Let's talk TE's. Who needs one, who doesn't. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let's talk TE's. Who needs one, who doesn't.

I don't see a TE going in the first round. I can easily see a run on the position starting once the first guy goes off the board though. This is a deep class, but the difference between the second and third round could be the difference between Dallas Goedert and Ian Thomas, which is significant. I think we have to draft a TE at 42. It's an absolute must.

Gesicki is really growing on me. He's 1a/1b with Goedert to me. Hurst's age puts him third but I'd be happy with him. Gotta come away with one of those guys on day two, IMO. Tannehill has an improved line, solid group of receivers, and a better scheme fit at RB. All we're missing is a tight end to bust this offense wide open.

It's been too long since we've had a legit receiving threat at the position. Charles Clay was a one year tease.
I understand what you are saying about taking a TE in the 1st round, but I see this as an economist - supply vs demand... Lots of teams need a good TE and there are so few in the league. This will force the TE needy teams to consider going higher than they would like. Don't be surprised when Hurst gets taken in the 1st round. It is basic supply and demand.
BTW - In the year that Gronk got drafted we had the Supercoach with the super ego as our EVP and his GM, (Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland) calling the shots at the Dolphins on Draft Day. I seem to recall someone on FH personally suggested to Parcells that he needed to consider drafting Gronk in the 2nd round because his upside was so high. Bill thought this was idiotic because under Parcells Draft rule 6.19.24 you never draft a TE in the 1st or 2nd round. Well Bill Belichick also knew the Parcells Draft rules and took him in the 2nd round and that turned out pretty well for the Patriots.

I dislike Parcells and Belichek.......i respect Belichek's greatness. I never wanted anything to do with Parcells.

Pat White is the reason i never say never.

Gesicki's 41" vertical is the elephant in the room. Nobody's talking about him, they're all poker faced...He won't last past round 1, IMO.

Even Walterfootball has us taking the first TE in the second round...Hayden Hurst? My ass!!!

If Edmunds is off the board by 11, I'd drop as many times as I could right before the Saints and draft Gesicki mid to late first.

Gesicki is 6'8? How about 6'5?

And I wouldn't worry too much about signing a 25 year old rookie since they never see the second contract in Miami anyway.

Hurst is 24, turning 25 in August. It's not a big deal if he's your 2nd round pick. It is a big deal if your taking him in the first.

Last guy that old that I can remember going in the late first was Danny Watkins, the OG who went to Philly. That was a disastrous selection but primarily because Watkins sucked.

If your an analytics guy, his age doesn't matter. If your an old school guy, it really matters.

Right now, Dallas Goedert is my guy at 42.

Mike Gesicki is interesting but Saquan Barkley is going to be a legend and what are the odds two Penn State players are great in one draft class? Usually takes them 10-15 years to produce 2 quality NFLers.

A comment I made in another thread got me thinking about where the TE's might come off the board and who may or may not be inclined to consider the position. I realistically started my breakdown with the Rams at 23. Scoring them on a 1-10 scale, 10 being more likely, 1 least. OJ Howard, David Njoku and Evan Engram are all better prospects than anything 2018 has to offer so I think it's possible no TE's go in the first.

23. Los Angeles Rams - Tyler Higbee, 2016 4th round pick. Need is there but value likely isn't.
Score: 2

24. Carolina Panthers - Greg Olsen, awesome player but one eye on retirement already. Value still not great.

25. Tennessee Titans - Delanie Walker, 2017 3rd round pick Jonnu Smith (*FIU*).

26. Atlanta Falcons - Austin Hooper, 2016 3 round pick. Matt Ryan rarely looks his way. I like this guy as a no.2 if he were available.
Score: 3

27. New Orleans Saints. No one. Biggest need so far by a team at TE.
Score: 5

28. Pittsburgh Steelers. Jesse James. Servicable player but they've always gotten more from the TE.
Score: 4

29. Jacksonville Jaguars. Signed Austin-Sefarian Jenkins this week. They could use another, not in the 1st.

30. Minnesota Vikings - Kyle Rudolph has rebounded nicely not missing a game the last 3 years and putting up 20 TD's. They don't have many holes but would be better served with an OL than TE. Still possible.

31. New England Patriots - Drunkowski. The end will come quick for this scum bag. Belichek knows the value of a TE better than any NFL coach. Needs might keep them from being able to take Drunk's replacement.

32. Philadelphia Eagles - Zach Ertz. Like New England, Philly loves the TE spot. They lost Burton to Chicago but are more in the market for a blocking TE. No 2nd round pick means no TE in the first.

33. Cleveland Browns - David Njoku. 2017 1st round pick with a buttload of talent. I wouldn't be shocked if they decided to use the 33rd pick to select the draft's first TE and bolster that offense even more. LT became a big need after Thomas retired so a 2nd TE is luxury. Having picks 35 and 64 makes anything possible with this team.
Score 3

34. New York Giants - Evan Engram, same boat as Cleveland but without the excess picks. Not gonna happen.
Score: 1

35. Cleveland Browns - See 33.

36. Indianapolis Colts - Jack Doyle. Solid player, they don't have to take a TE but with the extra picks in tow, getting Luck help is always on the agenda. Arguably the NFL's worst roster needs everything.

37. Indianapolis Colts - Look up.

38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - OJ Howard. Nuff said.
Score: 1

39. Chicago Bears - 2017 2nd round pick Adam Shaheen, Trey Burton and Dion Sims. Very solid group.
Score: 1 (Should probably be a 0 but never say never)

40. Denver Broncos - 2017 5th round (should've been 2nd round) pick Jake Butt, Todd Huereman. Solid group that could use bolstering for sure. Butt has potential and they probably want to see where he's at post ACL injury.

41. Oakland Raiders - Jared Cook, 30 years old. 54 receptions, 688 yards, 12.7 per but only 2 TD's. Might have to take a closer look at some of Jon Gruden's teams to figure his TE usage. He had Ricky Dudley in Oakland and then brought him to Tampa along with Ken Dilger. By his third year in Tampa Dilger and Dudley were still his top 2 TE's.

42. Miami Dolphins - Finally, the Miami Dolphins get a TE. Who though?

43-64. If you need a TE, get ahead of Miami.

I am curious to know if anyone has a better read on any of these teams and their TE situations.

Obviously we won't take a TE at 42 if he's not worth the pick but I am ok with moving up to get the one we want.

A+ for effort but haven't you heard??? We are 100% committed to BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE on the "board" so... Unless R2 pick 42 features TE BPA -- look elsewhere.

Unless ??? stated philosophy of BPA is BS!

You would be hard pressed to find any coach/gm that doesnt think every player they select is BPA.

Our need at TE just happens to correspond nicely with this year's class. As does our first round need of an OLB, with the small chance of a hall of fame guard as possibility.

Eric Ebron signed with the Colts tonight. 2 years 15 million. Doesnt look like picks 36 or 37 will be a TE. Colts are sandwiched around all 3 teams (4 combined picks) that drafted TEs in the first last year.....and Chicago who i gave the lowest score too.

Denver and Oakland present a problem. Chicago needs picks, won't take much to get to 39 from 42.

Book it, Miami selects a TE 39th overall.

I'm not saying that AJ Derby is a pro bowler and the second coming of Christ... But he has great potentials and might surprise a lot folks

Watch "Star of the Week: TE A.J. Derby" on YouTube

Hurst is 24, turning 25 in August. It's not a big deal if he's your 2nd round pick. It is a big deal if your taking him in the first.

Last guy that old that I can remember going in the late first was Danny Watkins, the OG who went to Philly. That was a disastrous selection but primarily because Watkins sucked.

If your an analytics guy, his age doesn't matter. If your an old school guy, it really matters.

Right now, Dallas Goedert is my guy at 42.

Mike Gesicki is interesting but Saquan Barkley is going to be a legend and what are the odds two Penn State players are great in one draft class? Usually takes them 10-15 years to produce 2 quality NFLers.

Old school codger checking in, and you’re right, in that I have a hard time overlooking Hurst’s age as a factor. By the time his rookie contract is up, he’ll be almost 30 years old.

He’s arguably the most well rounded TE in this class, but the age thing knocks him down a peg from Gesiski/Goedert for me. I have that monstrous duo running closely together, and I’d be elated with either one of them. Gesicki is my boy though, and he’s just a physical freak show that I believe has an extremely bright future at the TE position.

Just thought about Dallas Goedert and the infamous Joe Dirt. How cool would that be when he’s scoring TD’s on the Patriots: “That’s our man, Dirt, out there. Gooooooo, Dirt!”

Like I said before though, I’ll be content and happy with any of the top four TE’s in this class. If there’s any position on the Dolphins that we’re sorely needing fresh blood, youth, and upper echelon athleticism - it’s the tight end position. We have to strike that off our check list in this draft, and early on.

I rank the TE’s strictly on talent

1. Hurst
2. Godert
3. Andrews
4. Thomas
5. Gesiki

I really don’t get the love for Gesiki is it because he is 6”8 ? I just don’t see him as a special player or even a top 50 pick.

If you are ranking strictly on talent than Gesiki is #1 all day long with Hurst/Godert second.

Gesicki measured 6-5 1/2, weighed 252 pounds, ran a 4.54 in the 40-yard dash, did 22 reps in the bench press and had a 41 1/2-inch vertical. That's talent....seem stretching talent.

Falcons, Saints and Steelers are on similar paths and could fall in love with any of the big 3 TE's. Those 3 veteran laden teams would be more inclined to disregard a 25 year old rookie as each of them are in win now mode. Especially NO and Pitt. However, all three of those teams have above average or well above average skill position players already and have needs on the OL and Defense.

I am really hoping to see Mason Rudolph and Lamar Jackson come off the board between 20-40.

Random mock draft: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...ft-giants-trade-down-then-up-as-qbs-go-1-2-3/

Picks of interest:

11. Da'Ron Payne (Miami)
12. Tremaine Edmunds (SF via trade)
27. Dallas Goedert (NO)
28. Lamar Jackson (Pitt)
40. Mason Rudolph (Den)
41. Orlando Brown (Oak)
42. Mike Gesicki (Miami)

Last edited:
More complete randomness:

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018...-round-projections-after-blockbuster-trade/2/

11. Baker Mayfield (Puke). Derwin James and Vita Vea on the board.
42. Mike Gesicki. First TE off the board.

https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2018/round2/

11. Vita Vea
12. Josh Allen (Buf)
21. Roquan Smith (Cin) Lowest spot I think I've ever seen Smith.
32. Mark Andrews (Phi) I don't think so. Losing credit here.
42. Isiah Oliver (Miami) You can never have enough corners but...
43. Mike Gesicki (NE) Ouch.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php

One of the worst overall mock's I think I've seen.

11. Baker Mayfield (Minkah Fitzpatrick on the board). LOL.
42. Hayden Hurst (Miami) 1st TE off the board.
50. Mike Gesicki (Dal)
61. Mark Andrews (Jax)

http://www.draftutopia.com/2018nflmockdraftround2.html

This website sucks. I am certainly not going to knock anyone's effort for putting these mock's together. But this one is brutal on the eyes.

11. Will Hernandez (Mia) I love OL as much as anyone but no.
29. Mike Gesicki (Jax)
42. Mark Andrews (Mia)
71. Dallas Goedert (Den)
73. Frank Ginda (Mia) MLB San Jose State. No idea who he is.

https://nflspinzone.com/2018/03/18/nfl-mock-draft-2018-post-free-agency-3-rounds/12/

DON'T click on this one. Each pick is on a different page, I'll post the relevant one's. Quenten Nelson 2nd, Baker Mayfield 3rd, Denzel Ward 4th overall.

11. Vita Vea (Mia)
12. Josh Rosen (Buf) I don't want to see this, although...
15. Josh Allen (Ari) Really? Both Josh's on the board = Miami makes a trade down.
23. Mike Gesicki (LAR) I can see them thinking about this. Not many holes on the roster.
27. Mark Andrews (NO)
42. Leighton Vander Esch (Mia)
46. Hayden Hurst (Cin) First time I've seen the Bengals mocked a TE early.
52. Dallas Goedert (Bal)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...matt-millers-7-round-predictions-post-combine

11. Josh Rosen (Mia)
15. Baker Mayfield (Ari)
29. Dallas Goedert (Jax)
58. Mike Gesicki (Atl)
85. Hayden Hurst (Car)
91. Mark Andrews (NO)

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...ft-palm-beach-posts-jason-lieser-version-2-0/

Let's see what a PBP writer has to say...No round 2.

11. Tremaine Edmunds (Mia)
26. Dallas Goedert (Atl)
29. Hayden Hurst (Jax)

Last edited:
I am going to keep talking about TE's until the Dolphins draft one I like. This better not be a thread I start again next year.

Dang, didn't know there was a 60 minute edit window. LOL. Window just shut on me but I'd like to keep doing this. I can entertain myself for quite a while. Plus it started snowing up here, likely off tomorrow.

What I am finding is that all 4 teams in the NFC South are the primary candidates to upgrade their TE position in the first two rounds, along with Jacksonville.

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Mock-Draft

Another 1 rounder but what a round it is.

11. Quenten Nelson - Ding ding ding. Winner winner winner. If only.
27. Dallas Goedert (NO).

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/03/mike-taglieres-nfl-mock-draft-2018-two-rounds-3-0/

11. Connor Williams (Mia) He could be a good player but see pick 14.
14. Tremaine Edmunds (GB)
20. Derwin James (Det)
22. Josh Allen (Buf)
28. Mason Rudolph (Pit)
42. Dallas Goedert (Mia)
52. Hayden Hurst (Bal)

https://www.mystatesman.com/sports/...-nfl-draft-order-2018/q7kVCW7kxi6TkJcAWyuJEI/

A few one rounders on this site:

11. Roquan Smith (Mia)
15. Josh Rosen (Ari)
31. Mark Andrews (NE)

11. Da'Ron Payne (Mia)
12. Tremaine Edmunds (SF)
27. Dallas Goedert (NO)

11. Vita Vea
12. Josh Allen (Buf)
15. Baker Mayfield (Ari)
32. Dallas Goedert (Phi)

Last edited: