Local Papers Condemn past drafts | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Local Papers Condemn past drafts

Hey Zod, using the model first mentioned in the articles and that you then expanded, it seems clear to me now that a team could not afford to trade a first and third to us for Ogun and THEN pay him a $16mill signing bonus with the attendant big contract. Not only does it cost them huge dollars but they need the cap space provided by those picks. Ricky doesn't cost much more than two first rounders would so he "works" for us though it is clearly not the best choice. But for Ogun, its seems highly unlikely and worst of all Drew should know that.

Originally posted by ZOD
The point you miss is that we have not had an influx of good CHEAP talent. Those players you listed play for more than a 1st year 4th round rookie contract. We have still not seen the full ramifications of the veteran guaranteed contracts. The draft failure is partially responsible for the reworking of various contracts throughout the past couple of years.

Take the "my team" sunglasses off and you can see that we are potentially looking at a "Raiders East" here.

I'm with you Zod.

Many on here have been aware of the draft failures well before any of these articles. Wanny NEVER should have had GM duties.
Hopefully now that Rick S. is in charge... and hopefully he truly is.... things can start to turn around for our drafts. The future of the team is a little bleak because of all the blunders and it's time things turn around.

As for the people who will bash all the papers for bringing this stuff up... the "team colored sunglass" wearers. That's normal on here. There are many "homers" who are not able to discuss things objectively. Just the way it is.

Originally posted by ZOD

No harm meant by the sunglasses comment but if you compare even the best case draft picks with the free agent acquisition you'll see the difference.

Boston's cap hit for this year WILL BE 1.9 million
Thompson cap hit WILL BE 1.1 million
2nd rounder Chambers playing under his draft contract will be 712,000.

Seau cap hit WILL BE 3.3 million
2nd round Moore playing under his draft contract will be 613,000
3rd round Greenwood will be 628,000

Knight cap hit will be 1.7 million
Freeman will be 535,000

Larry Chester WILL BE 1.1 million
Dario Romero will be 530,000

On the mess of an O-line
Playing under draft contracts
Mckinney cap hit-530,000
Smith cap hit-458,000
Whitley cap hit-439,000

Free agents
James cap hit 1.2 million
St. Clair cap hit 900,000 (may not start)
Mcintosh- 585,000 (a damaged goods contract this year that will accelerate)

Ogunleye was not a free agent acquisition
Mcintosh's salary will be crushing NEXT YEAR

and Ricky while cheap for performance in free agency at 3.75 million was replaced by a man that has gained just as much yardage and is playing under a draft contract this year at 1.1 million dollars after a HOLDOUT for more in his rookie year.

Can't argue with the numbers!
Great info Zod.
You do in fact pay out the wazoo if you miss in drafts.

The funny thing about Mcintosh's salary is while being "crushing" as you call it, we don't even know what type of contributions if any he will be able to bring to the team as he is injured.

Zod is on the money. A successful draft is very important. You can't depend only of FA because it will get too costy. Obviously, not all drafts will be a huge hit but you need to do well most of the time.

Originally posted by Ohiophinphan
Hey Zod, using the model first mentioned in the articles and that you then expanded, it seems clear to me now that a team could not afford to trade a first and third to us for Ogun and THEN pay him a $16mill signing bonus with the attendant big contract. Not only does it cost them huge dollars but they need the cap space provided by those picks. Ricky doesn't cost much more than two first rounders would so he "works" for us though it is clearly not the best choice. But for Ogun, its seems highly unlikely and worst of all Drew should know that.

I think Drew knew that. It's exactly why RS had to be so firm about 1/3 in public. This was (is?) a three way staring contest between Wale, RS, and the rest of the league. The party that blinks first loses. If it's a team like the Vikings paying Wale Wistrom money and 1/3, they're the ones who blinked. If it's RS taking a 2nd for Wale, it's RS and the Dolphins. If it's Wale signing for half of what Wistrom does, it's Wale (it isn't Drew -- it might not look good for him, but he has a whole body of other work to point at).

ZOD said:
No harm meant by the sunglasses comment but if you compare even the best case draft picks with the free agent acquisition you'll see the difference.

Boston's cap hit for this year WILL BE 1.9 million
Thompson cap hit WILL BE 1.1 million
2nd rounder Chambers playing under his draft contract will be 712,000.

Seau cap hit WILL BE 3.3 million
2nd round Moore playing under his draft contract will be 613,000
3rd round Greenwood will be 628,000

Knight cap hit will be 1.7 million
Freeman will be 535,000

Larry Chester WILL BE 1.1 million
Dario Romero will be 530,000

On the mess of an O-line
Playing under draft contracts
Mckinney cap hit-530,000
Smith cap hit-458,000
Whitley cap hit-439,000

Free agents
James cap hit 1.2 million
St. Clair cap hit 900,000 (may not start)
Mcintosh- 585,000 (a damaged goods contract this year that will accelerate)

Ogunleye was not a free agent acquisition
Mcintosh's salary will be crushing NEXT YEAR

and Ricky while cheap for performance in free agency at 3.75 million was replaced by a man that has gained just as much yardage and is playing under a draft contract this year at 1.1 million dollars after a HOLDOUT for more in his rookie year.

Looks to me like a good mix of lower priced players with higher priced veterans. Ogunleye was a FA, he was just a rookie FA. You can't honestly believe you can have a team devoid of veteran talent.

Check back on Chamber's cap hit after we resign (Boston won't look so expensive). Also compare Boston to one of the early 1st round WRs that get drafted this year. That is the fair comparison. We traded for Boston instead of drafting a WR this year. That trade needs to be considered in addition to the draft.

1.2 million is cheap for Jeno James.

Compare McIntosh's salary to what it would have cost to keep Todd Wade. He will only be expensive if he performs.

Over the last two seasons, McAllister has not gained as many yards as Ricky. In addition, the team reworked his contract as a measure of good faith. If we had drafted Ricky, the same thing might have happened. He was traded to us and we could have made him play under his rookie contract.

Of all of the FAs you list, only Thomson is out of line and that is because he didn't perform. You didn't show any killer salaries that are going to make this team the Raiders of the east.

No matter how well you draft, you will always have players that you resign to a higher contract (either by resigning your own players or signing FAs). You will also have a group of players that have reworked contracts.

My point was that the FO has offset the misses in the draft with the signing of FAs and the effective resigning of their own players. The draft cannot be considered in a vacuum. That is why I give the FO a grade of B, even though I don't think they have drafted well.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
My point was that the FO has offset the misses in the draft with the signing of FAs and the effective resigning of their own players.

Your point is well taken but it's a debate for another topic.

The three articles have nothing to do with "subplanting" talent.

I believe the debate stems from the "cyclical nature" of the salary cap.

ZOD said:
Your point is well taken but it's a debate for another topic.
The three articles have nothing to do with "subplanting" talent.

That is the problem with the articles. You can't grade the Dolphin's drafts without taking into account that they traded away their 1st round pick in 2000 for the right to draft Surtain in 1998. You also cannot discount the signing of Ogunleye in 2000. You also have go consider the 2 first round picks (2002 and 2003) for RW.

Its difficult for me to give a failing grade to a FO that has kept the team in contention and avoided a salary cap problem.

BTW, the articles are generally more favorable to JJ's drafts, but the poor selection of Derrick Rodgers is what created the need to draft Morlon Greenwood.

Wanny's drafts were more conservative, hence fewer late round gems and fewer early round disasters (Avery, JJ Johnson, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom