Left tackle/Scoring offense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Left tackle/Scoring offense

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
I think it is understood now by the majority of Dolphin fans how important an offensive line is to a team's success.

For those that still have doubts about the importance at left tackle, take a look at the top ten scoring teams investments.

Rams-Orlando Pace- 1st round
Vikings-Bryant Mckinnie-1st round
KC-Willie Roaf-1st round
Indianapolis-Tarik Glenn-1st round
Titans-Brad Hopkins-1st round
Ravens-Jonathan Ogden 1st round
Seattle-Walter Jones 1st round
Green Bay-Chad Clifton-2nd round (44 overall)

Did not start in 2003
San Fransisco-Kwame Harris -1st round
Denver-George Foster-1st round

It's not the pick you desire. It's the pick you must have.

If Shawn Andrews or Robert Gallery is available in the first, take one!

Unfortunately both look like real real high picks. It's likely both will go top 10. But ya they are worth high picks.

We would be extremeley lucky to get one of those two.

Although I mean Shawn Andrews may drop for not playing in his Bowl Game and I think he had a small injury concern or something.

Gallery at this point looks like a lock for top 10. Andrews is more of a RT.

I think this is misguided emphasis placed on the left tackle position. Left tackle is the glamour position of the offensive line, but the stabilizing force of an offensive line is the center position. The center is the most important line position, IMO.

To have a good running game, you have to be able to run between the tackles. The center is the starting point to the inside run. Teams with good centers typically have good running games.

Pass blocking also starts from the inside and goes out. Edge rushers are great on the outside, but if the interior guys handle the inside pressure, there is a pocket for the QB to step into to evade the edge rushers. Where do you see most blitzes getting through? Inside.

The Dolphins have a good young left tackle in Wade Smith. You have to give him enough time to develop at the position unless you live an la la land and expect rookie offensive linemen to dominate the minute they step onto the field.

The center is the key to the offensive line, but the key to any good offense is the quarterback.

I won't disagree with you on the center but the left tackle guards the blind side of a right handed Quarter. Ask Peyton Manning who his most important lineman is... :)

Tarik Glenn :D

I don't discount any other position on the line. I just know that to get the "glamour" left tackle you have to invest heavily.

It's a kind of pick your poison deal. Put the first rounder out there or pay Orlando Pace the 20 million a year he wants :lol:

Seriously, I would be pleased to see us end up with one center with our number one. That would be Ben Wilkerson. He could anchor the Miami offensive line for years to come.

There are about 10 linemen out there that seem to be worth our
number 1. As long as we get one of them, I'll be satisfied in the first round.

No way do I want to enter the QB rotissourie with the likes of Cincinatti, Arizona, Cleveland, Seattle, Chicago, and so many others that have participated in the yearly "bust".

But who am I? I said we needed a lineman last year and I had to wait a full day to see him acquired. :rolleyes:

*Meanwhile at the Bat Cave*
Carolina won seven games last year. They invested in Jordan Gross in the first round. I'm a Dolphin season ticket holder and yet I'm going to a Panther playoff game tomorrow.

well here's how I look at it.

Let's say we take an OT this year in the draft, trade up, stay where we're at, whatever. We take one, he walks on is an immediate starter, as he should be. Now.......where's that leave us at QB?

I understand the need for a quality line (i was an all state guard myself). But by FAR we need to take a QB this year high in the first for many reasons.

The first being the value of this years QB's. We can potentially take Rivers, who in ANY other year is possibly the first QB taken, with a pick as low as 20. IF we trade up, we could have Eli or more likely Roth. BOTH deffinite top 3 picks in any other year. This years QB draft sports EXCELLENT talent that will come relatively cheap compared to any other year. Is there always a high QB taken? Yes. But when's the last time the third best QB in the draft threw 5 TD's in the tangerine bowl, had a 73% completion rating for the season, and is a great team leader? That's #1 material 9/10 other years. If Vick were in this draft, he wouldn't go first. Any other year we'd need the #1 pick for any of these guys. As it is, we can possibly take one without moving from our 20 spot.

Next, is our obvious need for a franchise QB....2 years down the road. You can find linemen in the FA.......but you won't find a future QB in the FA.

Also, there's ALWAYS great looking hogs in the draft. In any season, any one of them could walk onto the dolphins. If we take an OT high next year he'll walk onto the dolphisn, 4 years down the road, etc. BUT, you'll never draft a QB high, have him walk on and do well right away. It takes time to groom a QB. IF we take an OT this year, we'll have to take a QB next year and wait at least another season for that QB to be a decent starting QB. Where as, we can take a great prospect QB high in the first this year, and an OT next year (if we haven't filled that position in FA), and potentially have 2 starters that do well.

Also, consider that we have a young, up and coming line. They'll get better, Smith is coming into his own. Where as we have NO QB to step up (I'm an ISU student, I really like Sage, but he just hans't got the chance yet).

Just my .02, but we all know it's more likely that an OT will walk on and do well than a QB.

Those are teams that have a fairly balanced offensive attack, using their running game and their passing game, it's good to note but it's not good to over analize the fact that the left tackle is the most important thing in their offense. It's logical that if you have a set of lineman that give you time, it will allow the passer to make more accurate throws so the receiver can catch it, it will also free up the running game, therefore bringing their first team offense to the redzone faster than other teams.

The lack of attention paid to the OL in the offseason has been a gripe of mine for years, not just under Wannstedt, but in the JJ era also. Ignoring the problem or filling the positions by bargain basement buying just isn't sufficient to produce and maintain a good offense. We went into the '03 season with LT being manned by either a rookie, or Dixon whose health has always been a concern, a LG who hadn't had the time to fully recover from an achilles injury, a center who's smart and can make the line calls but can't push as the line of attack on running plays, another center who can run block better but that's about it, and a RG and RT who haven't been as consistent as you'd like to hope they'd be as the veteran starters that they are. It is no wonder the offense struggled. Everyone knows the old saying, about football being a game played in the trenches and it all starts up front. The teams that really believe that and do something about it are the ones having success.

Originally posted by Graythreat
well here's how I look at it.

2 years down the road. You can find linemen in the FA.......but you won't find a future QB in the FA.

Is that what is going on in the CFL? Because it sure doesn't happen that way in the NFL.

6 out of the top 10 QBs in the league this year were drafted by another team.

That lineman that comes around in free agency? Check out the salaries that Walter Jones and Orlando Pace receive this year. Whoa :eek:

Clear your goggles.

William Roaf was a 1st round tackle.....for the Saints. But KC only invested a 4th in him (steal).

Once again, I offer nothing to the discussion. Only pointing at the spec of bird crap the hood of on the Rolls Royce.

Originally posted by Muck
William Roaf was a 1st round tackle.....for the Saints. But KC only invested a 4th in him (steal).

Once again, I offer nothing to the discussion. Only pointing at the spec of bird crap the hood of on the Rolls Royce.

You can say that again because it's not too often that a guy wants out of a locker room as a result of a paternity discrepancy. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Muck, you did add something to the discussion. :D

Willie Roaf as a Saint in 2002-#3 in scoring offense

Wayne Gandy replacing Willie Roaf in 2003-#14 scoring offense

BELIEVE IT

*long inhale*

*long exhale*

OR NOT

Oh that Joe Horn......... He's a rascal. :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom