Let's Look At It This Way | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let's Look At It This Way

BSQX4

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Last year, going into the regular season I had a very positive feeling about the team. I really thought we would win our division and I believed we would sweep the Pats. Other than Ricky this is basically very similar to the team we had last year except we've added talent to a very poor o-line, we've added some depth at linebacker and cornerback and we have added some quality to our special teams. We've also added some very good position coaches like Sullivan and Trestman and that's going to pay dividends and we have a new Q.B. that could be ready to step in and play great against the Titans on opening day. Rosterwise we still will be adding some wide recievers like McCardell, Freeman, maybe both. When the year ended last year there were some things we needed to improve. First order of business was Q.B. and we've brought in a young guy that throws a great pass, I've been to enough practices to tell everyone that first hand. The o-line sucked so we cleaned house except for Seth and Wade and brought in Jeno James, who I think will be a leader and Vernen Carey who likely will help us this year at right guard while developing into our right tackle of the future. We needed a reciever and got unlucky with Bostons injury but he now needs to be replaced in a dynamic way and if we have to spend some money than we better just bite the bullet and do it. Running back at this point in time is lacking in talent and I am hoping somebody falls our way and we're smart enough to grab him. So bottom line we're better in many areas now than we were at the end of last year and I felt very good about our team going into last season. I say grab McCardell and keep our eyes peeled for a running back that can come in here and help us this year. This off season we were handed a big lemon and now we have to make lemonade. With a little luck, a little courage and a little smarts we can pull it off.

I agree with you in most of your points. I do think it is pretty much the same team as last season just without Ricky. I was fine when he left. Of course initially I was pissed, but then thought about and with our passing game (chambers/Boston/Feeley/McMike) having more talent, I thought we would be ok. Now that Boston is gone for the year, we need to bring in another WR like Keenan McCardell to compliment Chambers. If we do happen to get KM, then I think we will be fine. Lets not forget that we went 10-6 last season, and could of won two more (texans and Pats at home). Losing Ricky could actually help us be less predictable, but losing DB sucked. Our D is better than last season, our Oline is better (cant get worse than last season) we have a talented young QB who just needs some playing time, and, this is where I disagree with BSQX4, we do have a good backfield. Travis Minor has talent, and with the help of a descent Oline, he will prove that. He does however need Morris to be productive and pitch in. So IMO, we are going to be fine, and you never know, all this crap in the offseason could motivate the team to be more hungry. This is the first season in a long time that we are not going in as one of the top teams in the NFL, we also have an easier schedule than years past. So, don't lose your spirits, we are going to surprise people this season.

With Ricky being 34% or so of the offense, that's a little different than having the same team. I do agree that the panic button mustn't be pushed, but I do STRONGLY feel that moves need to be made(WR).

I know Ricky accounted for a very large portion of our offense, but you have to admit, we were very predictable with RW. In the two seasons w/Ricky, we didn't make the playoffs. In my mind, that offsets his large contribution to the offense. We do need another WR in the worst way, more so than we need a RB. If we sign Keenan M., we don't allow the opposition to key Chambers and take away our deep threat, and we also prevent them from lining up eight men in the box to stop the run. We NEED another WR. Not just any WR, but one other teams must respect. Boston was that guy, but now he's gone.
With Ricky being out, Travis Minor and Sammy Morris will do fine just as long as the line opens up some holes, and that we have a good passing game. I believe if we start Feeley, by the time we play NE he will be a very nice upgrade over Fiedler. We will finally see something we haven't in over 4 years, a consistend deep passing game.

Mass, I HOPE you're right about the backfield. I'm a big fan of Minor, I just worry about the pounding over the long haul. Sammy Morris had chances to shine in Buffalo and for some reason he didn't but he looks pretty good out there at the practices I've been to. Wouldn't it be great if Leonard Henry stepped it up and became a really good back that we could depend on for this season. This is his chance. He needs to get over the injury bug thats kept him from performing. We drafted this guy for a reason now I want to see results. C'mon Leonard, turn into Travis Henry!!!

Leanord Henry does seem to get hurt often. Every time I read about him it's almost always because he got hurt. Only once did I read something positive. He was POW in NFLE. Then, he got hurt.

Minor will be able to carry the load. With Morris helping out, he'll do fine. Let's not forget that there are, and have been other "small" backs in the NFL. Minor just needs a chance.

You are correct about your assessment of Leanord Henry... His durability is in question... He has alot of upside when healthy... IMO we need a running back that we can depend on...

BSQX4 said:
Last year, going into the regular season I had a very positive feeling about the team. I really thought we would win our division and I believed we would sweep the Pats. Other than Ricky this is basically very similar to the team we had last year except we've added talent to a very poor o-line, we've added some depth at linebacker and cornerback and we have added some quality to our special teams. We've also added some very good position coaches like Sullivan and Trestman and that's going to pay dividends and we have a new Q.B. that could be ready to step in and play great against the Titans on opening day. Rosterwise we still will be adding some wide recievers like McCardell, Freeman, maybe both. When the year ended last year there were some things we needed to improve. First order of business was Q.B. and we've brought in a young guy that throws a great pass, I've been to enough practices to tell everyone that first hand. The o-line sucked so we cleaned house except for Seth and Wade and brought in Jeno James, who I think will be a leader and Vernen Carey who likely will help us this year at right guard while developing into our right tackle of the future. We needed a reciever and got unlucky with Bostons injury but he now needs to be replaced in a dynamic way and if we have to spend some money than we better just bite the bullet and do it. Running back at this point in time is lacking in talent and I am hoping somebody falls our way and we're smart enough to grab him. So bottom line we're better in many areas now than we were at the end of last year and I felt very good about our team going into last season. I say grab McCardell and keep our eyes peeled for a running back that can come in here and help us this year. This off season we were handed a big lemon and now we have to make lemonade. With a little luck, a little courage and a little smarts we can pull it off.

you guys are gonna have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG season.

if feeley is better than fiedler, if freeman is better than thompson(or newsom,tolver, or if thompson plays better), and our commitee can average more than 3.5 yards per carry, we are better, our o-line might be the same or better, but if any of those things happen we are better.

Back
Top Bottom