Lionel Messi wins the Golden Ball...again! 3 title in a row. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lionel Messi wins the Golden Ball...again! 3 title in a row.

No doubt in my mind....Messi is a goal scoring machine, well at least when he wear the Barca jersey :ponder:

As much as I wanna consider somebody else to be the best player in the world, all you have to do is watch Messi and the guy is a maestro with the ball.

If he can bring his club level to his national team and win them a WC . . . I could see him being mentioned as a potential GOAT.

The scariest thing about it all is that he is still only 24 years old. Insane.

He seems to have been around forever, scored some of the greatest goals of all time, played in one of the greatest teams of all time, broken numerous records, won every major competition (except the world cup) and individual award there is. Regardless of whether he wins the WC with Argentina or not I still think he'll be considered the best ever when his career is done. He has at least two and probably three world cups left in him too, you've gota like his chances especially since the next one is in Brazil (close to home etc.) where the European teams will likely struggle and that Spanish team is getting on nowadays so can't say they'll be as good in 2014 as they were in 2010.

The scariest thing about it all is that he is still only 24 years old. Insane.

He seems to have been around forever, scored some of the greatest goals of all time, played in one of the greatest teams of all time, broken numerous records, won every major competition (except the world cup) and individual award there is. Regardless of whether he wins the WC with Argentina or not I still think he'll be considered the best ever when his career is done. He has at least two and probably three world cups left in him too, you've gota like his chances especially since the next one is in Brazil (close to home etc.) where the European teams will likely struggle and that Spanish team is getting on nowadays so can't say they'll be as good in 2014 as they were in 2010.

Greatest Club Soccer player? Absolutely, but he won't even be considered the greatest footballer in his own country if he doesn't lead his team to a WC . . . and I tell you, with Spain still strong, Brazil reloading and the Germans with arguably the most talent than anybody combining their current squad and youth squads . . . there is no guarantee Argentina makes an impact at any future WC's. Good thing for them is, they have the best player in the world on their squad.

Greatest Club Soccer player? Absolutely, but he won't even be considered the greatest footballer in his own country if he doesn't lead his team to a WC . . . and I tell you, with Spain still strong, Brazil reloading and the Germans with arguably the most talent than anybody combining their current squad and youth squads . . . there is no guarantee Argentina makes an impact at any future WC's. Good thing for them is, they have the best player in the world on their squad.

Obviously there are no guarentees in football. Likewise it is all about opinions and the game has advanced in so many ways since the likes of Pele, Maradona and Eusebio played, I'm not even sure it is fair to compare them to the likes of Messi and Ronaldo. There have been many great footballers over the years no doubt, how many of them were able to combine pace, strength and skill like Messi does? It is certainly open to debate as many would argue Puskas, Best, Cruyff, Zidane etc. all would be right there with Messi.. even though they played different positions and brought their own unique but brilliant contributions. It really is impossible to compare.

Do Argentina have a good chance of winning the world cup in the next 10 years? Yes they do, because they are one of the leading nations in the sport. You can make a case for them just as much as you can Spain, Brazil, Holland, Germany and England. All of these nations have loaded squads and importantly loaded youth squads coming through.

I don't necessarily agree that Messi needs to win a world cup to be considered one of the greatest, if not the greatest, of all time - because to win a WC takes a collective team effort, and while Argentina may have the best attack at international level - their midfield and defence leaves a lot to be desired. I don't see how Messi can do anything about that, no individual can be responsible for winning the world cup.

Obviously there are no guarentees in football. Likewise it is all about opinions and the game has advanced in so many ways since the likes of Pele, Maradona and Eusebio played, I'm not even sure it is fair to compare them to the likes of Messi and Ronaldo. There have been many great footballers over the years no doubt, how many of them were able to combine pace, strength and skill like Messi does? It is certainly open to debate as many would argue Puskas, Best, Cruyff, Zidane etc. all would be right there with Messi.. even though they played different positions and brought their own unique but brilliant contributions. It really is impossible to compare.

Do Argentina have a good chance of winning the world cup in the next 10 years? Yes they do, because they are one of the leading nations in the sport. You can make a case for them just as much as you can Spain, Brazil, Holland, Germany and England. All of these nations have loaded squads and importantly loaded youth squads coming through.

I don't necessarily agree that Messi needs to win a world cup to be considered one of the greatest, if not the greatest, of all time - because to win a WC takes a collective team effort, and while Argentina may have the best attack at international level - their midfield and defence leaves a lot to be desired. I don't see how Messi can do anything about that, no individual can be responsible for winning the world cup.

I somewhat agree and I'm not going to sit here and say I have watched every Argentina match over the past 8 years or so when Messi came in . . . but its clear he hasn't performed on the international stage like he has on the club soccer level . . . which to your point, its not to say he sucks when he plays for Argentina, he is just "that much" better when he plays for Barca.

Messi is going to be considered one of the all time greats, but on "my list", he will never be the GOAT of all time or even considered the GOAT unless he has some success on the World Cup level. Whether that is fair or unfair is just like saying is it fair or unfair that Barca can trott out the 2 best midfielders and the 2 best forwards in the world every match. Elite players make the team around them better, on both the club level and especially the international level for their country and I have not seen that.

But you are right, it is up for debate, and if Messi never has the success for Argentina and you decide to put him as the GOAT, I couldn't be mad about that . . . I just don't think I could ever place him above everyone else.

Argentia should make an impact in the next world cup. I mean Messi, Higuaín,di María,Lamela, El Kuhn, Pastore, Lavezzi, and Gago are all still young, and If Carlos Tevez gets his head out of his arse, he'll contribute as well. The problem is they don't have that much on defense.

Messi should be better in the new Argentina system. Maradona's system didn't really play to Messi's strengths (some of his World Cup choices both in selection and during games were questionable)

Back
Top Bottom