Knight to bump Wooden off team ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Knight to bump Wooden off team ?

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
from http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/
Q. How How many safeties are the Dolphins going to keep?

A. My feeling is that the addition of Sammy Knight (pictured) hurts Shawn Wooden more than anyone. I don't think the Dolphins will carry more than five safeties and may only keep four because of improved talent at linebacker. Knight, Arturo Freeman and Brock Marion are locks to make the team. Trent Gamble will probably make it as well, as he signed a three-year contract extension in the offseason with a $150,000 signing bonus. Barring injury, that leaves Wooden, Scott McGarrahan and rookie Yeremiah Bell fighting for a fifth safety spot. Because he re-signed a minimum salary contract with no signing bonus, Wooden could be released without having an impact on the team's salary cap. ...
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/finsoffer

Yea I read this the other day..but I think Wooden would probably knock Scott off first, because wooden is a ST'mer also..I think he's better than S. McG..so I think he would stick first...his salary is only 440K against the cap..

I think Bell goes on IR or at least PUP. We didn't pick him knowing he was injured to just throw him away. We did with an eye on the future, namely next year.

If we only keep 4 though that definitely leaves Wooden off the team. Gamble can play CB as well, which makes him a lock to make the team, along with his signing bonus.

If the team didn't tell Wooden there was a chance he wouldn't make the team before re-signing him that's terrible for team morale and incentive to restructure and help teh team such as Wooden did. He also re-signed with the team after he was cut and could have gone elsewhere. It just sends a bad message to your players to treat people like this if he wasn't forewarned. He could easily make the Titans, Bengals, among others who need backup S help.

I know the NFL is a business and there's always a chance you could get cut, but it is wrong to do a guy like this if he wasn't told prior to re-signing we may bring in another S that could knock him off the roster.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Yea I read this the other day..but I think Wooden would probably knock Scott off first, because wooden is a ST'mer also..I think he's better than S. McG..so I think he would stick first...his salary is only 440K against the cap..

Wooden is a ST'mer but not a very good one. McGarrahan and Gamble are 2 of our best guys on ST's. We can also cut Wooden without any impact on our cap.

They didn't know anything about Knights situation when they signed Wooden though, did they?

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Wooden is a ST'mer but not a very good one. McGarrahan and Gamble are 2 of our best guys on ST's. We can also cut Wooden without any impact on our cap.

I meant I think Wooden is a better Safety..did we pay Scott his bonus upfront..?? so would he be a impact to cap..Trent just resigned and got a bonus..so he would be an impact..but I would hate to cut a better safety because of cap..we're already doing that at LB.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

I meant I think Wooden is a better Safety..did we pay Scott his bonus upfront..?? so would he be a impact to cap..Trent just resigned and got a bonus..so he would be an impact..but I would hate to cut a better safety because of cap..we're already doing that at LB.

Scott I believe got a 150k signing bonus last year. So 50k would be a dead cap this year and another 50k next year. Not much but every little bit counts. Especially with Gamble and Bell back there his value would be on special teams which his value isn't worth.

i said wooden would get cut....and i got knocked for it here but i just dont see him staying here...could they package rodgers and wooden? that would be nice i think

I can't wait to see what kind of skills Bell has got...

Being cut by the Miami Dolphins twice in one offseason, that has got to suck, and I really like Wooden too....damn hopefully he will do well on another team as it looks like if he is cut, he will not come back, I mean would you after the way the Dolphins have treated you?

Originally posted by dolphan39
from http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/
I don't think the Dolphins will carry more than five safeties and may only keep four because of improved talent at linebacker.

Dont see where this great dearth of talent at LB is coming from. With Rodgers likely being cut or traded, there are only 4 decent LB's on the roster. Somehow think that Wooden would be kept over the likes of Seaverns and Symonette.

i said wooden would get cut....and i got knocked for it here but i just dont see him staying here...could they package rodgers and wooden? that would be nice i think

Well I guess it depends on WHEN you said Wooden would get cut. Was it before it was obvious that Knight was going to be a dolphin, or was it after it became obvious Knight and Miami were soon to be united. And if it was after, why do I find it rather hard to believe that you "got knocked" for it when pretty much everyone in this thread is agreeing that Wooden's spot is very very tenuous.

I remember a long time ago like last offseason someone came on and suggested we cut Wooden and sign Victor Green, and at the time I "knocked" the idea cuz Wooden has community ties and is a very strong contributor on charities and a popular dude in the locker room so it wouldn't look good to cut his butt to make room for a guy who has similar talent at this point in his career, a former Jet who burned us in the past and bleeds hunter green.

Well I guess you could call Tommy Hendricks "decent" by now...more so than Seaverns or Symonette I'll tell ya that.

And besides I think they drafted Corey Jenkins to take over for Seaverns or Symonette. Jenkins and Moore figure to take over the spots vacated by Russell and Galyon.

Still you're right I don't see a 7th linebacker that is twisting the coaches' arms into keeping one less DB, but that is probably the reason they'll keep 5 safeties, and not 4 safeties...6 safeties is just ridiculous especially given our past preference for keeping tons of corners.

Wooden is not an asset as a safety, given the players ahead of him (at least 3, possibly 4 with Gamble being able to play some corner). So, what you want is the best ST player - which leaves McGarrahan. But, I think Wooden will go to camp and compete - if one or two get injured he could remain. But, if all are healthy and play to expectations, McGarrahan has the edge.

We'll likely keep 6 LB's - Starters + Moore, Hendricks, then Seaverns will fight with Jenkins for a job - Jenkins having a bit of an edge b/c of his draft status. But, if it looks like he can't handle the spot, they may try to make him a practice squad guy.

B/c of the depth at DL, it is unlikely we'll keep 7 LB's. Five safeties is a lot to keep as well, but that's where some strength is. We may well keep 5 CB's also - it will come down to some serious competition for those last 3 spots or so on the roster, barring a barrage of injuries.

Often it comes down to the last RB vs the last OL vs the last LB vs the last DB - and how many they want to keep based on special team needs and the strengths at the position.

If you have a 4th RB who is an awesome ST player and a 5th Safety whose not as good - the RB has an advantage. But, I like our situation and I think our Special teams had grown mediocre the last couple of years - with the competition among return men, we should be in much better shape.

Back
Top Bottom