Let's Face It..The OL..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let's Face It..The OL.....

iLLuZiOnZ1313

Fireman Ed Sucks Sucks Sucks!
Reaction score
I'm a die hard fan like many of you and yes i'm one of the many who always expects too much from the Dolphins.
But seriously now...let's face it....our OL this year is no better then last year's. Yes it's full of young and gifted (i pray) talent.....but this year is not happening.
Vernon Carey may be an upgrade (along with many risks involved). But along side Seth McKinney, Greg Jerman / Taylor Whitley and possibly John St. Clair.....come on now. How is this yera an upgrade to last year's??????
I support Rick Spielman 100% and think he has done an OUTSTANDING job so far but our OL needs help. I'm aware that the offseason isn't completely over yet and I'm aware that there are still players yet to be cut by other teams, but I'm just curious to know if any other fans support me on this.
Thanks.

I guess we'll find out, and I love your positive attitude!

Oliver...

I think it's in much better shape then it was last year.

-Wade Smith should be better with the experience
-Jeno James is a clear big improvement at LG
-Seth McKinney should have been starting last year if it weren't for Wanny's loyalty to vets and clear inability to judge talent
-RG competition. Yates/Whitley/St Claire/Jerman. One of these guys has to be serviceable which is all Todd Perry was. Could get a surprise gem here.
-Carey could be a mainstay at RT for the next 10 years. At worse he's average like Todd Wade but a heck of a lot cheaper then a $10 million signing bonus.

"let's face it....our OL this year is no better then last year's"

I don't know that...you don't know that...nobody knows that. Not only do we have to wait until they put on the pads to see what we have, but it's obvious what Spielman's goal was for the o-line this offseason...

They are younger..
They are stronger..
They are less expensive..
They are more athletic..

What else do you want?

iLLuZiOnZ1313 said:
I'm a die hard fan like many of you and yes i'm one of the many who always expects too much from the Dolphins.
But seriously now...let's face it....our OL this year is no better then last year's. Yes it's full of young and gifted (i pray) talent.....but this year is not happening.
Vernon Carey may be an upgrade (along with many risks involved). But along side Seth McKinney, Greg Jerman / Taylor Whitley and possibly John St. Clair.....come on now. How is this yera an upgrade to last year's??????
I support Rick Spielman 100% and think he has done an OUTSTANDING job so far but our OL needs help. I'm aware that the offseason isn't completely over yet and I'm aware that there are still players yet to be cut by other teams, but I'm just curious to know if any other fans support me on this.
Thanks.

...and you know this because? Oh wait, you have no clue. :shakeno:

iLLuZiOnZ1313 said:
Thanks.

I think we will be better than last year in terms of the O Line but that isnt really saying that much.

I think our O Line will still struggle, but with 34 back there he can make at least 1 guy miss. So if the O Line can just do OK, Ricky will handle the rest :).

Not sure how you can say that....

LT: Wade Smith is a year wiser and 20 pounds heavier. Check
LG: Jeno James is the new starting guard. Check
C: McKinney replaces an aging, inneffective Tim Ruddy. hes much quicker and probabyl stronger at the point of attack. Check
RG: We have a few canddates to replace the awful Todd Perry. At worst, this will be no worse than last year
RT: Carey is an upgrade over Todd Wade. Hes massive, powerful and athletic.

Plus we have a wonderful prospect in Damien Mcintosh coming back at midseason. Funny thing is, had we traded down a few picks and THEN drafted Carey, Im sure many detractors of our OL would suddenly be singing the Line's praises...

:roflmao:
iLLuZiOnZ1313 said:
Thanks.

Your comments are exemplary and are indicative of your firm grasp of the OL situation. I elect you... Mayor of Toolville.

The line is already tons better than last year.

Wade Smith will be better simply due to experience.

Jeno James is an upgrade over Jamie Nails, by quite a large margin.

Seth McKinney should have started last year, and Dave admitted that it was a mistake to not start him.

Greg Jerman was better than Todd Perry last year. Look no further than his play against Washington to see that. Taylor Whitley has had a great offseason program and has trimmed a lot of the fat he had last season off. He's a bigger, stronger player than he was last season.

Vernon Carey has better athleticism and feet than Todd Wade. You won't see him struggle in pass pro like Wade did.

The OL probably will not show improvement over the 2003 line for the first couple games, because there are so many new parts learning to play together. However, I think that they'll start looking better by game 5 or so. As much as I like the infusion of talent and youth, it's going to take some time for the unit to come together as a group. My recommendation would be for everyone to be patient with the line, optimists and pessimists alike.

Back
Top Bottom