Levon Kirkland | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Levon Kirkland

Unless he steps his game up TREMENDOUSLY this year, I would expect Rogers to be gone next year. He does make some pretty good money, and is not really producing up to that salary level IMO.

If we had more cap room THIS year, I think we would have most likely looked to bring in a top rookie or FA to really challenge him.

Whoever said Kirkland isn't a good fit for our team is right. He is too big and slow to be truely effective in our system. Look at all the effective LBs in Jimmy's system, Kirkland just doesn't fit the profile. The 'Hawks certainly aren't in cap hell, and his release should be looked at with a HUGE red flag.

He's not getting any younger(or smaller according to one guy) or faster and i think he would just be a waste of time.

He is a recognizeable name, and sometimes people just jump at names and want to throw all kinds of $$$ at them, but by doing that you screw yourself. WannSpiel are doing a fine job.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
Whoever said Kirkland isn't a good fit for our team is right. He is too big and slow to be truely effective in our system. Look at all the effective LBs in Jimmy's system, Kirkland just doesn't fit the profile. The 'Hawks certainly aren't in cap hell, and his release should be looked at with a HUGE red flag.

He's not getting any younger(or smaller according to one guy) or faster and i think he would just be a waste of time.

He is a recognizeable name, and sometimes people just jump at names and want to throw all kinds of $$$ at them, but by doing that you screw yourself. WannSpiel are doing a fine job.

I agree with this assessment..if Kirkland was still playing top notch football, no way the Hawks get rid of him...not them of all teams..they need as much talent as possible..so he's much have decline.

I think I shall do a little investigating on him at some seahag boards. I'll let you know what the hag fans think of him.

From what I have been able to see at a couple of hag boards, it does seem that the hags FO was not pleased that he came to camp at almost 300 lbs. (See, Alonzo Mayes).

They do have a young backup that they feel is ready to replace him. Kirkland was productive last year though. He was third on the team in tackles, and also brought much needed toughness and leadership to the team.

At 33, he is clearly on the downside of his career, but could probably be effective in the right system for a couple more years.
He'll probably sign with the faidahs. lol. They always like those old guys.

Re: kirkland

Originally posted by jaxdolfan
Kirkland is not a good fit for this team.

No way we can move Zach outside. He is the leader of our defense. Kirkland will not even be on our radar.
those my thoughts exactly. Levon sounds good on paper but our LBs are required to be faster, not huge. He is solid and if we did not have Zach (g-d help us), then , maybe, but the only LB we would sign w/b a young LB with more upside potential than one of our 3 backups.

Yeah I was just gonna say that if Levon Kirkland gets hired by anyone it will probably be at or close to the minimum. He's not what he use to be and the guy can't keep his weight down. He's not even close to fast and he's a TERRIBLE fit for our defense at ANY linebacker position. He's exactly the opposite of what we need in our system, he's slow-footed and packs a wallop. We need fast guys who can move around.

Zach Thomas is too small to play strongside linebacker, but I could see him making an ok transition to the weakside. The question is though, why would you do that? Unless its an injury issue similar to Daryl Gardener being moved to defensive end, then it would be useless to move Zach from his natural position. He's already playing at a position that is basically taylor-made for his talents.

Back
Top Bottom