Leadership | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Leadership

Milk Man

TriniDolFan
Reaction score
The ongoing saga of the once proud Miami Dolphins franchise is, to me, one of leadership - or the lack thereof.

From the minute Don Shula walked out the building the leadership of and from within the franchise has been on the decline and is at an alltime low right now.

Yes, JJ was a leader, and Marino, McDuffie, Trace Armstrong, Surtain, JT and Thomas, these guys were good leaders who supported one another for one common goal. One by one they have all gone, but who exactly has replaced them? Bush, Moore, Marshall, Dansby, Bell? Some fine tallent there but no one capable of holding court in the locker room and demanding accountability.

Lack of leadership is most evident from an ownership perspective as Wayne Huizenga, who may have really wanted to win a SB but didn't really know how to do that and so became more and more desperate in his efforts to do just that. The results of those actions haunt us to this day (Wanny, Cameron, Saban, Ginn, Beck). Our new owner, Mr. Ross, has fumbled the opening handoff and seems unsure of the structure of a functioning NFL franchise.

Parcells came in to offer some stability and direction, which would have helped both Huizenga and Ross, but he took the money and bolted and we are left with, well, a rudderless ship.

That's why the discussion about a new head coach seems to underwelming right now, because without leadership we're going to be having this same discussion in 2 years time.

Who is the best leader between Philbin, McCoy and Bowles? Pick him!

Is Ireland a leader? Where has he been hiding? And from whom?

Is Ross a leader? Too early to tell but if he needs help, bring in an advisor on a permanent basis and try to learn as you grow.

Is there leadership on the team? Im sure Long is, and Pouncy, maybe Starks - but find some more of that. Ray Lewis, Drew Brees, these guys set the tone and the other players follow....we need this going forward.

So in this off season 2012 where we hire a new coach and coaching staff and sign free agents and draft new players, my biggest wish is that we acquire some leadership throughout the franchise and, even if it takes some time, that those leaders take us back to the Super Bowl.

I agree with you 100% that is why I wanted Zimmer because he was a leader of men, whoever the coach is there needs to be a shared vision with Ross, Ireland, and the coach, that is why fisher went to the rams because of a "shared" vision, we need structure, no more of this dysfunction crap.

Back
Top Bottom