Knight guaranteed a starting position? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Knight guaranteed a starting position?

Dude

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I've read here that one of the things holding up Knight signing with us is that Green Bay guaranteed him the starting job, and we've said he can compete for the job.

Whether or not this rumor is true, my question is what happens if you 'guarantee' a player the starting job to get him to sign with you and then after training camp decided he is not 'the man' and start someone else?

Yes the player will be pissed.
Yes the team will get a PR black eye.
But are there any real ramifications? Is there something in the player's contract that 'guarantees' the starting job?

I don't think you "guarantee" him he is the starter... Nor do I believe that anyone has that guarantee... BUT you could tell him he is being penciled in as the starter at that postition, and have him start with the first team during training camp and tell him the job is his to keep or lose.... If he gets outperformed in camp then he loses it... I don't think it a contractual thing but I could be wrong.

Well, the problem is that everyone is really competing for a starting lineup but there will be some veterans that will stand out like always and win the starting job. Come on, knight has most interceptions for a strong safety since 1997. 5 int's per season and so on. It's pretty logical that Sammy knight will earn his starting spot. Or else he wouldn't have even be any concern for the miami personel staff. As in getting him as a need not to fill up the roster.

Back
Top Bottom