Limited Contact in TC hurting team? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Limited Contact in TC hurting team?

Dude

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone think the limited contact in TC has anything to do w/ the fumbles and general though time the starters had vs. Bucs? If you think about it, this was the first time that the first string had any real contact w/ tackling since last year. No real contact in TC (even less then normal), everything 3/4 speed or less, and no tackling for the first team vs Titans.

Maybe Dave is babying them too much by restricting the contact to save injuries?? Or maybe they will start slower but be able to get it on course in time for the season and still have some gas in the tank for Dec and beyond???

fumbles......doesnt really matter......PRESEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U dont killl yourself in the first preseason game c'mon....I predict th BUCS will run out of gas!!! THEY ARE PLAYING evry preseason game like they are trying to prove something....WHY???they are the world champs i mean CHUCKIE is getting carried away and honestly our injuries are important but its just because of lack of contact as long as KONRAD will be OK its no problem....PERRY is important but that wont break our season...KONRAD and simmons worry me but they are probably going to be fine....PRESEASON DOESNT MEAN SH%#...DONT STRESS OVER FRIDAY GUYS!

If you lined the Bucs up against a highschool team they would of used the whole book.

It's just the way Gruden is. It's not a bad thing at all, but that's how he is.

See this is the problem w/ pre-season. Peeps tend to over analyze every little move since there really isn't anything major going on now. I'd rather see losses in pre-season so they can have the problem areas exposed. Correct those problems and make the regular season a success. Wait a sec, isn't that what pre-season is for?

We had 5 fumbles and Bucs had 3. It wasn't any of our starters that fumbled (I don't think) but the backups. Knight did force a fumble though :evil:

Originally posted by Dude
Anyone think the limited contact in TC has anything to do w/ the fumbles and general though time the starters had vs. Bucs? If you think about it, this was the first time that the first string had any real contact w/ tackling since last year. No real contact in TC (even less then normal), everything 3/4 speed or less, and no tackling for the first team vs Titans.

Maybe Dave is babying them too much by restricting the contact to save injuries?? Or maybe they will start slower but be able to get it on course in time for the season and still have some gas in the tank for Dec and beyond???

Actually, there was an article in todays paper about that. Apparently there was a memo that came down from the league office about limiting the old "hard core" type pratices and teams now only hit only once a day and some days not at all, where they used to go all out on all practices every day. Think something about the Korey stringer lawsuit has alot to do with it. But even so, it may have hurt our guys, but it hasn't hurt the Bucs tho! :eek:

McMichael fumbled on our first possession. Minor also fumbled in a weak fashion.

It's a double-edged sword. You can either have them hit and risk injury/get them tired. Or you can take it easy, keep them fresh, and perhaps wait a week or two for them to get back up to snuff tackling.

This is a veteran team. They know how to tackle. I think Dave is doing the right thing. Looking at the injury list from Thursday, God knows he had the right idea.

Originally posted by VictorVonCrunk
See this is the problem w/ pre-season. Peeps tend to over analyze every little move since there really isn't anything major going on now. I'd rather see losses in pre-season so they can have the problem areas exposed. Correct those problems and make the regular season a success. Wait a sec, isn't that what pre-season is for?
I'm not exactly sure what your point is. You say that people over analyze everything, but then go on to say that discovering the problems is what preseason is for. That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I realized we didn't look so great, and rather then panicing I'm trying to figure out why.

I think the bigger problem is people burying their head in the sand and not wanting to admit that our first team didn't play very well.

All the excuses are there for the taking:
They put in more prep time
Jay was out
Griese is new
etc.

All of which are true of course but:
Winners win - losers make excuses!

And it's not that I'm panicing, or that I put too much weight on preseason, but I don't blame the fumbles, runs on us up the middle or the hard time our OL had on them throwing the playbook at us. We just got beat by a good team.

There are a lot of positives from the game (Sage, Simmons, b/u punter, etc), but If we plan on being a playoff/SB team, we must improve. And I believe we will.

So if we can stop the witch hunt for 'the sky is falling' people and just focus on the team improving we'll be fine!

Back to the thread:
Did the lack of contact in TC have anything to do with the teams play?

I think to some extent it did!

Originally posted by jphandal
fumbles......doesnt really matter......PRESEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U dont killl yourself in the first preseason game c'mon....I predict th BUCS will run out of gas!!! THEY ARE PLAYING evry preseason game like they are trying to prove something....WHY???they are the world champs i mean CHUCKIE is getting carried away and honestly our injuries are important but its just because of lack of contact as long as KONRAD will be OK its no problem....PERRY is important but that wont break our season...KONRAD and simmons worry me but they are probably going to be fine....PRESEASON DOESNT MEAN SH%#...DONT STRESS OVER FRIDAY GUYS!

Possibly Dude, but I think in the long run the less physical TC's will pay-off in a HUGE way in December and January.

Oliver...

I hate the pre-season doesn't matter "morons". First of all pre-season is where you don't come to make mistakes but if you are going to make mistakes you have to make them in pre-season so when you get into the season you are playing efficiently. Pre-season is also an evaluation process for every single player no matter if the guy has made a million pro-bowls.

Originally posted by juniorseau55
I hate the pre-season doesn't matter "morons". First of all pre-season is where you don't come to make mistakes but if you are going to make mistakes you have to make them in pre-season so when you get into the season you are playing efficiently. Pre-season is also an evaluation process for every single player no matter if the guy has made a million pro-bowls.

I think you misunderstand what ppl mean when they say, "pre-season doesn't matter". As far as team goals, it means ZERO, no doubt. On an individual player assessment, that's a whole dif thing. As far as getting into reg-season physical shape, again that’s a whole dif thing.

The only game that has even the slightest meaning as far as team goals is the game against the Falcons. Both teams will be game planning, and they will be throwing more plays to run at the opposition than any other pre-season game. Even that game is significantly handicapped, because the amount of plays and time spent game planning for a specific team is truncated or shortened compared to a reg-season game. They do this to not give their reg-season opponents any extra game film and time to crack their formations before they have to.

No you are not evaluating those ex or current pro-bowl players. You do that during the regularly season. Pre-season games are to evaluate specific players if their is compition going on to decide who will start during the reg-season or who will be your 45th-53rd man you keep on the roster.

And yes that's exactly what pre-season is for, to make mistakes. You have pre-season to make mistakes so you can hopefully correct them in time for the reg-season.

The biggest point is none of these games will count as soon as the reg-season starts, that’s a fact. If believing all these things makes me a moron, then I’m a proud moron, thank you.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Oliver

Possibly Dude, but I think in the long run the less physical TC's will pay-off in a HUGE way in December and January.

Oliver...

very true, just look at Marv Levy's TC's as an example...they were soft as hell, but the Bills had lots of energy at the end of the season

Originally posted by CirclingWagons

very true, just look at Marv Levy's TC's as an example...they were soft as hell, but the Bills had lots of energy at the end of the season

This is new for the Phins. I know most NFL teams have this philosophy these days. I guess we'll see how this works with the Dolphins.

Oliver...

Originally posted by CirclingWagons

Good point CW, and good to see ya posting.:D

keep on mind guys that we were 3 and 3 in the preseason back in 72. Yes, there used to be 6 preseason games back then and we were 3 and 3 and then went 17 and 0 in the REAL season.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom