Looking Back at 83 Draft...... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looking Back at 83 Draft......

so-long-Ricky said:
One of the main reasons Buffalo picked Kelly over Marino was rumors indicated that Danny was going to skip the NFL and go to the USFL while Kelly was suppose to be going to the NFL.

Unfortunately for Buffalo @ the time was the reverse happened to be true.

Wasn't Marino the #1 pick in the USFL draft?

In that draft there was supposed to be no chance that we'd get a shot at any of the top QBs. That's why it makes me laugh when people claim there's no chance we'll get a shot at the top QBs in this draft. The truth is you never know.

Fun Draft. Some stuff I noticed from checking out the rest of the draft on http://www.drafthistory.com :

All 5 AFC East teams drafted QBs. 4 of those QBs (including Elway, even though Baltimore couldn't keep him) represented the AFC in a combined 11 out of the next 16 Super Bowls (from '84-'93, 9 out of 10).

Out of all the teams in the division, only the Jets avoided choosing a Super Bowl QB.

After the dust had settled, the Broncos ended up with both the franchise QB that led them to 5 Super Bowls and the Offensive Coordinator who helped them win the final 2 (Gary Kubiak, 8th round, pick 1).

Our OC, Mike Mularkey was chosen in the 9th round, pick 5, to the 49ers, but started his career (TE) for Minnesota.

4 picks later, the Patriots selected yet another Ricky Williams (the 'Skins took Richard Williams in the 2nd round as well. There've been 5 Dick/Richard/Ricky Williams drafted, and at least 1 free agent. There've been 14 James/Jim/Jimmy Williams [soon to be 15], and 11 Michael/Mike Williams.).

They also selected Ronnie Lippett in the 8th to complete the set with 1982 draftee Andre Tippett. Their names do not rhyme.

If Marino went to the Bills? :boohoo:
I would say that the tought of tought makes me :( . I am just glad he became a :dolphins: Or else I would have been like :tantrum: .

Dr.Rad said:
Marino, Elway, Matthews, D.Green, Kelly... That's my top 5, Elway would go #1 in most Broncos fans' eyes

What about Eric Dickerson, HOF Eric Dickerson.

My big board would be:
1-Dan Marino
2-John Elway
3-Eric Dickerson
4-Bruce Matthews
5-Darrell Green
6-Jim Kelly
7-Curt Warner
8-Chris Hinton
9-Joey Browner
10-Jim Jeffcoat

looking at the bears draft that year, they did pretty well: jimbo covert (1), willie gault (1), dave duerson (3), richard dent (8). we had a pretty good draft - marino (1), reggie roby (6), mark clayton (8). interesting to look back at that year, a lot of teams drafted some of their all-time best players.

Peyton Manning
Fred Taylor
Keith Brooking
Takeo Spikes
Randy Moss
Donovan Darius
Alan Faneca

Donovan McNabb
Edgerrin James
Ricky Williams
Torry Holt
Champ Bailey
Chris McAlister
Daunte Culpepper
Jevan Kearse
Al Wilson

Michael Vick
LaDainian Tomlinson
Richard Seymour
Dan Morgan
Marcus Stroud
Santana Moss
Steve Hutchinson
Casey Hampton
Adam Achuleta
Nate Clements
Deuce McAllister
Reggie Wayne
Todd Heap

2nd round
Drew Brees
Kyle Vanden Bosch
Alge Crumpler
Ken Lucas
Chad Johnson
Kris Jenkins
Fred Smoot
LaMont Jordan
Chris Chambers
Shaun Rogers

Later rounds
Derrick Burgess
Steve Smith
Rudi Johnson
Edgerton Hartwell

Carson Palmer
Andre Johnson
Terence Newman
Byron Leftwich
Kevin Williams
Terrell Suggs
Marcus Trufant
Troy Polamalu
Willis McGahee
Larry Johnson
Nick Barnett

SMadison29 said:
What about Eric Dickerson, HOF Eric Dickerson.

My big board would be:
1-Dan Marino
2-John Elway
3-Eric Dickerson
4-Bruce Matthews
5-Darrell Green
6-Jim Kelly
7-Curt Warner
8-Chris Hinton
9-Joey Browner
10-Jim Jeffcoat
I'd agree if you move Browner up to 8 and Jeffcoat to 9 and drop Hinton to 10...regarless it was an amazing class not only for QB's but 2 great RB's as well...one of the best corners ever(Green) and one of the top 5 or 6 o-lineman ever(Matthews) but what's more amazing is that you'd expect more superbowl rings in there than there actually were.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom