Lets get Alex Smith | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lets get Alex Smith

If Saban really thinks Smith can be a franchise QB then he has to draft him.We wont get another chance for some time.If he is uncertain then its best to trade down.I dont like taking a RB at that high a pick.

arsenal said:
if you read the first post he said look at what a rookie QB did for pittsburg, blah blah... thats what i was commenting on...

but you want a QB who will develop in lets say a generous time of 3 years just as our defense totally falls apart? a rookie RB could last us 8 years, your saying we need more than that to develop a winning team? damn

first bit, fair enough, not a personal dig at you, just illustrating my point about wanting a qb over rb.

as for our defence - i think saban is in the process of rebuilding that anyway, as will likely be seen come draft day.

we're not one or two pieces away from the team that will compete at the highest level for years to come. this is not the time for a quick fix.

and in a year thats as deep in quality at rb as this one i see no reason to splurge probably (and hopefully) the highest pick we will have for years to come on one.

well personally yes people think that there are those players you can get in the 3rd or 4th round that you think will be successful, but most of the time, they wont... thats why they are in the 3rd and 4th round... we can gambe on a 3rd round back but the chances he'll be a solid starter is very slim... especially with our makeshift line...

also i think you can get a franchise QB in mid 1st rounds of most drafts... lets see
2004 losman at 22 (is he a franchise QB, we'll see but id take him)
2003 boller and grossman where taken after 19 (again too soon to tell with them)
2002 ramsey last pick of 1st round (again who knows but ogod prospect)
2001 brees 1st pick of 2nd round (i think teams would like him)
2000 pennington at 18, whehter you likehim or not hes a good starter in the NFL
1999 culpepper at 11, thats kinda high but a 6-10 season can get you there

etc... so what im saying is people are like you cant pass up on a this opportunity we'll never get a chance to get a franchise QB, but i think you can land one in the mid first round usually... so if we do get that franchise back then find out our QB situation isn't working (cause whether you wanna admit it or not we might already have our QB for the next 5 years) we would obviously have a poor year and have a mid 1st round pick to get a good QB next year...

and dont say next years QB class is weak, people always step up during the season as a stand out prospect, kinda like ya boy alex smith, no one was really worried about him before this season started... last year he was a 2nd team MWC quarterback, but no one was expecting him to be a 1st round pick befor ethis season started... but he climbed with a great year... as wil lmany prospects next college season

damn that was long but just random thoughts, but im really sick of this debate so ima leave it alone after this, haha we'll jsut have to wait and seeeeeeeeee

arsenal said:
well personally yes people think that there are those players you can get in the 3rd or 4th round that you think will be successful, but most of the time, they wont... thats why they are in the 3rd and 4th round... we can gambe on a 3rd round back but the chances he'll be a solid starter is very slim... especially with our makeshift line...

also i think you can get a franchise QB in mid 1st rounds of most drafts... lets see
2003 boller and grossman where taken after 19 (again too soon to tell with them)

etc... so what im saying is people are like you cant pass up on a this opportunity we'll never get a chance to get a franchise QB, but i think you can land one in the mid first round usually... so if we do get that franchise back then find out our QB situation isn't working (cause whether you wanna admit it or not we might already have our QB for the next 5 years) we would obviously have a poor year and have a mid 1st round pick to get a good QB next year...

and dont say next years QB class is weak, people always step up during the season as a stand out prospect, kinda like ya boy alex smith, no one was really worried about him before this season started... last year he was a 2nd team MWC quarterback, but no one was expecting him to be a 1st round pick befor ethis season started... but he climbed with a great year... as wil lmany prospects next college season

damn that was long but just random thoughts, but im really sick of this debate so ima leave it alone after this, haha we'll jsut have to wait and seeeeeeeeee

One of the big reasons top picks at QB bust is because they are thrown to the wolves long before they are ready. Some teams feel this is necessary due to their draft status. Many of the QBs you've listed were given time to develop as back-ups. This greatly enhanced their chances to succeed.

If we take a QB and give him time to develop, there is no reason he should not develop into at least an upper-echelon starter.

Arsenal, good post. I agree with you. How about that...LOL:D
arsenal said:

Saban said today in the paper that first round QBs have 30% chance of making it. Sorry if this has been reported already.

tartan im in the same boat, mad that im at work while people i know are off for good friday, haha the city (manhattan) is like dead

thepoolboy said:
One of the big reasons top picks at QB bust is because they are thrown to the woves long before they are ready. Some teams feel this is necessary due to their draft status. Many of the QBs you've listed were given time to develop as back-ups. This greatly enhanced their chances to succeed.

If we take a QB and give him time to develop, there is no reason he should not develop into at least an upper-echelon starter.

i think sitting on the bench is the most overrated thing to development... regardless of how long you are on the bench its still gonna take some adjustments once you get on the field... some will develop some wont, i dont think its much about how long they watch from the sidelines... i do think though that teams dont give players time anymore to develop though... nowadays thye want good right away i guess its cause of the high salaries they have to pay these guys, but look at brees 3 mediocre season and they were ready to replace him... harringtons running out of time, etc....

but some will get it, some wont regardless of time to develop or time holding clip boards... or so i think...

but what do i know?

CrunchTime said:
If Saban really thinks Smith can be a franchise QB then he has to draft him.We wont get another chance for some time.If he is uncertain then its best to trade down.I dont like taking a RB at that high a pick.

I agree (of course), especially given our propensity of breaking RBs. We damn near ran out last year.

It's been years since we broke a QB. ;)

arsenal said:
tartan im in the same boat, mad that im at work while people i know are off for good friday, haha the city (manhattan) is like dead

same here.... gonna sneak of to the boozer once everyone else has left tho :evil:

I would love to draft Smith and if we get a 2nd rounder for Pat Surtain, i'd love to pick up Marion Barber with that pick.

CrunchTime said:
I dont know if its a stunt to fool other teams but this is what Saban had to say about drafting a QB.

And what are the stats of a bust at RB?? Kijana Carter? Curtis Enis? BLair thomas, Garrison Hearst, Greg Hill, Napolean Kaufman, James Stewart, Lawrence Phillips, Robert Edwards, John Avery, Thomas Jones, Ron Dayne, Trung Canidate, William Green........

It seems like there is equal number of draft busts at any position... so why not draft the one that can have the biggest upside...and that is QB.

BSQX4 said:
Saban said today in the paper that first round QBs have 30% chance of making it. Sorry if this has been reported already.

I know. I don't understand why Saban said that. First, he's giving away his position, second he's not keeping his options open. Other stories say everyone at the league meeting has decided the Dolphins would take Ronnie Brown. At least he could have put up a smoke screen for Cleveland and said we're taking Smith so they could trade up with us and give us a third or something. If we don't select Smith, then we should trade down.

Back
Top Bottom