Knight Lowers Demands | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Knight Lowers Demands

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Knight Lowers Demands
Free-agent safety Sammy Knight isn't necessarily seeking a long-term deal, and his original demands, considered much too high by the Dolphins, have come down significantly, a source said.
hopefully we can sign him now...

KFFL says he's scheduled to visit Greenbay on Monday... I'm thinkning he doesn't even make it there... He want's to play here and he is using Greenbay to get as much out of Miami as he can before he signs...

:huh: Uhh... the above is, of course, all speculation on my part.

Originally posted by 13isgr81
KFFL says he's scheduled to visit Greenbay on Monday... I'm thinkning he doesn't even make it there... He want's to play here and he is using Greenbay to get as much out of Miami as he can before he signs...

:huh: Uhh... the above is, of course, all speculation on my part.

I just read the Phins are negotiating with Knight, so hopefully he won't make that trip. On Packernews.com it says Greenbay NEVER made any contract offers to Knight. Where did this 1.5 million dollar contract offer come from? They have less money than us so I can't see them making that kind of offer anyway.:confused:

Ya, professional athletes rarely go where the money is so I'm sure he'll take less to play in Miami... :rolleyes:

I like the idea of rotating Knight and Freeman at SS. Freeman is faster; Knight is the better tackler. If Bates can figure out the optimal time to have eac h on the field, it could pay dividends for us.

Im still not sold on Sammy as a fulltime SS. He's slow. I may be in the minority, but I think Freeman could have a rebound year. We shall see.

Originally posted by Surferosa
I like the idea of rotating Knight and Freeman at SS. Freeman is faster; Knight is the better tackler. If Bates can figure out the optimal time to have eac h on the field, it could pay dividends for us.

Im still not sold on Sammy as a fulltime SS. He's slow. I may be in the minority, but I think Freeman could have a rebound year. We shall see.

I keep hearing people say he is slow, but the only source of this that I can tell is from the Saints organization. The same organization that said Ricky was slow and couldn't make the big play...

Knight is a better tackler I would expect than Freeman. Freeman is faster so he should have better cover skills, but since Freeman's cover skills were questionable last year - you know Knight will be better all-around. I still like Freeman more as a FS than SS

I keep hearing people say he is slow, but the only source of this that I can tell is from the Saints organization. The same organization that said Ricky was slow and couldn't make the big play

Exactly!
I for 1 like the idea of a big hitting, playmaking safety in our backfield.

Sign Sammy, Sign!

Too slow?

Speed is overrated. Have you seen his stats?

Just look his interceptions by year (source NFL.com):

1997 = 5
1998 = 6
1999 = 1
2000 = 5
2001 = 6
2002 = 5

That's 28 career interceptions in 6 seasons. This guy has a nose for the ball. You don't have to be fast if you can always place yourself in the right place at the right time.

This guy is a player. He would be a significant improvement to Freeman. We need to sign this guy.

Phins Phan

Originally posted by 13isgr81

I keep hearing people say he is slow, but the only source of this that I can tell is from the Saints organization. The same organization that said Ricky was slow and couldn't make the big play...

My source is watching Saints games on TV - Hes a heavy footed runner that is the recipient of a lot of INT's because he has great anticipation. But if he is out of position, he lacks the mobilty to backtrack and make a play.

He reminds me of another Ex Saint (and Dolphin) Safety Gene Atkims - a few good seasons early in his careeer, but by the time he came to Miami, he was toast.

I agree we should sign him, but only if the price is right AND Freeman remains in the mix. For all the crticism he takes, Free still had 96 tackles last season. He is the perfect compliement to Sammy imo

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, when you watched Saints games, did Ricky look slow??

Maybe its a New Orleans thing... I mean aren't most people in the state of Loose-ianna are slow anyway? :jk:

No seriously, maybe if he came here and got on the "Ricky Williams Program for Haulin Ass" he could pick it up a notch...

If he will get us 5 INTs this year, then to hell with his lack of mobility. Besides, he has all those other pro bowlers around him. Which he met last year at the Pro Bowl. :D

Phins Phan

Back
Top Bottom