Longest tenured NFL coaches- Coach Mike McDaniel is 18th | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Longest tenured NFL coaches- Coach Mike McDaniel is 18th

It is so, so weird how 9 of the 10 longest-tenured coaches had their teams in the playoffs last year, and the only one who didn't lost Joe Burrow to injury for the season.

Maybe, just maybe, Miami should keep McDaniel around a bit longer.
Bit of a survivorship bias going on here though.

It is so, so weird how 9 of the 10 longest-tenured coaches had their teams in the playoffs last year, and the only one who didn't lost Joe Burrow to injury for the season.

Maybe, just maybe, Miami should keep McDaniel around a bit longer.
And what if Miami remains healthy all year but still can't beat the good teams, win the Division, or win in the playoffs? It would make no sense to keep him with the hope that he might figure it out sometime in the future, as every year that we have to wait is wasting the current talent on the roster.

Actually, in all fairness, I should re-state my opinion. I like McDaniel, and think that he does design some good plays. My problem with him is that he sucks at running the offense against quality opponents. IMO, McDaniel can still design the plays, but he should have someone with experience and a history of some success to run the offense and call the plays. It's one thing for a Coordinator who becomes a HC to have to learn how to be a HC, but it's really stupid to hire a HC who not only has to learn how to be a HC, but also has to learn how to call plays and be a Coordinator too. If McDaniel was as smart as many say he is, then he should realize that since he basically bypassed the OC position and doesn't have the years of experience that other Coordinators have acquired, it would be in the team's best interest for him to hire someone to run the offense.

And what if Miami remains healthy all year but still can't beat the good teams, win the Division, or win in the playoffs? It would make no sense to keep him with the hope that he might figure it out sometime in the future, as every year that we have to wait is wasting the current talent on the roster.

Actually, in all fairness, I should re-state my opinion. I like McDaniel, and think that he does design some good plays. My problem with him is that he sucks at running the offense against quality opponents. IMO, McDaniel can still design the plays, but he should have someone with experience and a history of some success to run the offense and call the plays. It's one thing for a Coordinator who becomes a HC to have to learn how to be a HC, but it's really stupid to hire a HC who not only has to learn how to be a HC, but also has to learn how to call plays and be a Coordinator too. If McDaniel was as smart as many say he is, then he should realize that since he basically bypassed the OC position and doesn't have the years of experience that other Coordinators have acquired, it would be in the team's best interest for him to hire someone to run the offense.

I understand your opinion. I disagree with it.

The thought that head coaches don't get better with age and experience is incredibly short-sighted, imo.

Remember, the Eagles fired Andy Reid because he "couldn't win the big one."

The thought that head coaches don't get better with age and experience is incredibly short-sighted, imo.

Bingo. The Eagles also let Dick Vermeil get "burned out", goes and wins a SB with the Rams, Doug Pederson wins a SB and is shown the door, and now somehow they have shown relative patience with Sirianni. Fickle bunch there in the City of Brotherly Love indeed....

I get the frustration, but as I have said before all of your posts end up in the same place

McDaniel will continue to grow and improve with time and experience. Each year he has pushed this offense farther and farther along and like it or not, has put miami back into a position of relevance in the NFL

I for one am excited for the future of this team and having McD around for a long time. Best thing to happen to this franchise in 20 years......

I’ve said before I think Andy Reid’s trajectory is a good comp for McDaniel. He was accused of passing too much (and at times he did), falling in love with his own play calling, and questionable clock management, and that’s being generous. But he clearly was a brilliant play designer and his play calling improved greatly. Would he have won without Mahomes? Who knows and who cares. The list of coaches who have won championships without great QB’s regardless of the era they played in is quite small.

I’m of the opinion that moving on from McDaniel just means we’ll end up watching him win it all somewhere else.

Who knows with McD? Sparano, Gase, and Flores all had early success that fooled me thinking they’d here long term.

If Dolphins regress and miss the playoffs, it’ll be interesting. Ross hasn’t shown himself patient at all with coaches.

Along with Philbin, Ross fired two of his coaches after their 3rd season and the other two never made it though their 4th season.

You know Ross has to be sour that the Chargers landed Harbaugh.

Last edited:
Who knows with McD? Sparano, Gase, and Flores all had early success that fooled me thinking they’d here long term.

If Dolphins regress and miss the playoffs, it’ll be interesting. Ross hasn’t shown himself patient at all with coaches.

Two of them got fired after their 3rd season and the other two never made it though their 4th season.

Not sure why. He said he would never be the one to take him away from Michigan.

IRRELEVANT!
NEVER!

Along with Philbin, Ross fired two of his coaches after their 3rd season and the other two never made it though their 4th season.

I Agree!!!

Back
Top Bottom