Look At This Stat | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Look At This Stat

Void said:
Braylon Edwards - last 3 seasons, 13.8YPT
Mike Williams - 2 seasons 14.45YPT

That may be true but you also have to remember that you can stop a reciever from getting the ball, you cant stop the RB from getting the ball. The RB get more touches per game than a reciever also.

dolfreak said:
I suck at math so i just did this off the top of my head, forgive me. So if we do it the way u said.....

YPT = (yards receiving + yards rushing) / (rushes + receptions)

Ronnie 3393/565 = 6.005

Cedric 6198/1181 = 5.24

Carnell 4215/786 = 5.36

He's still on top of the list !!!!

HE CARRIED THE BALL LESS TIMES. wow did you realize that up until last year Travis Minor averaged close to 6.0 ypc. look at cedrick benson he carried the ball close to 2000 more times than carnell, and almost 3000 more times than Ronnie Brown. witch make his over 5.0 ypc more impressive. if you plan on compairing the numbers take the time to actually look at the numbers.

Void said:
Braylon Edwards - last 3 seasons, 13.8YPT
Mike Williams - 2 seasons 14.45YPT

So what Braylon played a whole nother year.

godfater21 said:
HE CARRIED THE BALL LESS TIMES. wow did you realize that up until last year Travis Minor averaged close to 6.0 ypc. look at cedrick benson he carried the ball close to 2000 more times than carnell, and almost 3000 more times than Ronnie Brown. witch make his over 5.0 ypc more impressive. if you plan on compairing the numbers take the time to actually look at the numbers.
I am throwing the BS card on that Minor comment. Highest he ever averaged was 4.8?? Close to 6?? I think not!!http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235123

And on Benson carrying the ball 2,000 more times and 3,000 more times. WTF Dude!! He only carried it 1,000+ times in college so how do you figure that stat out??? Get a clue!!http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=120228

Perhaps you should take your own advice and look at numbers before posting

LtDan662002 said:
I am throwing the BS card on that Minor comment. Highest he ever averaged was 4.8?? Close to 6?? I think not!!http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235123

going into last year after ricky quit espn talked about how Minor had a 5.4 ypc. plus you are missing the point the point is when you get the ball less times it is easier to have a higher ypc.

godfater21 said:
going into last year after ricky quit espn talked about how Minor had a 5.4 ypc. plus you are missing the point the point is when you get the ball less times it is easier to have a higher ypc.
No the point is that if you are gonna tell someone to check numbers before posting, perhaps that person should really do the same!

Benson Career: 1,112 Carries + 69 Catches= 1,181
Williams Career: 741 Carries+ 45 Catches =786
Brown Career: 507 Carries+ 58 Catches= 565

Hmmmm... 1,181-786= 2,000 (NOT) Actually 565 But close!!
1,181-565= 3,000 (NOT) Actually 616 But again close!!

Do research before telling someone to do research. LtDan OUT!

Shamboubou said:
That may be true but you also have to remember that you can stop a reciever from getting the ball, you cant stop the RB from getting the ball. The RB get more touches per game than a reciever also.

The problem with stats is that if you play around with them enough, you can pretty much come up with whatever outcome you want.

For instance, I think we can all agree that 120yds in a game is decent for a back or a receiver.

For the back with a 6.0 ypt to get 120yds, he needs 20 touches. However, a WR who averages 14.5 ypt only needs 8.27 touches. You could argue that the WR is more valuable because he can gain the same amount of yards with only 40% of the touches.

Anyway, I like the original thought. It's not a bad way to compare players at the same position.

I am glad we got Brown. Look at the stats all you want --- All three will be good pro's -- Benson will get the most carries, maybe the most yards -- Brown will get the most total yards with more catches -- Carnell will share some with Pittman and end up averaging 5 yards a carry. Just a prediction, but I believe all three will end up good pro's with some pro bowls. I just like Brown the best because he seems to have the most potential and catches the ball like LT.

CanadaPhinsFan said:
The problem with stats is that if you play around with them enough, you can pretty much come up with whatever outcome you want.

For instance, I think we can all agree that 120yds in a game is decent for a back or a receiver.

For the back with a 6.0 ypt to get 120yds, he needs 20 touches. However, a WR who averages 14.5 ypt only needs 8.27 touches. You could argue that the WR is more valuable because he can gain the same amount of yards with only 40% of the touches.

Anyway, I like the original thought. It's not a bad way to compare players at the same position.

how many recievers have 132 catches a year?

how many runningbacks have 320 touches a year?

nice one with the WRs, i thought braylon would have more yards per touch than Mike W. neone have any cool YPT guys??

where does benson stand on total carries in college vs other long time pros? i.e. lt, c.martin, corey dillon etc. i wonder if that many carries is a detriment.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
how many recievers have 132 catches a year?

how many runningbacks have 320 touches a year?

I'm just saying, from a purely statistical point of view you can make whichever player you want seem more valuable.

Back
Top Bottom