Elway's *** (does it EVERY year). Wasn't even the best QB in the 83 draft. Troy Aikman wasn't considered a franchise QB? What Bull****. Whether they had successful careers is not the point. Jeff George, Bledsoe, Manning, Leaf were all considered franchise QB. I remember when the Manning and Leaf draft debates. It doesn't matter who goes #1 or #2 because they're both amazing QB, etc...

Mel's a doof.

Actually.....the year George came out Kiper BASHED the Colts...he called George a stiff and had him ranked like 60th on his big board....seems to me he was right.

Mel seems alright to me. He's one of the only football guys on ESPN worth listening too.

bfishusi said:
Talked about the phins and basically said nothing, but I found it interesting when asked if either of these two QBs were "franchise" he said no. He said that term is dead. He said Elway was the last QB that came out of college who was seen as a franchise QB. Just found that interesting.

On a side note, he was also very big on M. Williams.

Mr Kiper never heard of Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Peyton Manning, Drew Bledsoe, Michael Vick? All were viewed as "franchise QBs", either when they were drafted or soon thereafter.

yankeehillbilly said:
Mr Kiper never heard of Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Peyton Manning, Drew Bledsoe, Michael Vick? All were viewed as "franchise QBs", either when they were drafted or soon thereafter.

Marino was hampered by BS drug claims and wasn't considered to be a franchise QB coming out of college, how do you think he dropped to #27 for us to pick? (Dont forget a whopping 5 QB's including Todd Blackledge were taken before Danny)

Kelly wasnt picked until the 14th pick. He was considered a bit raw but promising. They used the "P" word alot regarding him, but several teams passed on him (including a few that really needed help at QB, but felt that better players lay elsewhere) so he wasn't considered a "franchise QB" out of college either.

Manning was compared to Bernie Kosar. Considered to be a very smart QB, but questions were raised about his arm strength and accuracy. Theese questions prompted many to consider a much morw raw Ryan Leaf to be a better prospect than Manning. Hindsight is 20/20 for those folks, but at the time, Manning was hardly a slam dunk and many thought of him as more of a caretaker (much like we view Dilfer now) than a win the game for you type QB.

Drew Bledsoe. Many have argued that NE should have taken OT Willie Roaf instead of Bledsoe, who was considered good. The desperate Patriots (who needed nearly everything on offense) went with Bledsoe more because of the position than anything. And few options at the position hamstrung them into the pick. There was serious talk about passing on Drew and grabbing Billy Joe Hobert or Mark Brunell in the third or fourth round instead.

Ron Mexico... well, he was exciting, everybody knew that. But the questions about his football intelligence, accuracy, and ability to play QB rather than a RB that throws the ball plagued him going into the draft, and quite frankly continue to plague him today. Lets not forget that SD had the pick and traded it away feeling that the only player worth going that high (Tomlinson) would fall to them... turns out they were right, and if Brees plays even close to the way he did last year, they might be right about more things in that draft than just Vick.

Like I said, hindsight is 20/20, all theese guys (except possibly Vick) are all stars and at the very least potential HOFers (some are allready in or waiting to be enshrined), but they were not slam dunks the way some QB's were considered to be way back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom