Larry Csonka one of the scariest players in NFL history | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Larry Csonka one of the scariest players in NFL history

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
Larry Csonka was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the first round of the 1968 draft, where he was the eighth player chosen overall. He had attended Syracuse University, where he had broken many school rushing records that were set by such legends like Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, and Floyd Little.

He almost never became a running back. He was playing defensive end in high school when he filled in on the kickoff team in his sophomore year on the last game of the season. He got his hands on the ball and loved it. After pleading to his coaches to play fullback for a long period of time, he was given an opportunity and immediately stood out from then on.

Miami brought him along slowly his first two seasons, handing the ball off to him just under ten times a game because he suffered two concussions so severe that his career was in jeopardy. They increased his workload his third season and the team improved as Csonka made the first of his five consecutive Pro Bowls.

He never missed a game over a four year span that saw him regularly run over defenders on each play. He was a nightmare trying to tackle, and he would often deliver a more forceful impact than the opposition could deliver. To make matters worse, he rarely fumbled and was an outstanding blocker.

He was called a "movable weight" by one defender, who lamented the strength in Csonka's legs. He also was extremely tough, having played through at least ten broken noses in his gridiron career. Monte Clark, a assistant coach on Miami, once said "When Csonka goes on safari, the lions roll up their windows."

"Zonk" became famous as the offensive leader on Dolphin teams that appeared in three Super Bowls in the first half of the 1970's, winning two. He was named MVP of Super Bowl VIII. His story was on books and magazines constantly, and was named 1973 Super Athlete of the Year by the Professional Football Writers Association.

With all of his successes, he was significantly underpaid. The World Football League was starting up in 1974, so Csonka left the Miami Dolphins for the Memphis Southmen for a more lucrative contract. He stayed there until the WFL folded midway into their second year.

He joined the New York Giants in 1976, and was part of a memorable play two years later most call "The Miracle at the Meadowlands". With the Giants leading the Philadelphia Eagles by five with 31 seconds left on the game clock, the New York offensive coordinator instructed the quarterback to hand off the ball to Csonka instead of kneel down. The rest of the team was expecting the quarterback to kneel, but he attempted to hand it to Csonka while juggling the ball. The ball bounced around until Philadelphia scooped up the ball and ran it in for a winning score.

He returned to Miami in 1978 and scored a career high 13 times and was named the NFL Comeback Player of the Year. He asked for an increase in pay, but was denied so he retired. He is a member of the Pro Football, College Football, and Miami Dolphins Halls of Fame.

The images of a bloodied "Zonk" glaring into a hole just before he ran over three defenders is permanently etched in the memories of every football fan that got to see him play. There were few as tough, sturdy, or strong to ever carry the football.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/411542-the-scariest-players-in-nfl-history#page/10

Tough S O B, one of my favorite Dolphins.

Last edited by a moderator:
csonka is the man. i love the way he played. one tough mother f****r. one of my top 3 all-time favorite phins

damn WFL gutted that fins team. zonk was indeed the key cog driving those superbowl teams. and a syracuse guy to boot.

I always wonder how these guys would do if you put them into the NFL right now, but in their prime selves. Would be really cool to see these legends take some of these guys to school despite them being bigger and faster than them.

I always wonder how these guys would do if you put them into the NFL right now, but in their prime selves. Would be really cool to see these legends take some of these guys to school despite them being bigger and faster than them.

Half the things these guys did would not be allowed in todays NFL. Csonka use to forearm guys in the face who tried to tackle him. He would was one of meanest Mofos out there. My grandfather tells me he once saw an interview with Larry's dad and his told the story that when Zonk was little the family dog bit him, and in retaliation Larry bit the dog back. I love Zonk.

Half the things these guys did would not be allowed in todays NFL. Csonka use to forearm guys in the face who tried to tackle him. He would was one of meanest Mofos out there. My grandfather tells me he once saw an interview with Larry's dad and his told the story that when Zonk was little the family dog bit him, and in retaliation Larry bit the dog back. I love Zonk.

:lol: Pretty intense. Maybe he could try MMA in his prime self then.

:lol: Pretty intense. Maybe he could try MMA in his prime self then.

Guy was crazy, they all were. Scott played with two broken wrist in a playoff game. Kuechenberg played with a steal rod in his forearm in a playoff game. Manny Fernandez was almost legally blind. Like I said half these guys would not be allowed to do that things they did back then. I have a lot of respect for the guys that paved the way for the prima donnas we root for today.

Only running back in dolphin, and probably NFL ,history to get a 15 yd unnecessary ruffness penallty for one of his forearm
shivers. I saw it happen, Shula was livid and cussing out the refs. Most of the time they deserved it too.
all them broken noses he got was because the only way they could tackle him was by grabbing his
facemask.

Only running back in dolphin, and probably NFL ,history to get a 15 yd unnecessary ruffness penallty for one of his forearm
shivers. I saw it happen, Shula was livid and cussing out the refs. Most of the time they deserved it too.
all them broken noses he got was because the only way they could tackle him was by grabbing his
facemask.

Never got the opportunity to see Zonk live, but I have seen what you are mentioning on video. Zonk was amazing.

I remember the two college all star games in 1968, which were before the preseason. One was two college teams, then college all stars vs. the NFL champs. Csonka starred in both games and my dad and I were absolutely giddy that he would be playing for the Dolphins.

He became my favorite player, although basically it was a 40-way tie. That was the mindset of the entire city. When players ran through the tunnel of Dolphin Dolls in the closed west end zone, linemen like Langer and Little received thunderous applause virtually identical to the skill position stars. That's one reason I never appreciated the Marino era, the devaluation of the team concept and physical football.

Anyway, Csonka's the first guy I recall with helmet issues, after the two concussions as a rookie. They were scrambling to alter his helmet in some fashion but I don't remember the specifics.

Csonka declined in 1974. His YPC dropped more than a half yard, below 4. The entire team fell off to some extent, then tried to recapture former level in the playoffs at Oakland, which was in many ways a better effort than any game all year. I'll always wonder how much of that 1974 downward tilt was age, how much was inevitable dropoff after two years of dominating the league, and how much was a situational letdown due to the lame duck status of Csonka/Kiick/Warfield? I always suspected it was majority the latter category, with Pittsburgh the great beneficiary.

Ultimate Warrior

No strutting around, no end zone dances, no running out of bounds to avoid the contact.........just the most kick a**, meanest, mano-a-mano football player to exist in the league since he walked into it. The players of today, by and large, could learn volumes by observing how he played the game......best damn football player I ever saw....ever....and last guy in the world I would ever want to pisss off....

Zonk Rules

The illegal stuff went both ways, which makes what Zonk did even more amazing. Stuff that went on at the bottom of the pile was legendary.

One of my favorite football quotes was from Zonk when he was asked after Miami beat the Vikes in the SB how he got a black eye. Answer: "It was a cheap shot, but it was an honest cheap shot." Now there's so many babies boo-hooing about this and that it's unreal. I don't get the ball enough, nobody appreciates me, nobody understands me... show me some love... I have a new CD coming out... check out my crib... blah blah blah. STFU already.

Differnt breed of men, honestly.

Ever picked up an M1 Garrand? It's a heavy *****. Better men than me carried that behemoth into battle with the worst evil this world has ever seen.

Zonk WAS the brute squad.

The illegal stuff went both ways, which makes what Zonk did even more amazing. Stuff that went on at the bottom of the pile was legendary.

One of my favorite football quotes was from Zonk when he was asked after Miami beat the Vikes in the SB how he got a black eye. Answer: "It was a cheap shot, but it was an honest cheap shot." Now there's so many babies boo-hooing about this and that it's unreal. I don't get the ball enough, nobody appreciates me, nobody understands me... show me some love... I have a new CD coming out... check out my crib... blah blah blah. STFU already.

Check out my crib, yo!

Back
Top Bottom