Kudos to the Front Office for Being Bold | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kudos to the Front Office for Being Bold

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how the rebuild will shake out. Miami could be the Cleveland Browns of the last 20 years, fumbling through coaches, quarterbacks and missing on high draft picks. But, there's a chance that as fans we could look back three, four, or five years from now and say that this is the starting point. This is where the Dolphins finally turned the corner. I give the front office credit for being bold. Bold is usually a good thing in sports and in life.

When I look at the issues that have held this organization back for about 20 years, it's really three primary things --- not finding the right coach, not finding an above average quarterback (except for the brief time with Pennington), and fielding a below average offensive line for most of that time stretch.

No way to know if Flores is the guy, but I like what he's been saying, how he talks about matching up with teams (being multiple) and the emphasis on being a physical and smart team. We'll see how that plays out. The quarterback and offensive line issues almost go hand-in-hand. Miami could make the right choice at quarterback, but unless the line is quickly upgraded, we may not see that. Think Couch, Young with the Bucs, Plunkett wth NE etc. The next couple of drafts is clearly about quarterback (unless Rosen is the guy) and building the offensive line.

Anyway, I'm not as typically excited about the season as I usually am. I'm always optimistic, but 2-14 wouldn't surprise me. But, if it's a starting point for something great then so be it. Sometimes you've got to be bold and Miami has the draft captial to really build this team if they make the right decisions.

Agreed!

It's easy to play Madden and be a mad trader, there's nothing on the line. But when you're career is on the line, it's a lot harder to go out on a limb and tank, because if you're canned before it comes to fruition, or if it doesn't work, then you're career is over. Kudos to the administration for daring to think outside the box and dare to be great … regardless of whether it succeeds or fails. I've got nothing to lose from them sticking their necks out, and I'll be honest … I'll be there criticizing them if it fails, just like everyone else. But, let's recognize the ballz it takes to do this, win lose or draw.

Well said SF! Ya, I'm not as excited/optimistic about the season as usual, but I am certainly looking forward to the next couple of drafts and what they may bring to the team.

Well said SF! Ya, I'm not as excited/optimistic about the season as usual, but I am certainly looking forward to the next couple of drafts and what they may bring to the team.
Just think how exciting it could be if Miami has that #1 overall pick with Tua there for the taking. Then the team doesn't have to use draft capital to deal up. I don't know much about the 2020 class yet, but hopefully there is a lot of talent on the offensive line. I could see the Dolphins going Tua, OL, OL, OL with their second #1 and both #2's.

We could be the Miami Dolphins of the last 20 years. Missing on high draft pick after high draft pick. Constant shuffling of head coaches and different schemes, poor scouting, and poor player development have led us to where are now. Inexcusable to have an offensive line that is in complete shambles. Look how many draft picks (rounds 1-3) we've invested over the last 20yrs and have zip to show for it.
1999 Grey Ruegamer
2000 Todd Wade
2002 Seth McKinney
2003 Wade Smith & Taylor Whitley
2004 Vernon Carey
2007 Samson Satele
2008 Jake Long
2010 John Jerry
2011 Mike Pouncey
2012 Jonathan Martin
2013 Dallas Thomas
2014 Billy Turner
2014 JaWuan James
2016 Laremy Tunsil
2019 Michael Deiter

And what also irks me is how many times are we creating holes ourselves by not resigning young talent that actually does pan out. Draft picks offer nothing but hope and based on our track record I'm not hopeful. Consider our current lack of a pass rusher again despite investing five 1st or 2nd round draft pics at the DE position since 2008.

2008 Philip Merling (3.5 sacks)
2010 Jared Odrick (16.5 sacks w/MIA)
2012 Olivier Vernon (29 sacks w/MIA)
2013 Dion Jordan (3 sacks w/MIA)
2017 Charles Harris (3 sacks)

Last edited:
Just think how exciting it could be if Miami has that #1 overall pick with Tua there for the taking. Then the team doesn't have to use draft capital to deal up. I don't know much about the 2020 class yet, but hopefully there is a lot of talent on the offensive line. I could see the Dolphins going Tua, OL, OL, OL with their second #1 and both #2's.
I hope they go defensive with their second 1st round pick. Then o-line in the 2nd round. Of course also addressing o-line in FA. The defense is further along than the offense, but it still needs much more talent.

We could be the Miami Dolphins of the last 20 years. Missing on high draft pick after high draft pick. Constant shuffling of head coaches and different schemes, poor scouting, and poor player development have led us to where are now. Inexcusable to have an offensive line that is in complete shambles. Look how many draft picks (rounds 1-3) we've invested over the last 20yrs and have zip to show for it.
1999 Grey Ruegamer
2000 Todd Wade
2002 Seth McKinney
2003 Wade Smith & Taylor Whitley
2004 Vernon Carey
2007 Samson Satele
2008 Jake Long
2010 John Jerry
2011 Mike Pouncey
2012 Jonathan Martin
2013 Dallas Thomas
2014 Billy Turner
2014 JaWuan James
2016 Laremy Tunsil
2019 Michael Deiter
Some good linemen in there. People don’t realize the “hits” have to get paid and we went on this merry go round of drafting a T every 4 years because we couldn’t keep our own guy (or they got hurt). Tunsil was about to get paid - he would have been gone like some of those other guys. Carey, Wade, Long, Pouncey, James, Tunsil, hopefully Dieter all good players. Some average guys in there like Satele and McKinney. It feels worse because we hit a disaster stretch w Thomas, Martin, Turner, Douglas - yuck. If anything, we’ve shown we can pick Tackles. Guards not so much.

Then Tua forces us to trade him to the colts. And we get 3 first round picks for him. So now we have 6 first rounders in 2 years and ryan Fitzpatrick going 8-8 for us!

We need to spend money on the Oline when we take Tua

IMO we draft a LT and sign a solid vet C and OG. Banking on Dieter panning out as our future LG and Jesse Davis at RT. We seem to struggle drafting interior linemen and we could really use a quality center to call out protections at the LOS.

All 13 picks to be used on the OL and DL please. And $90 mill in FA. Might as well

Back
Top Bottom