LJ shelton-Travis Henry trade in the works? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

LJ shelton-Travis Henry trade in the works?

new bob

Practice Squad
Reaction score
John clayton said:
Arizona Cardinals tackle L.J. Shelton visited the Buffalo Bills Thursday to help to possibly facilitate a trade between the two teams.

L.J. Shelton
Offensive Tackle
Arizona Cardinals

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int
- - - - - -

The Bills were given permission early this week to meet with Shelton, who was told he could shop his services in exchange for a draft choice in the first day of April's draft. The Bills are looking for left tackle options because they aren't expected to re-sign their starting left tackle, Jonas Jennings, who is an unrestricted free agent.

Shelton, 28, has also received interest from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Denver Broncos and St. Louis Rams.

Shelton's visit to Buffalo creates some interesting possibilities. Because the Cardinals are in need of a starting running back, the Bills could swap halfback Travis Henry to Arizona in a player-for-player trade. Henry wants out of Buffalo after losing his starting job to Willis McGahee and is in the final year of his contract.

The Bills have decided to go with J.P. Losman as their starting quarterback and are also looking to upgrade their offensive line. Jennings wants a signing bonus of around $10 million because he's one of the top tackles on the market, and the Bills aren't willing to meet those demands. They released Drew Bledsoe earlier this week to give Losman the starting job.

Shelton, 6-6, 335 pounds, was the Cardinals' first-round pick in 1999. Dennis Green gave his starting left tackle job to Leonard Davis last season. He has four years remaining on his contract at $3 million a year.

If the Bills decide Shelton is the right fit at left tackle, the financial aspects of this deal are very appealing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1994672
what do you guys think of this? i think this would 100% insure that one of the top three RBs are available by 20-25, and maybe even by 30 if Oakland ends up with lamont jordan. i think this is great news because thats one less team that will draft a rb ahead of us if we trade down. It would end the surtain-shelton and a 2nd rounder however....and end any chance of us somehow getting henry.....
what do you guys think of this?

It would also improve the chances of getting Jennings although he may be out of our price range.

I think Buffalo would be crazy to make that deal. Shelton is an okay left tackle, but he's nothing special. I'd also note that Denny Green knows offensive linemen pretty well, and if he's desperate to get rid of the guy, I'd think twice about grabbing him. In any event, Henry has more value than that, I think, even with his injury problems. Finally, this would close the door on Jonas Jennings' return once and for all.

And though I think Arizona would be getting a much better deal, I'm not a huge fan of trading a draft pick for Henry, so anything that takes him out of play for us, while weakening a division rival, is okay with me.

phunwin said:
And though I think Arizona would be getting a much better deal, I'm not a huge fan of trading a draft pick for Henry, so anything that takes him out of play for us, while weakening a division rival, is okay with me.
:up:

rafael said:
It would also improve the chances of getting Jennings although he may be out of our price range.
that article just said that Jonas wants 10 mil to sign, thats outrageous

Wanny and Rick weren't even stupid enough to give Wade a 10 mil bonus

Dudeman said:

I mentioned it b/c there were some early rumors that Jennings was one one of Miami's top FA targets. I think he's too pricey, but all FA left tackles are. Jennings position makes him more expensive than Wade, so it's not a great comparison. I'd prefer to go with what we have this year and try to pick up a stud LT in next year's draft.

i think for this trade to work, i think the cardinals would have to ive up at least a fourth, or something like a third next year....
which would be good for us, as said, because it would insure either brown benson or caddy fall to the end of round 1...
i think it would suck in a way though because ive always thought that the cardinals were a team that could try to trade up into the 2 spot if denny green were to fall in love with alex smith....giving up a draft pick now and a player would elimate from trading up (theyd be giving away basically the whole draft on a franchise qb and a rb....nothing else)....so this trade would affect us, in good ways and in bad...

We are going to get draft picks only. IMHO no player for player trades unless it involves a pick and a cheaper player.

Dudeman said:

That was because RT Wade wanted LT money, which LT Jennings should get.

death7star said:
willis > travis so trade wont make them weaker

It weakens them by not getting as much as they could for Henry. And it weakens them by downgrading at an extremely important position: LT.

We could just give McIntosh another crack at LT and then draft Ferguson (UVA) next season :confused:

Ya, but to draft Ferguson the Dolphins will have to have a top 5 pick next year.

Back
Top Bottom