Left Tackle vs Qb | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Left Tackle vs Qb

This may be a non issue next year, AJ gets no pass protection and makes a lot of mistake for a young QB and we need 1200 posts on next year's QB before we even know what we have this year...the qb is always the first position drafted, and everything is built around him, provided he any good, which is what we're trying to see. Do we have a good QB, I think we do..if the ol plays well, we're know for sure if AJ starts this year.

However I do agree a QB is more important...

You can still find good/great QB's later in a draft. ProBowl LT's are almost SOLELY drafted in the top 5 of a draft. QB's can be taken in the second round (Brees - just in recent history), late first (MARINO - 27th overall), or in the rare occasion (Brady) the sixth round. I can not remember the last ProBowl LT that was taken outside of the top 10 of the draft much less out of the first round.

Edit: Not even getting into the bust factor of QB's vs LT's, but a LT drafted high is much more likely to pan out...

Based on salary, the two positions seems to have the same value. But I would rather have a very good QB on my team than a very good LT. But a good LT is harder to find than a good QB.

LT Avg salary of the 5 highest salary in 2004 : $8,018,342
Jonathan Ogden, Balt. $9,101,989
John Tait, Chi. $8,535,000
Chris Samuels, Wash. $8,349,920
Orlando Pace, OT, St. L. $7,020,000
Walter Jones, OT, Sea. $7,084,800

QB Avg salary of the 5 highest salary in 2004 : $8,077,782
Brett Favre, G.B. $9,533,333
Peyton Manning, Ind. $8,301,666
Michael Vick, Atl. $7,892,857
Donovan McNabb, Phi. $7,861,055
Brad Johnson, T.B. $6,800,000

Devil's Advocate..............

Best LT's:
J.Ogden - 1 SB Championship
O.Pace - 1 SB Championship

Best QB's:
P.Manning - 0 SB Championships
D.Culpepper - 0 SB Championships

(I excluded Brady because he is only considered one of the best because of his championships.....in which case M.Light would have to be considered the best LT, so they cancel eachother out)

When you look at the teams with multiple rings, almost all had great qb's (excepting Washington & Oakland; Simms I would say was excellent if not great). The teams with average or decent qbs were usually one-hit wonders. I'd prefer a dynasty.

This is like the chicken before the egg argument. Paying a LT isn't considered worth it unless you have a QB worth protecting and a high paid QB isn't worth it unless you can protect him with a high paid LT. Save some examples across the league all your premier QB's are protected by premier LT's. And any team wanting to go the other route (ie. running game or defense) channel their money down different routes. With parity rampant in the NFL today, winning is a matter of style and preference and most of all circumstance. If you (emphasis on "if") can draft or sign an elite QB:rolleyes: (yeah right) than your best bet is to find adequate LT help, or your investment may turn out to be a wash. Which recently hasn't been hard, except for the Dolphins and Falcons. With that being said I think the LT position is more important, they can facilitate a Passing game and a Running game. However it truly depends on style and preference I can easily justify paying a premier LB, LT, QB, DE, or CB the same money.

brparkway said:
When you look at the teams with multiple rings, almost all had great qb's (excepting Washington & Oakland; Simms I would say was excellent if not great). The teams with average or decent qbs were usually one-hit wonders. I'd prefer a dynasty.

Simms was only the QB for 1 Super Bowl, and was good, not great IMO. Hostetler (who QB'd them to the other SB, wasn't very good.

Elway was GREAT, but ironically only great enough to win the SB once Terrell Davis arrived. Favre is as great, but only won the big one the year the Packers had the league's #1 defense....making them a great TEAM.

Washington had great teams and won two SB's with Doug Williams and Mark Rypien(sp?).

Joe Montana and Tom Brady are considered GREAT because they won championships....so are they great because they won? or did they win because they're great?

Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts, Jim Kelly and Fran Tarkenton are Hall of Fame QB's who never won a single SB, let alone multiple SB's...........

while Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Hostetler and Jim McMahon can call themselves SB Champions.

even further, QB's such as Stan Humphries, Chris Chandler, Neil O'Donnell, Steve Grogan and David Woodly have QB'd their teams to a SB.

If your going to make any player comparisons you gotta do it as QB and THEIR LT.

Those 2 positions are tied very intrically to a QB's success.

You missed my point. Not all great qb's won a ring, but most of the dynasties had HOF or future HOF qb's:

GB - Starr
Phins - Griese
Steelers - Bradshaw
Niners - Montana, Young
Cowboys - Aikman
Broncos - Elway
Pats - Brady

I mentioned the Skins & Raiders (Plunkett) as exceptions.
you can argue the championships/player chicken/egg thing forever, but the fact remains that these guys performed when it counted and helped their teams win more than once.
And without Dan, what kind of record would Miami have had all those years? Let's face it, Shula was ridin' that arm most of the time. I don't think even Webb coulda made Fiedler a pro-bowler.

Quarterback. They both are obviously important positions, but the quarterback has the chance to change the game more than any other player.

If our LT situation fails this year then we owe Feeley another year to prove himself and we should draft the best LT we can get in round one.

Qb

Easy one, if the QB is really good, he will have some bad days if the blocking isn't too great, but if he is a below average QB with great blocking he'll still be average at best....

Back
Top Bottom