Look at the draft this way | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Look at the draft this way

LdoubleE80

Starter
Reaction score
As we all know, each year we are alloted 7 picks, one in each round.

The real evaluation of a draft is what did we do with those 7 picks.

Here is what we did:

1-Vernon Carey (future RT)
2-Traded last year for Wade Smith (starting LT)
3-Traded down for a 4th round and 5th round pick
4a-Will Poole (dime corner, one of/if not the best value pick in the draft)
4b-Traded to move up for Carey
5a-Traded for David Boston (top 5 WR in league when head on right)
5b-Tony Bua (ST and LB depth)
6-Rex Hadnot (more OL depth, fast riser among draftees)
7a-Tony Pape (competition @ RG, was rated as a 5th rounder by most)
7b-Kendyl Pope (More ST depth, possible Hendricks replacement)

If we picked up TWO bookend tackles with one year's worth of picks. We did PHENOMENALLY. Add in David Boston @ WR...everything else is gravy.

I'm trying to avoid being a homer...but if you look at it that way, it sounds pretty good.

Here's what I see. We drafted 3 offensive line and 2 defensive back field players. That tells me that the FO thinks/feels that we have our scoring weapons in place or expect to obtain more after the June 1st cuts.

I'm still worried that our o line only has 1 player from last year, it concerns me as to how well they'll gel as a unit and protect the QB or open a hole for the RB.

Actually, Seau is who we picked up with the 5th rounder to SD and Boston came for a 7th, plus Jamar Fletcher (who we were going to show the highway anyway).

Agua said:
Actually, Seau is who we picked up with the 5th rounder to SD and Boston came for a 7th, plus Jamar Fletcher (who we were going to show the highway anyway).

wasn't it a conditional 6th plus fletcher

as A Life Long Dolphin Fan(new To This Forum) I Wonder Why Our Front Office Does Not Pick "best Available" We Had Alot Of Talented Guys When We Picked 19th?

welcome aboard seven...

I think it will end up being a good draft for the team. However, only time will tell!

Lmao

Derrick Pope, not Kendyll Pope... big big difference in ability levels and value... Derrick was a justifiable 7th rder, Kendyll was at the least a 4th rd. value and as high as the 7th or 8th best OLB on the board.... i wish we got Kendyll as our last pick in the 7th rd .... lmao

May have been a sixth, I thought it was a seventh. In any event, it was pretty friggin cheap.

LdoubleE80 said:
As we all know, each year we are alloted 7 picks, one in each round.

The real evaluation of a draft is what did we do with those 7 picks.

Here is what we did:

1-Vernon Carey (future RT)
2-Traded last year for Wade Smith (starting LT)
3-Traded down for a 4th round and 5th round pick
4a-Will Poole (dime corner, one of/if not the best value pick in the draft)
4b-Traded to move up for Carey
5a-Traded for David Boston (top 5 WR in league when head on right)
5b-Tony Bua (ST and LB depth)
6-Rex Hadnot (more OL depth, fast riser among draftees)
7a-Tony Pape (competition @ RG, was rated as a 5th rounder by most)
7b-Kendyl Pope (More ST depth, possible Hendricks replacement)

If we picked up TWO bookend tackles with one year's worth of picks. We did PHENOMENALLY. Add in David Boston @ WR...everything else is gravy.

I'm trying to avoid being a homer...but if you look at it that way, it sounds pretty good.

I thought about this as well. Our trades of draft picks for veteran players should be figured into our overall draft evaluation.

Is there anyone who was available at our pick in the 2nd who would be a better OLT than Wade Smith? I think not, especially when considering he has one year of NFL experience, one year of NFL coaching, and one year of working with NFL trainers. Getting solid bookend OTs for the next few years with our 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks seems pretty good to me.

Getting a starting OLB with a 5th round selection is a quality pick-up. That he is also a locker room leader is an added bonus.

The rest of the picks hold decent potential, some more than others. Most of our needs were addressed.

1. Vernon Carey
2. Wade Smith
3. Will Poole and Bua
4. Vernon Carey
5. Junior Seau or Boston?
6. Rex Hadnot
7. Tony Pape
7 (b). Derrick Pope.

I believe that is how it went
I believe that is correct to go with the 7 mandatory picks given to Miami by the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom