Let's be careful on all these free agents | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let's be careful on all these free agents

scotgif

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Not to be one to sound negative, or to rain on our current euphoric parade, but!!!!!
I think we need to be very careful and cautious with who we pick up in free agency.
I seem to remember a few short seasons ago, Shula's last, that we gave it a "let's bring in everyone and his brother" attempt to win the big one.
That attempt failed miserabely.
Many reasons for that, not the least of which was chemistry.
I know that word is thrown around a lot, but, IMHO, it is almost as important as talent.
Put it this way, it doesn't matter how much talent you have, if you don't play together as a team and show unity, it can tear a team apart.
That cast of characters surely did have the talent, but, just did not mesh as a unit.
I like all the moves that we have made in the offseason so far, and am encouraged by what I see from Wanny and Speilman.
I just think we need to bring in "character guys" that are team players.
It sure would be a shame to have most of the peices in place, and have it torn apart from within by somebody we made a "mistake" on.

BTW, what do you guys think about signing............?

The Patriots are the perfect example of what you are describing. Name me one single "star" on that team besides Ty Law. Name me one player who would command huge money in F.A.

We need a team with talent, but also superior coaching, and as you stated, Character.

Good post.

Originally posted by dolfan87
The Patriots are the perfect example of what you are describing. Name me one single "star" on that team besides Ty Law. Name me one player who would command huge money in F.A.

We need a team with talent, but also superior coaching, and as you stated, Character.

Good post.

What the Patriots accomplished last season was nothing short of a miracle,,,,, even the Patriots and their fans are in disbelief !! This idea that other teams can or will follow the Patsie script of last season, is complete and utter B-S. The chances of another team finding the 15 or 20 right mix of overachieving freeagents at a low salary number,, are a 100 million to 1 !!!!! What the Patriots did last season was a complete aberration.. I will agree that Belichick has a great coaching staff assembled, but if you factor in the Patriots schedule,the minimal amount of injuries in the second half of the season, and yes the assinine freebe call against the Raiders, how can anyone think that this team should have a chance to repeat ? Yes the Patriots have a S-B trophy,, it's how they got there to recieve it that should be remembered.. Marino1983:lol: :lol:

we have 9 of 11 starters on returning so that is a good thing. The OL and the running game c/b problems with lots of new faces, but as of now we just added Searcy who may or may not start and will have a "new" LT and new starting TE and of course a new RB. That could take a while to gel, but character or talent will not be a factor with the O line

I do not think we have added many more players this off-season than we have the past two years. The difference this year is that we're picking up "better" players than we usually have.

The Patriots may have been an aberration, but the Ravens used the same recipe in 2000.

I know good players are needed, and a lot of luck, but you can't tell me that there is nothing to his statement. Besides, I can think of a great defense that played by those same rules...I believe they were called the "No Names"

Chemistry is huge, but is more the coaches job to make the players gel than it is disruptive to bring in new players. The Pats brought in 11 free agents last season. The difference is the Pats coaching staff made sure that their players played their hearts out for 4 quarters every game, and we will just say well the Dolphins didn't. The other factor is luck mainly in the form of injuries. Sure the Pats lost their starting QB last year, but the same 22 players were on the feild for the most part of the final 14 reg season games and the 3 post season games. When your missing 3 starters on each side of the line your chances just aren't good. It is very rare that a super bowl champ is also a team the has to battle the injury bug.

no doubt Dajesus - injuries are the #1 in who wins at least half the games in the NFL. Which is why depth is soooo important and difficult to achieve. Last year, we could have afforded to lose a TE or a QB or a DE or a CB or a S, but we lost LT's and DT's in bunches and we did not have enough depth to overcome that.

Originally posted by dolphan39
no doubt Dajesus - injuries are the #1 in who wins at least half the games in the NFL. Which is why depth is soooo important and difficult to achieve. Last year, we could have afforded to lose a TE or a QB or a DE or a CB or a S, but we lost LT's and DT's in bunches and we did not have enough depth to overcome that.
I think that the rest of this offseason could be and should be on how to strengthen, find the right 5 guy's to gel, and stress the importance of finishing plays on the O-L ! In alot of games last season,, you saw guy's standing around with their thumbs up their butt watching L- Smith get tackled for a 2yd loss or an infrequent 2yd gain --- a good offensive line has players going after people (not watching their rb), and they don't stop utill the whistle is blown . Marino1983:yell:

On that note how about the blitzes that no one on the o-line would account for. In the last 3-4 games it must have happend 6 times that a lb blitzed from Jay's blindside and every oone just watched him go bye. I doubt things like this happen next season unless the injuries keep piling up. When you have that many guys playing that aren't the usual starters you have to expect it to happen.

I do not think we have added many more players this off-season than we have the past two years. The difference this year is that we're picking up "better" players than we usually have.

Amen Blitz...hit the nail on the head. I think if we can get Wilkins or Morton (big if on Morton) then we can address everything else on draft day(s). If the draft is as deep as they say on O lineman, then we should be able to get 1 or 2 solid guys for depth and add a LB or DL. That should just about set us.

here's the scoop

on the local boys. maybe a possible upgrade for the o line?:confused:

The Pittsburgh Steelers matched the Cleveland Browns' offer for offensive lineman Oliver Ross.

Cleveland's offer was for three years.

But the Steelers' move means they are one step closer to parting with Rich Tylski, the team's starting right guard the past two seasons.

Ross, a third-year player and restricted free agent, signed the offer with the Browns on Tuesday. The Steelers had until March 19 to match the offer or accept a fifth-round draft pick as compensation from the Browns.

Tylski, a right guard, missed six starts with ankle and rib injuries last season, and played with pain in most other games. The Steelers have used Tylski almost exclusively at guard since obtaining him in 2000 from the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Back
Top Bottom